CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Insurance question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/383076-insurance-question.html)

HawkeyeFLA June 13th, 2011 03:56 AM

Insurance question

So, I have a cruise booked in October. Paid for insurance as well and added a cancel for any reason to it.

My cruise partner has flaked out already. I am still going. Anyone have any experience with this to see if I can recover at least his share of the fare? (Well 75% at least since that's my any reason coverage)

I am still cruising ... I just don't want to have to pay for the flake.

And yes, I am looking for another friend to cruise with me so that this won't be as much of an issue, other than the name change ... and I'm also wondering if the insurance might cover that as well.

green_rd June 13th, 2011 08:03 AM

Does your policy cover both passengers?

LisaK June 13th, 2011 11:14 AM

call your insurance company. Sounds like you paid for your cruise partners cruise fare?if that is the case and you have trip cancellation insurance i would think that you could re-coup that

Donna June 13th, 2011 11:21 AM

For an October cruise, you most likely have not made final payment, so there should be no problem except you need another cabin mate or come up with the full payment? Even with cancellation, there may be some guidelines in order for it to cover. I don't think it covers a change of mind?

MercedMike June 13th, 2011 12:27 PM

Cruise insurance

Cruiseline cancellation policies, and cruise insurance coverages, are extremely complex. You need to check exactly what pertains to your particular situation. "Cancel for any reason" policies are rare and usually full of restrictions, and may only provide a future cruise credit instead of cash.

All of this is what a good local full service Travel Agent is able to sort out for you. Hopefully that is the way you booked and you can simply put all this in the TA's lap.

If you booked online or through an 800 number, you probably get to fight through the paper jungle by yourself. Get on the phone to the cruise line first and find out where you stand in the penalty time. Then read your policy,and get on the phone to the insurance company and find out what they cover.

It may be messy.

Good Luck and Have a GREAT cruise!

HawkeyeFLA June 13th, 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1375972)
Cruiseline cancellation policies, and cruise insurance coverages, are extremely complex. You need to check exactly what pertains to your particular situation. "Cancel for any reason" policies are rare and usually full of restrictions, and may only provide a future cruise credit instead of cash.

All of this is what a good local full service Travel Agent is able to sort out for you. Hopefully that is the way you booked and you can simply put all this in the TA's lap.

If you booked online or through an 800 number, you probably get to fight through the paper jungle by yourself. Get on the phone to the cruise line first and find out where you stand in the penalty time. Then read your policy,and get on the phone to the insurance company and find out what they cover.

It may be messy.

Good Luck and Have a GREAT cruise!

Its booked via a TA, and yeah, full payment has not happened yet. Either way I am going :)

Here's the wording for the cancel for any reason I added:

“Cancel For Any Reason” Protection:
Not available for residents of Washington State
Be advised that the Company requires the Insured to purchase
Cancel for any Reason coverage within 14 days of their initial trip
deposit. If after 14 days from initial trip deposit, this coverage is
not available.
If You purchase the Cancel For Any Reason protection and You
cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this
plan, the Insurer will reimburse You up to the lesser of the limit
shown on Your Confirmation of Benefits or 75% of the prepaid,
forfeited, non-refundable payments or deposits You paid for Your
Trip provided You cancel Your Trip

Eh. I'm waiting to hear from another friend to see if he can go. If not I will call my TA and see what he thinks.

Anyone know off hand what RCCL charges for a name change?