Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default High pressure spa treatments

With a nod to Paul's what's the catch thread...

I have never had the experience of having a massage on a cruise, but I have done a facial once or twice. We all know the cruise lines want to make extra $$ selling products associated with these services, but, I wonder how many people know of the hard sell the associates push on the clients, and don't book one specifically because of this.

Honestly, I don't know what they could sell you as an after sale for a massage, but, during the facials, the almost non stop sales pitch is very annoying. You go to be pamperd,and you have to listen to them pitch you. I don't want one badly enough, to have to preface it by telling the woman, I am not buying anything, thank you very much.

Do you do these services, & how did you handle the high pressure pitches? Has this turned you off from using spa services?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Trip

I used the Spa services on the Az Journey - one of their 'specials' ; it was reasonably priced with no upselling. In fact I asked their associate re one of the products as I recognised the British brand. There was no sale.

Annie
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I got a massage on my recent cruise, and she tried to sell me some stuff to put in my bath water to relax my muscles. When I told her that I wasn't checking any luggage, so therefore couldn't carry that quantity of liquid, she immediately turned off and rushed me out. I didn't even get a shower, was told to exit via the stairs. I left feeling a little confused and wondering, "is that normal?" In the future, I might book a spa appointment if it is a good deal, and just go in knowing what is to come.
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Admiral

When I saw the title "High Pressure Spa Treatments" I had this vision of colonic irrigation & a balloon effect...but I am somewhat warped...
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
When I saw the title "High Pressure Spa Treatments" I had this vision of colonic irrigation & a balloon effect...but I am somewhat warped...
Well JTD, you seem to know a lot about it.......

A
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM
Admiral

My wife has received the high pressure sales pitch and nearly "caved in" .
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Our DD got the hard sell after one of those "wrap" treatments. She was still in college, not a good target but it didn't seem to slow the pitch down.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I've re-done manicures on ships a few times ~ no upsell.

Any time i've done a massage, there is a fair bit of "pressure". I usually start of by saying, "I'm really looking forward this massage so I can relax and enjoy my cruise. I know you are expected to sell product, by i'll be honest upfront and let you know I will not buy any product". After hearing that, no one has over continued with a sales pitch at the end of the massage. Sometimes they will say, "I know you don't want to buy anything, but I will just show you what I used". .... no pressure.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Buying stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I usually start of by saying, "I'm really looking forward this massage so I can relax and enjoy my cruise. I know you are expected to sell product, by i'll be honest upfront and let you know I will not buy any product".
ROFL Queen, you are just like my DW. However, she adds one more sentence: "Your tip depends on how much I relax during this massage and I can't relax if you keep trying to sell me stuff." That cinches it!

However, it is so very true that a lot of people will not book another spa appointment because they are not as brash as you and DW. You would think the Steiner people (almost all ship spas are contracted, not run by the ship) would read these bulletin boards and figure that out. But I guess their business plan is based on the upsells and not on customer satisfaction. Since they basically have a captive market I guess they can do what they like. I have heard a few lines have dumped Steiner and are going with another contractor. Maybe that will send a message.

Everybody, REMEMBER comment cards!! They ARE read by top management, and if enough people report unpleasant spa experiences it WILL get noticed.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
ROFL Queen, you are just like my DW. However, she adds one more sentence: "Your tip depends on how much I relax during this massage and I can't relax if you keep trying to sell me stuff." That cinches it!

However, it is so very true that a lot of people will not book another spa appointment because they are not as brash as you and DW. You would think the Steiner people (almost all ship spas are contracted, not run by the ship) would read these bulletin boards and figure that out. But I guess their business plan is based on the upsells and not on customer satisfaction. Since they basically have a captive market I guess they can do what they like. I have heard a few lines have dumped Steiner and are going with another contractor. Maybe that will send a message.

Everybody, REMEMBER comment cards!! They ARE read by top management, and if enough people report unpleasant spa experiences it WILL get noticed.
Mike

DW/Queen - brash? quietly assertive

I have never been subject to upsell - that maybe because I have an aura of don't try and BS me - so I am told by my cruising friends

Annie
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I usually get my product refills on the ship to save shipping costs. However, yes, they will do their sales pitch and I politely say no and there is no worry. Perhaps it is because I mention I use a variety of other Elemis products and am a regular on the timetospa.com website that they don't push it too hard.

I also find it worthy of mentioning that I use this and that product when I am having a pedicure and they don't even bother me with the pitch. I guess that would be a good tactic to check the site out and check out the products and get to know what they are for and then when you go for the treatment you an talk and hype how you use it, but in reality you don't and all you did is spend an hour on a website checking out the items and what they are good for!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am familiar with the selling tactics when you go to the Spa for a treatment and am very resistant to purchasing products. However, my dear mother-in-law on our cruise on the Eurodam had an appt for a foot/ankle massage. It was advertised at $39. Well, she returned to the cabin and I asked her how the massage went. To my amazement, she reported that her $39 massage wound up at $140 including products pushed by the spa attendant. He told her how she reminded him of his grandmother (!!), yadda, yadda, yadda. Poor Doris, she got ripped off but now she knows! !
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Question "Ripped off"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
Poor Doris, she got ripped off but now she knows! !
Well, now, how did she get "ripped off"? She got sold some stuff by a good well trained sales person, obviously. But I think it could only be termed a "rip off" if the stuff was poor quality or not as represented. I do think the stuff they sell in the spa is pretty good of its kind and not outrageously priced compared to comparable high end stuff ashore. So an impulse purchase is really not a "rip off" anymore than the tourist stores ashore rip anybody off.

Now if you want to talk about the art auctions aboard ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html