Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy Employment=Frustration

Hello hello!!

Well, after countless hours of searching, researching and calling anyone and everyone who I think can help me out I've come up short... I heard the process to getting someone to look at your resume was very difficult but I never imagined this hard.

I'm a 27 year old Canadian citizen with a ton of hospitality experience on the GM level. I've also Emceed nightclubs of 1000+ people in the area and I've never had trouble getting a job. I've been applying for years now for cruise staff entry level just to get my foot in the door and I've never heard anything. I understand working your way up and I've always been willing to do so but no one ever calls. There are only 2 recruiting companies in Canada and I have been told by one recently that I'm a great candidate but they don't hire for all ships so I might be waiting a long time.

I guess my question is how in the world do you go about getting someone to give you an interview. I do understand that they do not hire for much in north america but I would much like someone to hear me out. I'm bilingual in French and English written and verbal with no difficulty. I'm not looking to just "travel" I have always wanted to work on a cruise ship to work and save money. Travelling is great but that's not why they hire you. I'm a worker and I intend to work.

Please please please someone help me get in contact with someone appropriate that can guide me in the right direction!!

Thank you so much,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
I'm bilingual in French and English written and verbal with no difficulty.
This is always an advantage. I have worked on cruise ships and I suggest you go to our crewmembers area and ask this question.

I can tell you that getting hired as a cruise staff person is not impossible. Personally, I would go straight to the cruise lines, not mess around with any staffing agencies. Those people usually fill the more menial jobs on ships.

Cruise staff jobs come from knowing the right person to talk to - at each cruise, figuring out a way to get them alone for 5 minutes, and selling yourself.

I have been hired by three different cruise lines - and I can tell you the first time came from getting to know the head of entertainment for the line directly, and the second two times I was hired (on the spot over the phone) because of my prior experience.

Put together a solid, cruise-focused resume and cover letter and fed-ex it, signature required, to the person at each major cruise line who hires for the position you want. Request an in person interview and say you are willing to fly to where they are.

Include your work history and a picture. Being honest, they want attractive people on their cruise staffs. And if you are not attractive you need confidence and charisma and a great sense of humor. I saw one cruise staff guy on Holland America who was overweight and a bit sloppy, looking, but he had the quickest wit and the most natural way of talking to people with humor but no condescension or triteness at all that I had ever seen.

Most cruise staff get hired for their ability to organize events and make them "fun". I don't know what kind of work experience you have, but theater, theme parks, etc are all good backgrounds for cruise ship staff.