Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Default Why cruise over a land trip?

What are your reasons to keep cruising? vs exploring somewhere on your own?

We just returned from a wonderful 17 day cruise, the food, the ports, the service, everything was great - absolutely nothing to complain about. Yet when we returned both of us stated we prefered our land trip last year instead.

Now we have a 21 day cruise booked next year which we got at a steal because of a Princess price screw up and don't know what to do.

So....what keeps you cruising vs branching out on your own?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Admiral

We primarily cruise but have taken a lot of land trips in last few years. One definite advantage of cruising is not having to pack and unpack every few days and not having to use up valuable daytime in moving from one location to another. One definite advantage of land trips is a lot more flexibility on where to go (couldn't go to Tibet on a cruise nor spend a week in the Swiss and Austrian Alps) and a lot more flexibility on time spent (two weeks in Israel/Jordan).

There are also other advantages for cruising primarily dealing with quality of accomodations/food. There are many places that many people (my wife included) do not want to do on land trip because of cleanliness issues (e.g. Mexico (where she caught salmonella) or India). It is great to be able to see Taj Mahal or Mayan ruins while enjoying the comforts of a cruise ship.

We will continue to cruise as our primary means of vacation while we are working and time limited. When we retire, we realize that cruising will need to be mixed with long land trips to see more of North America, Europe, and Australia. As we have already spent a month in China and lived two years in Japan, I believe that the remainder of our Asia touring, along with South America, will be done from, or in conjunction with, cruises.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Trackypup

I have to agree with you - no surprise there

I have just returned from a Baltic cruise - which was convenient but that was the best that could be said for it. Copenhagen was manically busy with 2 vessels in port - not pleasant.

For India and Africa, my vacations were land based - still trying to figure out the best port for the Victoria Falls and Botswana

My next 3 vacations will all be land based because I love the flexibility and I love the buzz of travelling on European trains etc - my senses register I am abroad and I love eating in family run restaurants which I miss on a cruise ship. I do not like eating in MDR which remind me of School Dining Halls

Maybe I am just too good an independent traveller

Annie
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Captain

Smile

We have only been on one cruise but are planning on more.We are also planning to fly to Maui for a week next April.We like to cruise because it gives us time to be together and have some alone time.Now that our girls are all moved away we can start doing more traviling. One of the things that will keep us cruising is the price you cant beat it You get all your food,a place to sleep,entertainment,and transportation to diffrent ports.After planning a trip to Maui we realize just what a good deal cruising is.The only draw back is the time you get to spend in the diffrent ports its to short but we can always fly back to spend more time if we want.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
We have only been on one cruise but are planning on more.We are also planning to fly to Maui for a week next April.We like to cruise because it gives us time to be together and have some alone time.Now that our girls are all moved away we can start doing more traviling. One of the things that will keep us cruising is the price you cant beat it You get all your food,a place to sleep,entertainment,and transportation to diffrent ports.After planning a trip to Maui we realize just what a good deal cruising is.The only draw back is the time you get to spend in the diffrent ports its to short but we can always fly back to spend more time if we want.
I think cruising "Can" be a good deal but not all the time. On the River Cruise thread someone talked about the Seine cruise. Just checking Viking River Cruises they want $2,200 for a week per person. We had an apartment in Honfleur and a car for around $2,200 for the two of us for a week.

You mention Hawaii. Our last land trip to Maui at the Sheraton in an Ocean View room was $199 a night. What's a balcony cabin cost these days doing Hawaii? $2,500 per person?

There are definitely some cruises that are cheaper than land trips, don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you but it's not always the case.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Over the past 45 years we have done 5 cruises and at least 35 land but our preference now is cruise.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Over the past 45 years we have done 5 cruises and at least 35 land but our preference now is cruise.
Hmmm that's interesting... why did it change? do you know? or did you discover cruising later in your vacationing lives?

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Admiral

We had a gap of 21 years between our first and second cruises .
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I like the pre-cruise planning, but once on a cruise it is just so stress free. No worry about where your next meal is going to be or what it will be. Your entertainment and activities are all onboard, plus you get the added thrill of ports, where again, you can have excursions already planned out. I believe cruising is also very cost effective, just the way to go.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

For my relaxing cruise weeks, I'd be happy if the ship left Galveston and circled around the Gulf without making a stop until it returned a week later. One island looks a lot like another after a while.

