Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Default Waitlisted

I spoke to my TA today re MDR on my cruise in July .I had requested Late fixed and she told me that all fixed dining is closed .She said I am listed as Waitlisted open and that if I have a specific time that I want to dine I can reserve each morning . I've never experienced this before .My question is :

Can I call the cruise line tomorrow and get a difinitive dining time ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
Admiral

If you don't trust your TA, it might be time to get a new TA. If the TA said you were waitlisted, what do you expect cruiseline to tell you?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Admiral

This is the first time I used this TA . I am on medication and I have to eat the same (approximate) time each evening . I would expect the cruiseline to allow me to have a specific time .
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Henry,

Calling the cruise line will probably be futile. What I would do is get a letter from your doctor saying you must eat at a certain time. Have your TA submit this to the cruise line. That may or may not work.

It seems you have been assigned to the HAL open seating dining. This does allow you to choose when you want to eat. You can either do a walk-up or make a daily reservation for a specific time. If you must eat at a certain time this will allow you to do that.

Your dining time should have been set at the time of final payment. The chances of having it changed at final payment time were better than they are now.

If all else fails you can just go to the Maitre 'd when you board and explain your situation and see if he can accommodate you. The location of the maitre' d will be in the daily newsletter or guest services will know.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
Admiral

There was no initial payment .I booked the cruise Friday at 4PM and requested fixed dining which she said would not be a problem .She asked me to call this morning to make full payment .Unfortunately I was at a funeral and could not call till 3PM .At that time she told me I was waitlisted .
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

OK: This puts a whole new light on this.

Booking this late into the process almost guarantees that you will not get your choice of seating. The early and late fixed seating would have been filled long ago and open seating is what is left.

It's one of the disadvantages of last minute booking.

I would go to the maitre'd when you board and see what can be done. Sometimes there are openings due to cancellations and people changing to open seating.

If you must eat at a specific time the open seating option still allows you to do this.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's not at all surprising that this close to sailing both traditional dining times would be booked solid.

But, anytime dining should still allow you to eat within a reasonable amount of time that you require with your meds. On HAL I'd bet half the ship is on meds they need to take with food.

The only real difference at anytime is the need to make a reservation, and the fact you won't have the same tablemates each night.

As Mike suggested you can visit the Maitre D the first day, and see if something opens up at traditional.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Admiral

It seems odd the fixed dining is closed and to be waitlisted for open dining. Perhaps you are waitlisted for the late fixed dining. In the mean time all the rest of the comments apply.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Henry, your best bet would be to get a letter from your doctor, take it to your travel agent, have her e-mail or fax the letter to the special services department, keep a copy of the letter, bring it with you on your cruise, and seek out the Maitre D right away and present him with your situation and i am sure he would be able to accomodate your request, if he can't move you into traditional dining i am sure he would be able to get you a fixed time reservation in the open seating/anytime dining.
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Captain

Eating at a specific time is very important to you.
If you are not able to get fixed dining, you still have the options of Buffet and Room Service to ensure that you eat at the right time.

As was mentioned, at least half the pax on a HAL cruise have the same medical requirements as you.
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Default Problem resolved

[QUOTE=Mike M;1374010]OK: This puts a whole new light on this.

Booking this late into the process almost guarantees that you will not get your choice of seating. The early and late fixed seating would have been filled long ago and open seating is what is left.

It's one of the disadvantages of last minute booking.

I would go to the maitre'd when you board and see what can be done. Sometimes there are openings due to cancellations and people changing to open seating.

If you must eat at a specific time the open seating option still allows you to do this.

I called the cruiseline this morning and explained that as I am on medication for a medical problem which I specified they resolved everything to my satisfaction .
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Henry, glad to hear that the cruise line resolved your problem
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
You can either do a walk-up or make a daily reservation for a specific time. If you must eat at a certain time this will allow you to do that.
I am glad the OP got her problem resolved.

BUT -- our experience with the reservation system, both on HAL and Princess, has been that it is essentially worthless. Unless you want to eat at 5:45 or 9:15, they always tell you it is booked up, even if you call the day before! We have given up even trying to make reservations.

However we very rarely have a problem walking up. We have never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Some people have reported half hour waits. I think most medical conditions would accommodate that much wait, especially considering that you are changing time zones anyhow.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Default health

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
I am glad the OP got her problem resolved.

BUT -- our experience with the reservation system, both on HAL and Princess, has been that it is essentially worthless. Unless you want to eat at 5:45 or 9:15, they always tell you it is booked up, even if you call the day before! We have given up even trying to make reservations.

However we very rarely have a problem walking up. We have never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Some people have reported half hour waits. I think most medical conditions would accommodate that much wait, especially considering that you are changing time zones anyhow.
Just to be sure I am going to brink a letter from my doctor .
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Seems to me, that a lot of cruisers get on the wairlist for traditional seating. I wonder why, they don't designate more space for this. My last two cruises I have been on the wait list with hundreds in front of me. Needless to say, I never got the traditional dinner time. I've now become a fan of the anytime, but noticed on my last Princess cruise, when doing to dinner around 6:30, there is a wait and dinner took so long we could not get a seat for the show after dinner. Then we started just going to the Buffet and were in and out in no time.

When I go on Allure of the Seas, there are so many more options, having the anytime will be fine, plus all the tips are paid for when booking cruise, so one less worry to deal with.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Question Dining room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I've now become a fan of the anytime, but noticed on my last Princess cruise, when doing to dinner around 6:30, there is a wait and dinner took so long we could not get a seat for the show after dinner. Then we started just going to the Buffet and were in and out in no time.
That is, IMAO, absolutely outrageous!

If that happened to me I would blast the cruise line on the comment card and on this board and everyplace I could find. The buffet is in no way an acceptable substitute for the dining room.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

When we cruise we do the dining room for all meals .Its part of our relaxation .
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm sure they also see all the people that do want to eat at 6 or 6:30, so why not just add a room for that....and keep it traditional, they have to see the need for that time slot.

Message Boards Moderator