Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default How old is everyone around here?

Seems like not many young[er] people around on this site! Understandable- easier to cruise when you're retired, kids are grown, mo money (hopefully . My first cruise is in November, I'm 27 and hubby is 35. Our kids will be 5, 3, and 16 months while we're gone. Some may say they're too young to leave for nearly a week. And I say, when they're this age-that's when you need a cruise the most!! It will be hard to leave them, I know, especially the baby. What are everyone else's situations? If you have traveled with little ones at home, did you feel you were able to keep enough contact with them to feel ok?
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Admiral

I'm in my 40's and I went on a land vacation when my daughter was three. She was with her dad so I did not feel too bad. I then took her on a few trips with me later without him. Personally, I think it's fine if you are leaving them with grandparents and you'll be able to talk to them while you are gone. You and hubby do need a vacation. You'll do better for having a break, so don't guilt yourself out about the cruise.
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Admiral

My DH and I are in our early 50's. We took our first cruise together when our son was about the age of your youngest, this was before shipboard internet so, we would call his grandparents every port, he was just fine- in very capable hands. Use the ships internet to chat with your kids, or find out if you have cell phone coverage that isn't roaming, because those roaming charges can add up really fast
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Admiral

We are in our early 40s, but our kids are young (5 and almost 4).

We made a very big mistake .... we introduced our children to cruising. They love it too! It must be in the genes lol!

When we cruisew without them .... we have to lie and tell them we are going on a business trip!. Seriously when my 3 year old saw us packing for Grandeur last fall, he said, "Mommy, are you sure you are going on a business trip, it looks like you are going on a cruise!".

My hubby and I have very demanding careers forcing us to work many evenings and weekends. So, we do actually really enjoy vacationing with our kids and spending time together with our kids. It works for us.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think everyone's level of comfort about leaving the kids at home is different.

I am 53 and my wife is a couple of years older. If I gave her exact age I'd never cruise, or walk, again.

My daughter and SIL have a very busy veterinary practice and my daughter also SIL are also away a lot at seminars and giving lectures. We take care of the grandkids and they have no problem with it. The kids love it with us and want to stay with us all the time.

I have cruised with just my daughter and I and we had a great time. She left the kids at home with my SIL. On the other hand my SIL and I have cruised together and he was miserable and I fed off that and was miserable too because we both missed the kids.

It all depends on how comfortable you would be without the kids. Knowing that they are with someone who is responsible and will provide them a fun time is reassuring but there will always be some anxiety. It's how much of that anxiety you create and can handle is up to you.

Email is the most economical way to stay in touch while on board. You can send pictures and just keep informed on a daily basis. You can also look into what the International rates are from your cell provider. You can call home from the ship for $2.95 per minute and on Verizon it is about .90/minute to call from Mexico. Just be careful because those minutes mount up quickly.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're in our late 50's (Oh no! We're "old"!) Our son and daughters are grown and on their own, but we have three cats and two dogs. So, since the cruise lines don't allow pets (wouldn't that be a fiasco!), we put our dogs in a kennel and have one of our daughters take care of the cats for us while we're away. Of course, our children would be welcome to come along, but they'd have to pay their own way.
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Don't have to be "retired" to cruise by any means.... I have been cruising for 25+ years w/and w/out the kids in tow and still going strong ! I actually cruised as much when the children were young and even still being young adults and sometimes they pay for mom, and dad now when invited to join them and their families !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Admiral

We didn't start cruising til our kids were 21+ (shame on us). Be aware of the cost of staying in touch and what your comfort level will be. Cell air time is about $2/min. on board. Depending on your pots it might be a little cheaper ashore. Another path is phone cards, but you don't want to spend all your time in port on the phone.

I know both my little sister and I missed vacations when we were young, I don't think either of us were too scarred. It can be important for Mommy and Daddy to get away.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am 57. I took my first cruise in 1983 at the age of 29. I was lucky in that I discovered cruising early in life.

I have literally lost count of the number of cruises I have taken but I have been on every major cruise line except for Seabourn and SeaDream Yacht Club.

I have been on several Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America, Oceania, Celebrity and other lines, also some NCL, river boats, Silversea, Regent, Crystal, Windstar, Royal Clipper...

(what have I forgotten?)
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am pushing 50, and I enjoyed cruising with my three boys, but to be honest, I had no interest bringing them along until they were well out of the toddler stage. Young couples pushing strollers around the deck just seem frazzled and not to be enjoying themselves like I am. That same couple without the munchkin(s) would have a totally different (and much needed)experience. Now that mine are older and out of the nest, my wife and I enjoy couples cruising. Next we are attempting to move to stage 3 for a New Year's Cruise, attempting to get all on the same ship as adults, and adding some 'significant others' into the mix.