Contrast that with our Hawaiian cruise this past year. It was really nice only because we revisited the places where we'd spent our 'land based' honeymoon. It was like a Cliff Notes version of our earlier trip. Would have felt like it was not the best way to see the Islands if we had not been there before.

Wife's Sis and BIL really want us to join them on a Mediteranian Cruise next year. I am torn because I'd rather do a land trip the first time around the block, then follow it up with cruises. Especially after my Hawaii experience...

Last edited by Doug S; May 30th, 2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
First Mate

Default Combine

Try a cruise with a combined cruise / land package by the cruiseline and the same service and quality with luggage pickup is in place.
Alaska is a popular way to fly to a point, do a land package where the cruiseline owns the lodges, train and buses than after 4 -5 days you get on board their ship.
Same agent for all aspects

We will ve doing our own land in Australia but then doing a cruise around Australia and visiting many ports , no packing for 28 days
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs down Tried land once

We did one combined land and cruise. The land portion was our first and last land tour.

Pack – unpack (living out of a suitcase)
Check in – check out
“Have your bags in the lobby at 7:00am”
“Wait for the bus” (i.e. hurry up and wait)
On the bus – off the bus

Along with the logistics, there are two other concerns:
Where will we eat and what’s the food like?
What are the restrooms like and when do we get to them?

One final concern: If I have a bad day and just don’t feel well on a cruise, I can lay around the ship. On an organized land tour – the show must go on!
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdgp View Post
We did one combined land and cruise. The land portion was our first and last land tour.

Pack – unpack (living out of a suitcase)
Check in – check out
“Have your bags in the lobby at 7:00am”
“Wait for the bus” (i.e. hurry up and wait)
On the bus – off the bus

Along with the logistics, there are two other concerns:
Where will we eat and what’s the food like?
What are the restrooms like and when do we get to them?

One final concern: If I have a bad day and just don’t feel well on a cruise, I can lay around the ship. On an organized land tour – the show must go on!
Ohhh let me clarify, I'm not remotely talking about a Bus Tour ...No way in Hell comes to mind. I'm referring more to having part of a villa in the South of France, or a Hotel on the Amalfi Coast for a week.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Trackypup

What are the details of the good Princess deal? If the itinerary covered wide range of ports on my bucket list at a really good price - I would not rule it out.

I have thought about your OP more ; if all I wanted from a vacation is a relaxing week where sightseeing was not important, I would consider cruising again and put up with the poorer food and bland entertainment - nobody shout please - I didn't realise I was a foodie until I cruised the mainstream lines.

If 'travelling' was my main priority - I would land travel.

I hope that makes sense.

Annie
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Trackypup

What are the details of the good Princess deal? If the itinerary covered wide range of ports on my bucket list at a really good price - I would not rule it out.

Here's the itinerary... Princess made an error on their group pricing. The price should be $6,000 pp we're paying $3,500 which really is a steal for 21 days on the Ocean Princess. BC Balcony Guarantee. It definitely has some places that I'd love to go or go back to with some repeats for us.

Barcelona, Spain....Sete, France....Portofino, Italy.....Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy.....At Sea.....Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia......Sorrento/Capri, Italy......Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.....At Sea......Itea, Greece......Cephalonia, (Argostoli), Greece......Santorini, Greece.......Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey......Aghios Nikolaos, Greece......Athens (Piraeus), Greece......Mykonos, Greece.......Katakolon (Olympia), Greece......Corfu, Greece.......Dubrovnik, Croatia......At Sea......Koper, Slovenia......Venice, Italy

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Here's the itinerary... Princess made an error on their group pricing. The price should be $6,000 pp we're paying $3,500 which really is a steal for 21 days on the Ocean Princess. BC Balcony Guarantee. It definitely has some places that I'd love to go or go back to with some repeats for us.

