CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Verizon wireless (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/382735-verizon-wireless.html)

Dhill May 27th, 2011 07:40 AM

Verizon wireless

LAST March my wife and I went on a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on the Sapphire Princess. Before we left my wife called Verizon to find out about what charges there would be while we were away.Last night she told me she had been on the phone with Verizon and Princess CRuises> It seems Verizon is claiming that Princess sent Verizon a bill on are behalf for $80.00.Why would Princess send Verizon a bill? Wouldnt Princess have gotten there $80 from us before we left the ship?Verizon says the $80 is for data whatever that is ? We are faxing the bill to Princess so they can take a peak at it. Has anyone else have something like this happen to you?

Lakers Fan May 27th, 2011 08:10 AM

Not related to cruising but a lot of problems with Verizon and their billing practices .

Mike M May 27th, 2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1373189)
LAST March my wife and I went on a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on the Sapphire Princess. Before we left my wife called Verizon to find out about what charges there would be while we were away.Last night she told me she had been on the phone with Verizon and Princess CRuises> It seems Verizon is claiming that Princess sent Verizon a bill on are behalf for $80.00.Why would Princess send Verizon a bill? Wouldnt Princess have gotten there $80 from us before we left the ship?Verizon says the $80 is for data whatever that is ? We are faxing the bill to Princess so they can take a peak at it. Has anyone else have something like this happen to you?

Sorry, but the charges for the ship's cell service are billed to your cell phone provider and not your on board account so the $80 charge is legit. You must have not turned "data mode" off on your phone. Or you used your phone while you were between islands.

Your situation is not unique. Many people leave their phones on, while between islands, and the ship's cell service becomes the carrier. When traveling you should always turn "Roaming Off" and "Data Off" to avoid charges.

Take care,
Mike

DonD May 27th, 2011 09:34 AM

We recently did a Mexico cruise and when my Verizon bill came it had a charge of $4 for data. I called Verizon and explained that all I did was to turn on my phone to use the alarm feature while in Mexican waters. She removed the data charge and suggested that I use the Airplane mode on my phone whenever we are out of the country. She was very courteous.

blueliner May 27th, 2011 01:32 PM

Actually Verizon has a great international program for anyone traveling outside of the US and Canada. We utilized it last year for our cruise in Europe. Verizon sent me a seperate phone that was programed to work in the countries we were visiting and then I purchased a temporary international plan and then for the 10 days we were in Europe it costs barely little more than I would have normally paid for my usual US national plan. When I got back I canceled the international plan and sent the phone back to Verizon. My wife was able to call home to her parents daily to check on our daughter and we made some calls in Europe locally and it costs me maybe $20 total. The only point the Verizon people told me was that any calls that went through the ship's cell phone system would cost us $2.49 a minute additional, so we only turned the phone on while we were in port and we had unlimited phone usage in Europe for very little costs. I don't know if other cell carriers offer this service, but Verizon does and I loved it!

HawkeyeFLA May 27th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonD (Post 1373224)
We recently did a Mexico cruise and when my Verizon bill came it had a charge of $4 for data. I called Verizon and explained that all I did was to turn on my phone to use the alarm feature while in Mexican waters. She removed the data charge and suggested that I use the Airplane mode on my phone whenever we are out of the country. She was very courteous.

Cannot stress enough the importance of Airplane mode when travelling in general, but especially on cruises. As much as I like getting away from it all, I think one of the reasons I liked USVI and PR was that I had full Sprint 3g coverage when I was there. After 2 sea days, it was nice to call and chit chat with my mother. :) And in PR, I was able to call a coworker originally from there to get some ideas on where to eat near the port. Of course she suggest Senior Frogs. *ugh*

Dhill May 27th, 2011 10:19 PM

Well now thats nice to know after the fact. I guess we will chalk it up to a lesson learned. Altho i dont know if she turned her phone off or what. She handles the phone situation I hate phones I dont like talking on them. I guess its good that she does. I wonder why Verizon wouldnt of mentioned about turning the phone off when she talked to them before the cruise? Oh well no sence in crying over spilt milk.:)

Lakers Fan May 27th, 2011 10:26 PM

Verizon has a very poor PR department .

Manuel May 27th, 2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1373358)
Verizon has a very poor PR department .

That is why I switched to another company.

TM

Lakers Fan May 27th, 2011 11:06 PM

I had a major problem with Verizon about 10 years ago. Luckily a guy I went to HS with was a Verizon VP in San Francisco .He helped me but got so disgusted that he quit his job and weent to work for a competitor .

Kuki May 27th, 2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1373366)
I had a major problem with Verizon about 10 years ago. Luckily a guy I went to HS with was a Verizon VP in San Francisco .He helped me but got so disgusted that he quit his job and weent to work for a competitor .

NONE of the issue has anything to do with Verizon, it's service, or that of any other company.

IF you LEAVE YOUR PHONE on while at sea, it will automatically connect to Cellular@sea, which is the ship's cell phone service.
I warned people on our Hawaii cruise NOT to leave their cell phones on between ports of call, because it WILL incur charges!!

It would be much more helpful if people QUIT supplying misinformation, when they really don't know the facts.

