CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   What's "lido"? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/383087-whats-lido.html)

Peachyisthelife June 13th, 2011 03:05 PM

What's "lido"?

(Planning my first cruise here) I'm sure this is quite a dumb question for most of you :D but I keep seeing people use the word "lido". Is this an area on the ship or what?

Trip June 13th, 2011 03:20 PM

This is an upper deck where the pool and buffet are...a very good place to plant yourself.:)

as an example..this is the Sensation lido deck..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-huFhWGmM

Curtis McCrea June 13th, 2011 05:42 PM

The lido is a term used to describe an open deck with a pool. I believe the word lido is italian for pool deck or pool area. :)

johnthed0g June 13th, 2011 05:51 PM

Is is lydo or leedo?
We used to have establishments called Lido's in the UK, they were big outdoor pool areas, the forerunners to waterparks I suppose. they may be a couple left but not many, one of those odd things, everyone loved them but they all closed, the weather doesn't help I suppose, they were only open about 6 months I think.

Curtis McCrea June 13th, 2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1376051)
Is is lydo or leedo?
We used to have establishments called Lido's in the UK, they were big outdoor pool areas, the forerunners to waterparks I suppose. they may be a couple left but not many, one of those odd things, everyone loved them but they all closed, the weather doesn't help I suppose, they were only open about 6 months I think.

John, I haven't a clue. :-?

I personally say 'leedo', I don't know if that is correct or not however.

Paul Motter June 13th, 2011 07:04 PM

From..... Wikipedia....

A lido (pronounced /ˈliːdoʊ/ lee-doh or /ˈlaɪdoʊ/ ly-doh), in the United Kingdom and some other countries, refers to a public outdoor swimming pool and surrounding facilities, or part of a beach where people can swim, lie in the sun or participate in water sports.

On a cruise ship, outdoor pools and the surrounding facilities are referred to as the lido deck.

The term lido is the Italian word for beach and forms part of the place name of several Italian seaside towns known for their beach, e.g. Lido di Venezia, the barrier beach enclosing the Lagoon of Venice.

Possibly the term found its way into English from returning English visitors to Lido di Venezia, where sea-bathing took place from the late 19th century.[1]

The word was first used for a public outdoor swimming pool in the UK in July 1935, in London.

Trip June 13th, 2011 07:07 PM

I have never heard it pronounced anyway but leedo.

Snoozeman June 13th, 2011 07:16 PM

OP: many refer to the buffet area on the ship as the lido buffet as it's usually also found on the pool deck. I believe they do this because Carnival tends to give a different name on each ship for the buffet area. It's easier just to say lido buffet. Who can remember the names? Royal Caribbean actually has it right on this: All the buffet areas are named the Windjammer. Easy to say and remember, I'm eating in the Windjammer.

Curtis McCrea June 13th, 2011 07:22 PM

I agree, I think RCCL's done good in keeping the same name for the buffets...it has a nice ring to it...Windjammer.

Marc June 13th, 2011 08:08 PM

Paul is right in that Lido is actually a resort island off of Venice, Italy.

I would like to know which ship was the first one to name a deck after this island; SS France? SS Norway? SS United States? ???

Snoozeman June 13th, 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1376088)
Paul is right in that Lido is actually a resort island off of Venice, Italy.

I would like to know which ship was the first one to name a deck after this island; SS France? SS Norway? SS United States? ???

Seems like I read that somewhere sometime. Is it one of these these?

Kamloops Cruiser June 13th, 2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peachyisthelife (Post 1376003)
(Planning my first cruise here) I'm sure this is quite a dumb question for most of you :D but I keep seeing people use the word "lido". Is this an area on the ship or what?

Usually refers to the deck that has the pools and casual restaurant.

green_rd June 14th, 2011 07:14 AM

Our next cruise is on Celebrity Summit - I noticed they named the lido deck the Resort Deck. I'll be lost all week.

valtime June 14th, 2011 08:02 AM

lido

Lunch In - Dining Out
" LIDO"

Curtis McCrea June 14th, 2011 09:03 AM

Interesting with the Celebrity ship - I think I'd be lost as well, being used to the word Lido.

Manuel June 14th, 2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1376144)
Our next cruise is on Celebrity Summit - I noticed they named the lido deck the Resort Deck. I'll be lost all week.

I wish that I could go along on that cruise to show you around. I have sailed a total of 20 days on the Summit. :D

TM

Paul Motter June 14th, 2011 10:45 AM

It is funny - but I have also noticed that I am used to the deck being called the Lido deck in elevators. It is confusing when they change the names. Why do they have to do that?

Trip June 14th, 2011 10:52 AM

That old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it works here...Mentally I bet people will still think lido, while cruise lines want to upscale everything.

I knew a poster, early in my chat days, who's screen name was Lidodeck:)

Nothin but blue skies June 14th, 2011 02:13 PM

On our very first cruise, my DH mistakenly referred to it as the "Libido" deck and that name stuck. Now he and I and my DS and BIL all call it the Libido Deck. We think the name is actually pretty appropriate. ;)

green_rd June 14th, 2011 03:11 PM

NBBS - what a wonderful malaprop - Norm Crosby would be proud

Trip June 14th, 2011 03:51 PM

That's hysterical...know what Publix is called?:rolleyes:

Paul Motter June 14th, 2011 05:22 PM

NO - what is Publix called?

Trip June 14th, 2011 06:58 PM

It's easy to figure out...:oops:

Marc June 14th, 2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1376096)
Seems like I read that somewhere sometime. Is it one of these these?

I have absolutely no idea. I think I was told during the commentary as we were sailing out of Venice once but I don't remember.