Barcelona, Spain....Sete, France....Portofino, Italy.....Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy.....At Sea.....Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia......Sorrento/Capri, Italy......Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.....At Sea......Itea, Greece......Cephalonia, (Argostoli), Greece......Santorini, Greece.......Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey......Aghios Nikolaos, Greece......Athens (Piraeus), Greece......Mykonos, Greece.......Katakolon (Olympia), Greece......Corfu, Greece.......Dubrovnik, Croatia......At Sea......Koper, Slovenia......Venice, Italy
Hi

If it was me, I would retain the booking for the Ocean Princess. One big plus in its favour is it is a small ship.

Like yourself, I have already seen a lot of these ports and I would have a nice mixture of relaxing days and sightseeing days. I know it may be a heresy for some but I would consider skipping Rome partly because of the distance from port and I have spent 1 month in Rome.

Just one slight ommission in the itinerary for me - no Istanbul - I would gladly sacrifice Rome, Kusadasi or Tunis.

Enjoy

Annie
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:

IfJust one slight ommission in the itinerary for me - no Istanbul - I would gladly sacrifice Rome, Kusadasi or Tunis.

Enjoy

Annie
I wouldn't even be hesitating if this had Istanbul on it. It's funny, that's how we found this itinerary. I was checking around and saw this itinerary, sent it to my husband saying too bad it didn't include Istanbul but thought we'd get a quote on it anyway.

We've been to Rome a couple of time so may do something closer to port, or laundry

It's 3 B2B cruises. When we enquired about dropping the Athens to Venice portion (as they're all repeat ports) the price came back higher for the 14 day than the 21 day. That's when we realized there was an error with our pricing.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Trackypup

Now I am curious - which ports have you not visited? I erroneously assumed they were the Greek ports.

Annie
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Admiral

New to us would be:

Sete, France..
Portofino, Italy.
Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia..
Itea, Greece.
Cephalonia, (Argostoli), Greece.
Aghios Nikolaos, Greece..
Koper, Slovenia

Hawaii By land x 2
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The main reasons I would choose a cruise over a land vacation are:

More relaxing: Short of going to an AI and sitting on the beach I find a cruise more relaxing than doing a "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" land tour.

Only unpacking one time: You don't have to live out of a suitcase.

Ability to tailor what you do: I have a medical issue and if I'm not feeling well on one day then I can just rest. If I am on a land tour or required to go to another destination then I'm out of luck.

Variety: You see more places.

No worry about hotels. You know that your cabin will always be there and be clean.

I know what I'm getting: I know what is included, not included and what is available in terms of food, entertainment and itinerary.

This doesn't mean I forsake land trips. We still go to different parts of the country and world. Next year for my wife's retirement we will spend a month in Spain and explore that area in depth.

Cruising does have its negatives, such as too little time in port, but overall I find it the most accommodating and best value for my needs.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
New to us would be:

Sete, France..
Portofino, Italy.
Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia..
Itea, Greece.
Cephalonia, (Argostoli), Greece.
Aghios Nikolaos, Greece..
Koper, Slovenia
Trackypup

I am going to sleep on this - for me,if my list of new ports was the same, I don't know if 7 new ports in 21 days would be sufficient.

Annie
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Mike

I understand your reasoning - I fortunately don't have a medical issue to consider.

Next year is a big birthday for me so it will be 1 month in Italy for me - can't wait!

Annie
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Trackypup

I am going to sleep on this - for me,if my list of new ports was the same, I don't know if 7 new ports in 21 days would be sufficient.

Annie
Let me know what you think. There are other ports that are repeats such as Florence but we're planning on doing the Cinque Terra that day which would be new. In Santorini, we've been twice (Love It) and this time want to walk the Caldera to Oia so even though some are repeated, we'll be doing new things.

I know what you mean though! I just keep thinking that places like Crete, Delphi would be difficult to see without being on a cruise.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Let me know what you think. There are other ports that are repeats such as Florence but we're planning on doing the Cinque Terra that day which would be new. In Santorini, we've been twice (Love It) and this time want to walk the Caldera to Oia so even though some are repeated, we'll be doing new things.

I know what you mean though! I just keep thinking that places like Crete, Delphi would be difficult to see without being on a cruise.
OK, here goes:

22 day trip incl embarkation and disembarkation - 19 ports of call.

