Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Default MDR question

Who from the cruise ship's staff determines the seating arrangement in the MDR ? How is it done ? I've been told that people are seated as they are because of something they share in common such as residence location but I've never been at a table with anyone that I shared a location with .
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree Henry, sometimes it feels like they just pick names out of a hat, no rhyme or reason to the seating. Even when we cruised with the kids, we were never at a table with other kids. I felt the other cruisers may have not wanted a table with kids, since they didn't have any with them, just didn't make sense.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Admiral

I did notice a large table of single cruisers together on our last cruise. But we have not noticed any particular pattern with our dinner companions.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The maitre 'd does try to match similar people. However, I don't think they put as much effort into it as they used to.

On my last Carnival cruise with my Son-in-law. We were seated with two families, with small children, at a table for eight. We asked to be moved because one of the families (the father and mother) were quite abrasive. We were then moved to a table for two. Oh well.

Over the years we've been seated with great people and the good seatings are far far more numerous than the bad ones.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Admiral

On our first two cruises with Royal Caribbean they seemed to go by Passport. First cruise, they apparently used my husbands as we were seated with a bunch of Canadians the second cruise they used mine and we were seated with 8 brits. Princess it seems like they put them in a hat and just start pulling.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Admiral

we always travel in a group so i have no idea, but that is a really good question
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Admiral

On my first solo cruise on Carnival Sensation, I was placed at a table of solos, not all singles, and all much younger. They could have been sons in age.
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I have to agree Henry, sometimes it feels like they just pick names out of a hat, no rhyme or reason to the seating. Even when we cruised with the kids, we were never at a table with other kids. I felt the other cruisers may have not wanted a table with kids, since they didn't have any with them, just didn't make sense.
Donna, my experience has been different. When traveling with the 3 boys we were always seated with couples with similar aged kids. Our cruises without the boys, we've been seated with other couples without kids. My wife went on a 'girls only' cruise with her sister, and they were seated at a 4-top with a couple of ladies traveling together. RCL, CC and Princess were in this mix. Ours were always booked well in advance with no wait-listing, if that makes any difference...
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

We've met some wonderful people on our cruises but none that we had anything in common with.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Admiral

We always ask for a large table, and 99% of the time, Carnival seats us with other couples, near our age. Once in a while, we'll get an "odd man out" at our large table, but that's certainly been the exception, rather than the rule. I personally, think Carnival does an excellent job of matching up folks at the large tables.

"SKY"