Please don't bash me. I love my boys from day one, and we always did tons with them. Just never considered them cruisers until they were able to enjoy the ships programs and such without Mom and Dad right there.

So I guess I am a strong vote in favor of leaving the youngus with the grands and having an escape. But be ready for that day when they are just a bit older and the family experience is great.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am 32, and my husband is 33. We have a 2 year old daughter that we haven't taken cruising yet, and don't really plan to do so very soon. Trust me, your kids aren't too young to leave. This is the time when you do need a cruise, and when they will least care. Don't let the naysayers bother you.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
Please don't bash me. I love my boys from day one, and we always did tons with them. Just never considered them cruisers until they were able to enjoy the ships programs and such without Mom and Dad right there.

So I guess I am a strong vote in favor of leaving the youngus with the grands and having an escape. But be ready for that day when they are just a bit older and the family experience is great.
Anyone who thinks it's child abuse to not bring their children on a cruise with them needs a wake-up call! I truly hope no couple feels guilty getting away by themselves. It's not like we don't take vacations as a family-we do that every year, even though it's not very fun b/c they're so young! My husband has ADD and to be honest, vacations are one of the few times he truly focuses on me or the family for any extended period of time. He just has a really hard time with that. We've had one night getaways at a hotel in the city together, but 6 days BY OURSELVES? I can't fathom that in the least. It's going to feel SO good to 'have' my husband for that long with no distractions. I hope it helps our marriage, despite it being only momentary.
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Familiar Face

I started cruising younger than you and had a son at the time but didn't start bringing him along until he was old enough for ship programs.

Thought I had it all figured out one year bringing the nanny along after my second son was born in '96 him being an infant and I not wanting to be tied to the room all week and that turned into a complete disaster with the nanny being so terribly sea sick and I became the caregiver to everyone. Made the best of it but out of all my cruises, that one was by far the worst one with baby coming down with infantile roseola that week and paying ship doc $150 a pop (I recall at least 2 visits to see him that week) to tell me he has no idea what was wrong with my very sick baby.

I'd never encourage anyone to bring a child under 2 on a cruise.

Any other time I flew my mother in from NC to help the nanny all week and that always gave me peace of mind since my mother is an RN (retired now though). After my third child was born, I recall leaving the baby with Mother and Nanny while we took the 2 older boys on a cruise with us for a week and that was a wonderful cruise. Baby was fine and in good hands and although I missed, her, I really enjoyed the time I was able to devote to the older 2 that week.

My youngest two are now 12 and 14 and we pretty much take them along on every cruise we take these days. My oldest son is now 21 and on his own doing his own thing and doesn't sail with us much anymore.

Your children will be fine. Enjoy that cruise. I agree with you wholeheartedly, although those ages are the most precious and we don't want to miss a moment of it, Mom and Dad could still could use a break sometime too.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyisthelife View Post
.... It's going to feel SO good to 'have' my husband for that long with no distractions. I hope it helps our marriage, despite it being only momentary.
To some people its a major drawback, but I love the isolation a cruise provides. My wife has a lot of constant responsibility on her job, and is a real workaholic. The only vacation I've found where I can break the 24/7 tether to her cell phone is a cruise. Her company even has a major internet firewall, so her work PC is not cruise friendly (YEAH!) We can truly relax, forget the daily grind, and concentrate on each other for a while. It's been very good for us....
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

I was born in the last century.
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:33 AM
First Mate

Default 25

My husband and I are young (both 25), and we have made it a point to take a vacation just the two of us each year of our 5 years together. As long as the kids are with someone they love and our safe with (in our case Grandma) we don't worry. Our kids are now 4 and 2 years and we almost "need" the break to get out of the routine of work and kids. We have cruised together twice and are booked on our third next year. Cruises are great for couples for exactly what a few people said above. You are away from the daily cell, internet, tv, etc. They are romatic and let you enjoy each other. No diapers eaither!! Hope you have a great time!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree. There is something about being kid-free on a cruise that makes it truly relaxing. And, when she is with her grandparents, I know both them and her are getting a treat and making memories.
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Admiral

My first cruise was at age 27. Then start to cruise at 56 after a medical scare with my eyesight.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

My 1st TA (done many since) cruise was when I was 6 yo came into Ellis Island and seeing the Statue of Liberty and NY skyline was awesome. Been seriously cruising since the 70s, 1st on the Home lines Oceanic.

