Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default World Cruises

Paul, why did your article only address Carnival Corporation Grand Voyages? I don't know all of the cruise lines which have Grand Voyages oe World Cruises in 2012 but I know that Silversea and Regent do. This is the second time recently that an article that should have mentioned Regent did not.

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Mariner - Bermuda - April 2016

Seven Seas Explorer - Med - October 2016
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Familiar Face

Crystal also!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

How on earth do people afford them? Decent cabin on P&O for two is about 30K + spending & tips!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
How on earth do people afford them? Decent cabin on P&O for two is about 30K + spending & tips!!
I've wondered the same thing, along with the TIME. Only thing I can figure is that it's mostly retired people, with no grandkiddies and kids, and nearing their end of life with lots of cash and time on their hands??? Am I wrong?
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
I've wondered the same thing, along with the TIME. Only thing I can figure is that it's mostly retired people, with no grandkiddies and kids, and nearing their end of life with lots of cash and time on their hands??? Am I wrong?
Mostly retired but not all. Some families take their kids and home school them while sailing around the world.

As for money, how much do you normally spend in four months? If you deduct out your normal expenses it cuts down on the cost a bit. Also, many save up for years to take a world cruise. We are planning to take a world cruise as soon as I retire; been saving for years.

Horace

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Familiar Face

I saw this article the other day, and it reminded me of this thread. This couple was able to save $80K for their travel dreams. Though not all of their tactics are practical for everyone, it's an inspiring article and makes one (me!) think!

Davie couple saves $80,000 to travel the world through simple savings techniques - Sun Sentinel
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Admiral

I suppose it comes down to priorities, but I would have to have one heck of a lot of spare cash to be able to spend that amount on a holiday & I honestly don't know if I spent 20+ years saving all I could afford that I would spend it on a holiday.
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Holland America also has a Grand Voyage. Which we will be on in Jan.
Yes we are retired (not old people) and have worked hard and always spent our money wisely. We live within our means.
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALGAL View Post
Holland America also has a Grand Voyage. Which we will be on in Jan.
Yes we are retired (not old people) and have worked hard and always spent our money wisely. We live within our means.
Blimey if your means include a world cruise/Grand Voyage thjey must me some means!! Good luck to you!
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Admiral

JtD - seems are papers have an article at least once a year about a person of seemingly meager means that makes a major donation to charity or leaves a large estate behind. A lot of it depends on how you choose the live your life along the way. Of course unexpected circumstances can always lead us down a different path.

BTW: I am not one of those people - but they are out there

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, Royal 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
JtD - seems are papers have an article at least once a year about a person of seemingly meager means that makes a major donation to charity or leaves a large estate behind. A lot of it depends on how you choose the live your life along the way. Of course unexpected circumstances can always lead us down a different path.

Green Rd your are 100%.

Finance is not the reason I will not take a world cruise; it would drive me nuts to be on the same ship for 4 months.

Green Rd - as you say it is all about choices.

BTW - I have promised my family I will leave a very modest house but money in the bank etc - no way.

A local bachelor doctor died recently; after leaving modest bequests he left 1Million to his university. He was a general practitioner who only ever worked in our NHS. No-one knew he was that wealthy - he lived very modestly; his only known vice was a round of golf followed by a visit to the 19th.

Annie
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Default World cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I suppose it comes down to priorities, but I would have to have one heck of a lot of spare cash to be able to spend that amount on a holiday & I honestly don't know if I spent 20+ years saving all I could afford that I would spend it on a holiday.
I should be able to afford one by the year 2525 .
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post

We definitely live below our means. We drive very inexpensive cars and keep them for years; no Lexus or even Buick for us. We clip coupons and comparison price for everything. I take my lunch to work; Arlene mows the lawn and cleans the house; no cleaning lady or lawn service for us. We bought a house about half the price they realtor and mortgage company said we could afford; we have a 15 year mortgage so we pay off almost $1200 per month. We have no kids; i.e., no one to take care of us in our old age.

We have only two big expenses; traveling and spending quality time with our friends and family. What we budget for travel is equivalent to what we budget for mortgage, utilities, and other household expenses combined. That is the choice that we have made.

Horace