Dhill May 28th, 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1373222)
Sorry, but the charges for the ship's cell service are billed to your cell phone provider and not your on board account so the $80 charge is legit. You must have not turned "data mode" off on your phone. Or you used your phone while you were between islands.

Your situation is not unique. Many people leave their phones on, while between islands, and the ship's cell service becomes the carrier. When traveling you should always turn "Roaming Off" and "Data Off" to avoid charges.

Take care,
Mike

I am sorry I dont understand.I dont know if she turned it off or not. I try not to get involed in the phone matters.So I guess what your saying is that if the phone was on while we were on the ship that we would of been charged for being connected to Princess cell service even tho the phone was not being used? What if we were sitting on the beach and the ship was anchored just off the beach where we could see her would it be The ships cell service or a land based cell service?And in my opion they should have something posted in the rooms on the ships about all this or maybe they do and we just missed it.:)

Kuki May 28th, 2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1373402)
I am sorry I dont understand.I dont know if she turned it off or not. I try not to get involed in the phone matters.So I guess what your saying is that if the phone was on while we were on the ship that we would of been charged for being connected to Princess cell service even tho the phone was not being used? What if we were sitting on the beach and the ship was anchored just off the beach where we could see her would it be The ships cell service or a land based cell service?And in my opion they should have something posted in the rooms on the ships about all this or maybe they do and we just missed it.:)

You wouldn't have a problem on land, as the land based cell towers would pick it.

On the ship, if the phone is left on, it "acts" just as it would on land, and look for service, even if you're not using the phone. It is "roaming" and you get charged International Roaming Rates (without touching the phone).

I know you were reading my Virtual cruise reports from the Sapphire Princess, so I'm surprised you missed that in my reports.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, the ships should publicize this in the "dailys"! And I said so.

On my last cruise on Crystal, once I heard my mother was ill, I had to leave the phone on. My bill for the few days was in the hundreds of dollars, but I had no choice.

Dhill May 28th, 2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1373407)
You wouldn't have a problem on land, as the land based cell towers would pick it.

On the ship, if the phone is left on, it "acts" just as it would on land, and look for service, even if you're not using the phone. It is "roaming" and you get charged International Roaming Rates (without touching the phone).

I know you were reading my Virtual cruise reports from the Sapphire Princess, so I'm surprised you missed that in my reports.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, the ships should publicize this in the "dailys"! And I said so.

On my last cruise on Crystal, once I heard my mother was ill, I had to leave the phone on. My bill for the few days was in the hundreds of dollars, but I had no choice.

Now we understand we probaly did read about it in your posts it probaly just slipped our minds. We were pretty excited first cruise and all just a lesson learned and we will know better next time Not the end of the world. I think I would just like to leve all our phones at home next time I hate phones.:)

HawkeyeFLA May 29th, 2011 01:50 AM

Now when I was on Costa in USVI and PR, I was on the ship as it was backing out of the docks and talking to my mother, but at that point I was still linked into the land towers. Of course I also keep my phone locked down to NO NONE ZERO roaming. It will only connect to a Sprint tower, so that helps. Same when I was on Carnival in Key West. As we were leaving I was on the phone a lot trying to get ahold of my CU to make sure that a credit card payment happened right. (Thankfully it did, but still).

So again, it all depends on how you configure your phone. Know before you go.

green_rd May 29th, 2011 01:58 PM

Data charges are for anything other than phone calls or texts - browsing, you tube - sending or receiving photos or video.

International programs don't affect shipboard charges, though we did take a world phone with us to Europe to be able to check messages while in port.

Dhill May 29th, 2011 02:58 PM

I guess my wife did have her phone turned on a couple of times while on board.So the charges are legit.I still wonder why Princess sent the bill to verizon if its the ships cell service.It would be nice if it was just charged to your obc! And why do you get charged if the phone is turned on? You leave your phone on when your on land.Or do you also get charged if your phone is roaming while on land? We are not very phone savy.It would also be nice if the cruise lines would post something in the staterooms! makes you wonder just how much money the cruiselines make off of the phones.:roll:

Mike M May 29th, 2011 10:25 PM

Dhill,

The way all cell systems work is that the carriers share towers and services. You may be a Verizon customer but may be on a Sprint owned tower. You have no idea but Sprint calculates the fees and passes them on to Verizon. Providers have worked out the charges between them and when you get your bill it is transparent.

The charges worked out between the cell providers and MTN Cellular@sea (the service all ships use) is $2.95 a minute and $x for data and text. I can't remember the cost per text or megabyte of data off the top of my head.

The reason it is considered "roaming" is because the cost of having cell service at sea is much more expensive. The ship sends the information up to the MTM satellite and then it's beamed back to the appropriate cell carrier and dispersed from their network. The satellite time is expensive and not in control of any of the cell providers.

And yes, there are still places in the continental U.S. where you are roaming with Verizon. The U.P. of Michigan, parts of North Dakota, Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming to name a few. Some other carriers you can be "roaming" in major metropolitan areas.

The cruise lines don't make much off each cell call but they make it up in volume. :) I really have no idea what they make but they have to make a profit or they wouldn't offer the service.

Take care,
Mike