Only time we took the family was a few years ago. Children, Grandchildren & Great Grandchildren. Eventhough it was to the Caribbean, where we have been many, many times it was one of our most memorable cruises.

Old enough were we are the ones who usually get the bottle of champagne for being married the longest, August will be 65.

O F C'er
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Talking Cruising

Our first cruise was in 1972. Our daughter was born in 1973. We took five cruises in the next ten years, and in 1984 when she was 11 we took her cruising for the first time. We were fortunate that she had a wonderful Grandma to stay with and never missed us a minute!

At that time, ship to shore calls cost about $9 a minute, which was a lot more money than it is now! We told her grandmother to call us if the kid broke a leg, but not if she had the sniffles or skinned her knee! Everybody got along fine.

One thing you do have to think about when traveling with kids is the big emergency. What if your kid does break a leg or get seriously ill in a foreign country? It could be really hard to deal with. And even with the great kids programs aboard ship you spend a LOT of time dealing with a younger one.

Also, what about the dining room? Now, by age 11 our child was an experienced diner and was very happy spending an hour and a half in the dining room trying new and interesting foods. But a whole lot of kids are not going to like that.

Clearly it is up to you. We even see people traveling with infants on ships. We chose to make it a real vacation for us as a couple and for our daughter at Grandma's house and we were all very happy with that decision.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
My husband and I are young (both 25), and we have made it a point to take a vacation just the two of us each year of our 5 years together. As long as the kids are with someone they love and our safe with (in our case Grandma) we don't worry. Our kids are now 4 and 2 years and we almost "need" the break to get out of the routine of work and kids. We have cruised together twice and are booked on our third next year. Cruises are great for couples for exactly what a few people said above. You are away from the daily cell, internet, tv, etc. They are romatic and let you enjoy each other. No diapers eaither!! Hope you have a great time!
Funny, in my early years of cruising, I used to think this way also and looked forward to my breaks from toddlerhood but now with one son grown whom I rarely see anymore and my last 2 ages 12 and 14 soon to be 13 and 15 in the next couple months, I take them on every cruise I book these days realizing just how fast time flies and how quickly they are grown and gone. My oldest said he'd come see me the other night and never made it by... He lives just downtown Houston only 30 minutes away but you'd think he lives a million miles away as rarely as I see him (or hear from him) anymore.

So, knowing my last 2 are just a few years shy of leaving the nest, I prefer to take my children with us rather than leave them behind these days. My honey and I feel there is plenty of time to cruise alone after that.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Exclamation kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
Funny, in my early years of cruising, I used to think this way also and looked forward to my breaks from toddlerhood but now with one son grown whom I rarely see anymore and my last 2 ages 12 and 14 soon to be 13 and 15 in the next couple months, I take them on every cruise I book
But I am sure you will agree that cruising with teens is considerably different from cruising with infants and toddlers ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Familiar Face

Of course it is, and in many ways, more stressful...lol....(harder to keep up with them)....and I would never have taken my babies under 2 on a cruise without a nanny, (did that one year and nanny got sick so was not what I had in mind when taking a nanny) but maybe would have cruised a bit less in my earlier years of cruising had I of realized then just how fast time flies. I recall the year we sailed on Celebrity which was the year 2000, we cruised on four 7-day cruises that year without children. That's a whole month out of a year I missed out on with my babies. To me, that's a lot.

Just noting how funny it is that I used to share that way of thinking, and now that I have a grown son who I rarely see anymore, I want to spend every minute I can with my last 2 realizing how fast they grow up. No doubt, I could probably use a break from my teenagers as well sometime, but I'd rather share these cruise memories with them than without them.

I don't encourage anyone to ever cruise with babies and certainly never without a nanny. In my experience of taking a nanny, however, both nanny and baby became so terribly sick, (just my luck the one time I think I have this all figured out to where I can take baby and still have a great cruise) nanny getting horribly seasick and baby coming down with infantile roseola with ship doc not knowing what he was ill with so my anxiety soared through the roof. Turned into a disaster and never cruised with a baby under 2 after that. Still, I think it would have been a whole lot worse had my baby been that ill and I'm a world away on a cruise and couldn't be there to care for him myself.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?

Last edited by A&B; July 1st, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Captain

I am 46 and the wife is 52. We started cruising about 4 years ago, funny, we always thought cruising was for the rich and famous and not in our price range. We were pleasantly surprised to learn this wasn't true and have been cruising ever since.

Happy Sailing
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15