Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Buffet line shuffle

Sailing the Eclipse last fall, and, the Carnival Magic this spring, the buffet areas could not have been more different. I have not sailed Princess in a while, but, I think on some ships they have food stations too,right?

On the Eclipse as you can see below, has separate stations, beautifully presented with easy access all around. The other picture of the Magic, shows the more traditional way of serving, which many ships have.

I have seen people in line, giving others the stink eye, if they forgot to get some butter or something, and, waiting behind someone, picking out the perfect pieces of lettuce, and, a back up begins..You didn't want a salad anyway, but some will wait, and, others walk around the slow pokes.

While the press trip I was on for the Eclipse did not have a full complement of passengers, the area seemed larger,and, the aisles very wide.

Which do you think has a better flow and design?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had the same experience on the Magic, and it was really frustrating. I wish all cruise lines would take the station design and run with it!
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Admiral

The Princess Grand class had the station concept. It didn't seem quite as spacious as that on the Eclipse but then I never saw it without people.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Admiral

We were on a fully laden Eclipse & have say that the food court layout was fantastic, loads of serveries with a massive choice of foods.
The place was always busy, but you only waited in line behind one or two others before you were waited on.

The only thing we really had an issue with, as did most others, were the drinks stations. There were only a couple and altough not overly busy, you had to go to the left to get a cup, then to the right to get hot water, before making your way to the middle to get your tea/coffee etc.

Ah, you are thinking why didn't the queue flow from left (cups past drinks to hot water) to right. 2 reasons. The cold drinks machine was middle left, so everyone was trying to work out who was going where, and the waste bins for tea bags, stirrers, sachets etc. were in the middle.

10 out of 10 for the food layout, minus several million for the drinks ;o)

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I love the idea of the different stations, never much of any lines and if you just want a salad, you don't have to wait to get through food you are not having..

Freedom of the Seas had the stations and I am sure Oasis and Allure do as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Admiral

KJ, I will also say that I hate not having trays. The beautiful dishes on the Eclipse weighed a ton. Trying to manipulate a drink, a plate and a salad plate, without any staff helping someone to the table is difficult.

On the Magic,at the drink station, there were no tea bags, so you got the water, and, then had to go to another place for the tea bag. Sometimes the tea box, was placed above a 2 tier basket of sugar and cream...what were they thinking

Old June 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Admiral

As for the Grand Class, yes they are stand-in line and give out grief to those in front - or dare to even look like they are pushing in, even if they only need cutlery or are just looking

Both sides are open during busy periods which certainly helps, and there are LOTS of drinks stations - have you worked out my bug-bear yet??

I am still suffering from the fact that we used to 'have' to pass though the servery on our way back to our stateroom after a night in Skywalkers (rip) and the food always looked so good, it would have been an insult to the chefs not to have indulged

Alan.
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Familiar Face

I MUCH prefer the station design. As a vegetarian, when I stand in line at the buffet, I sometimes just wait and wait and wait to get far enough down the line before I reach something without meat or seafood. Not only am I wasting my time in line, but I'm also taking a spot in line and making the line look longer than it really is.

The stations really enable people to just pop in and out and grab what they want. Feels much less crowded that way too!
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
I MUCH prefer the station design. As a vegetarian, when I stand in line at the buffet, I sometimes just wait and wait and wait to get far enough down the line before I reach something without meat or seafood. Not only am I wasting my time in line, but I'm also taking a spot in line and making the line look longer than it really is.

The stations really enable people to just pop in and out and grab what they want. Feels much less crowded that way too!
Welcome TravlGrl! I agree with you about the stations. It's so much easier than following a "sheep" line to get your food . You want veggies, you go to the veggie station, you want meat, go to the meat area. Bread, do it again!

It's so much better than standing in a line for food you don't want!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Talking Buffets

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
The Princess Grand class had the station concept. It didn't seem quite as spacious as that on the Eclipse but then I never saw it without people.
Interesting. I find the Princess Grand class buffets to be some of the most crowded and least adequate of any line. They are very small for the number of passengers on the ship. There is some sort of an island in the middle, but basically station is right next to station and people are squeezing around in the very narrow aisles between.

Some of the most beautiful buffets on any ship are on the Radiance class ships of RCI, many stations with great variety, spaced well so that moving from one to another is easy.

(Sorry about the picture quality, old camera)

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Admiral

That was the thing that was so wonderful on th Eclipse, the broad aisles.

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Admiral

The Buffet stations on Eclipse were fantastic as were the contents!!
Why though do people actually make tea AT the station ...put the bag in the hot water & go back to the table!!
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Talking Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
The Buffet stations on Eclipse were fantastic as were the contents!!
Why though do people actually make tea AT the station ...put the bag in the hot water & go back to the table!!
my Brit friend complains that even then the water is not hot enough! She would never consider going back to the table. You know the Brits carry the tea to the pot on the stove, never the pot to the tea!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html