For me, there would have to be a minimum of 10 fresh ports (on my bucket list) or different activities in repeat ports (my top 10 of ports visited) for me to make the trip irrespective of cost of cruise.

Delphi - I visited by road from Athens and spent an overnight there - def magical IMHO.

Cinque Terre - also magical IMHO - I visited by ferry from Santa Margherita to Portovenere. You learn something new every day - I have learned there is a ferry available from Viareggio.

I hope I have not confused you. What I am saying is I decide on itinerary and then assess the value; a cheap cruise with an itinerary of already visited ports not on my fave list would not interest me if you understand my logic.

Annie
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

There are also other advantages for cruising primarily dealing with quality of accomodations/food. There are many places that many people (my wife included) do not want to do on land trip because of cleanliness issues (e.g. Mexico (where she caught salmonella) or India).
OK to be honest ~I do not cruise the lines Marc has sailed. I wish I had

I have only cruised 3 times - once with Azamara and twice with mainstream cruise lines.
On the latter, there were outbreaks of norovirus on both occasions.
When I elect to cruise again, I will have to factor that in - btw I was unaffected.
FYI, in over 30 land trips from India, Africa to China; Europe to North America - I have never encountered a similar issue.

So I think on health grounds alone, I will probably choose an Azamara or higher standard of cruise line.

Annie
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Annie, I haven't had problems either; regardless, we carry a well stocked medical kit.

I really need to look into Azamara; it seems to be making the stretch to a more all inclusive cruise while living with limitations of ship design.

BTW, I have found safari accomodations to be much more luxurious than even luxury cruise ships; can't wait to get back to South Africa.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Annie, I haven't had problems either; regardless, we carry a well stocked medical kit.

I really need to look into Azamara; it seems to be making the stretch to a more all inclusive cruise while living with limitations of ship design.

BTW, I have found safari accomodations to be much more luxurious than even luxury cruise ships; can't wait to get back to South Africa.
Marc

Ditto on the medical kit - my theory is if I take it, I won't need it

Ditto on safari accommodation as well my South Africa safari was so spectacular ; our guide said we saw sightings that some people NEVER see in 20 years of Safari holidays.

The only big cat making a kill missing from my 'collection' is the Indian Tiger.

Annie
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
OK, here goes:

22 day trip incl embarkation and disembarkation - 19 ports of call.

For me, there would have to be a minimum of 10 fresh ports (on my bucket list) or different activities in repeat ports (my top 10 of ports visited) for me to make the trip irrespective of cost of cruise.

Delphi - I visited by road from Athens and spent an overnight there - def magical IMHO.

Cinque Terre - also magical IMHO - I visited by ferry from Santa Margherita to Portovenere. You learn something new every day - I have learned there is a ferry available from Viareggio.

I hope I have not confused you. What I am saying is I decide on itinerary and then assess the value; a cheap cruise with an itinerary of already visited ports not on my fave list would not interest me if you understand my logic.

Annie
Thanks for this, still pondering. I firmly believe in signs and I said the other day to DH that if we do a land trip to Europe I'd like to visit Annecy... today's travel section had an article on Annecy...hmmm

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

This year we took our second trip to Europe. Last time, we just cruised. This time, we took 5 days on our own around Italy before the cruise, then 3 days in London after. The thing that will keep me cruising is that feeling of total relaxation when you get on the boat. You know you will have familiar food, air conditioning, toilet seats, a real comforter on your bed, actual terry cloth towels etc. I truly LOVE Europe and I enjoyed the adventure of doing it all on my own, but after those 5 days around Italy, my husband and I were practically racing each other to the ship. We just needed something familiar. I think that is what makes cruising so appealing. You can have all the adventure of the ports, but the comforts of home(with a maid and all you can eat) in one vacation. Don't get me wrong, I will definitely do short jaunts around Europe on my own again, but I think it will always be punctuated with a cruise.
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Admiral

It is the little things/opportunities that I miss on a cruise

e.g. Taking a midnight walk through cities and photographing sights like the Spanish Steps at dawn with no tourists.

And believe it or not I get bored with the same cabin after 1 week

Annie