Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Captain

Smile 7 day caribbean

My wife and I are thinking about taking a 7 day Caribbean cruise.I was just wondering if anyone has been to any of the following ports and your opions on them.They are Cozumel Mexico,George Town,Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica. The cruise would be on the Royal Caribbeans Mariner of the Sea. they had info about Georgetown and Cozumel and they both sounded like they would be worth checking out, but there was no info about Jamaica.Has anyone beem on the Mariner of the sea? We wanted to book a cruise with Carnival but could not find one that was not full for the time we want to go which is 4/15/12 we looked months around that date and they were all full how far ahead do you have to book?Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have been to Jamaica a few times, but this is a new stop, haven't heard much about. The other stops are the usual for a Western Caribbean itinary, that have some good excursions. If you haven't snorkeled with the sting rays in Grand Cayman, that is the thing to do there. Many options for Cozumel, best bet, look through all the excursions Royal Caribbean offers and see what interests you at each port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is our 'home cruise' out of Galveston, except they are swapping ships within the same class and bringing in the Mariner. Its only a modest drive over to the port for us. We are doing thet exact cruise with the family for New Year's this year. Did the same route on the previous ship there, the Voyager.

I have several posts out here on Falmouth, since our cruise in Feb, of this year was the first docking there. Check those posts / threads out. Won't blab it all again, but glad to answer any questions. We always just do our own thing and walk around in Cozumel, having been there so many times, but there are some great excursions. As was said, Sting ray excursions on GC are pretty cool.

Can't speak on the Mariner crew specifically, but we love that class of ship. I know you were on a Princess ship to Hawaii before, as were we (Golden/Saphire). If you are like us, you'll like this ship much better. We love the promenade, the pool areas, the general layout. The general feel and mood on the ship is pretty festive, and it will be a much younger croud compared to the Hawaii cruise, without being a rowdy booze cruise. There will be a lot of us Texan's on there with ya...

I will post on it after our trip in late Dec, early Jan, so you'll get the straight scoop on it before you go...

Doug
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Captain

I read about swimming with the sting rays sounds like fun. Thanks for all the info we are so excited already. We have never been to Texas that will be fun we will have to leave a couple days early.
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I read about swimming with the sting rays sounds like fun. Thanks for all the info we are so excited already. We have never been to Texas that will be fun we will have to leave a couple days early.
Don't judge Texas by what you see in Houston. Most of us in the rest of the state don't really claim it. The majority of the people who live in Houston are from someplace else and moved there for work. If you have time, get away from Houston and see some other parts of the state. Galveson itself is nice, and further down the coast, the resort area of South Padre Island is also good. Not really the best of times to venture down to the usual touristy Mexican border areas right now though...
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Admiral

I've never been to any of those islands but a woman I dated for 2 years was native to Jamaica and from the way she described the island it sounded breath taking .
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Jamaica is beautiful but poverty is everywhere. Go with a ship excursion there. Grand Cayman and Cozumel, there are plenty of things to do, perhaps too many. You'll have fun.
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Admiral

We have been to Cozumel and Georgetown many times and have allways enjoyed those places. Plenty of activies on either place.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I brought over Doug S's original post about Falmouth, posted in May.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was on the first RCI ship to dock at Falmouth. Unless things have changed a lot I'd recommend against 'ambling around'. I'm a pretty big guy, and I've wandered around many carribean ports o call, but I had no desire to venture too far from the dock side shops with my lovely wife in tow. Do the little $10 historic city tour tram and have the security of the group. I saw very few passengers just ambling off into town, and they were young and naieve. There is a taxi stand within the protected dock area and you can easily book transportation to where-ever you need to go, and even group up there for group runs to beaches in passenger vans...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We wanted to book a cruise with Carnival but could not find one that was not full for the time we want to go which is 4/15/12 we looked months around that date and they were all full how far ahead do you have to book?Thanks for your time.
Dhill, I did a search on Carnival's website and there are a lot of cruise's in April, 2012, including some on the 15th.

Maybe you tried searching before they were listed? Anyway, try your search again or look here: </title> <script src="/CMS/javascript/jquery-1.4.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <link href="/CMS/BookingEngine/cruise-search/css/cruise-search.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/CMS/PageElements/2010/co

There's no way that Carnival's cruise's for April, 2012, are already full !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Dhill, I did a search on Carnival's website and there are a lot of cruise's in April, 2012, including some on the 15th.

Maybe you tried searching before they were listed? Anyway, try your search again or look here: </title> <script src="/CMS/javascript/jquery-1.4.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <link href="/CMS/BookingEngine/cruise-search/css/cruise-search.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/CMS/PageElements/2010/co

There's no way that Carnival's cruise's for April, 2012, are already full !
WEll Ill be darned thats the same web site I was at last night and it kept telling me there was no avlable catagorys left. Theres plenty to chose from now!We can take the same cruise on Carnival for $140 pp cheaper than Royal Caribbean except it sails out of New Orleans.We have never been there either. We think it might be more interesting to sail out of New Orleans than Galvaston Texas maybe leave a day or two early and have a little look around
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I'm glad you found the Carnival cruise's! Galveston is a nice place to visit, too.

Sometime's I think we try to book too early! Any time you see a fully booked ship before final payment, keep watching!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
WEll Ill be darned thats the same web site I was at last night and it kept telling me there was no avlable catagorys left. Theres plenty to chose from now!We can take the same cruise on Carnival for $140 pp cheaper than Royal Caribbean except it sails out of New Orleans.We have never been there either. We think it might be more interesting to sail out of New Orleans than Galvaston Texas maybe leave a day or two early and have a little look around
Pre-cruise from New Orleans is OUTSTANDING. An amazing city, with no shortage of things to see, be entertained and eat