Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Default Cruises to celebrate

Do you take cruises to celebrate a birthday or anniversary ?

I did a land cruise for my 50th. birthday but no sea cruises although on my cruise this month I will be celebrating my birthday.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

For my wife and my twenty fifth anniversary we did a fourteen day Baltic Sea cruise. I can't say this was "specifically" for our anniversary, since it was one month before our anniversary, and the main factor was that I saw a deal on a suite that I just couldn't say no to.

On our last cruise on the Carnival Liberty we said it was our combined birthday and anniversary present. The week before we left was my birthday and we celebrated our anniversary and my wife's birthday on board.

We are doing a Southeast Asia cruise next year to celebrate my wife's retirement.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Admiral

In 2009 we were 60 & had been married 40 years, so we though we would just do what we wanted that year, we did three cruises & a couple of UK based land trips. This year we are doing one short cruise for wifes sisters 50th, just two nights over to Belgium. These short trips are also tagged as "party cruises", different atmosphere alltogether, they can stop at Le Harve for Paris or Zeebrugge for Brugges or the military cemeteriesof WW2
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Admiral

The first cruise hubby and I took was to celebrate our 30th anniversary, the next was to celebrate my birthday and have taken onter cruises to celebrate both my birthday and our anniversary. Since our anniversary is in Jan and myy birthday in Oct it is usually a very good time for vacations.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Admiral

For my 40th it was Italy and my 50th it was New York.

My 60th is next year and I very nearly booked a Silverseas cruise - then discovered their smoking policy - and that idea was sunk.

I was considering Hawaii even POA - checked their smoking policy and that idea was sunk.

I even considered Oz/NZ but Mother Nature intervened - I have survived so many close calls - I am running out of my 9 lives - so I am giving Mother Nature time to calm down.

So I will do something special - just have to find a cruise ship whose smoking policy is OK for me and an itinerary that I like - I have to say I am really struggling.

So it looks as if may be Tanzania or Cuba.

Annie
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Our 45th.will be in 2012 and we hope to do one to celebrate.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Admiral

We usually take a cruise to celebrate our anniversary.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Admiral

We've never celebrated an anniversary with a vacation .
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

We don't book a cruise just to celebrate, but since we usually sail in the spring we often celebrate my birthday (March), our anniversary (also March), or DH's birthday (May).

We've had balloons and cake !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Admiral

We decided to celebrate our 10th anniversary on a "luxury" cruise; we were instantly hooked. Since then, we have celebrated one more anniversary and my wife's birthday on cruises; mostly coincidental. We are now looking for a trip for our 20th anniversary December 2012.

Mike, what itinerary for Southeast Asia? Are you going to make it to Angkor Wat, too?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

Our first cruise was to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. We celebrated my husband's 40th on a "booze" cruise, and we'll be celebrating our 15th anniverary in a few months on a cruise. My 40th was spent in Germany for 18 days, a MUCH different way to celebrate than on a cruise, but fantastic nevertheless!
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Admiral

We time our trips around B-days and Anniversarys. This year we were on our Panama Canal Cruise for my B-day (his is 10 days before mine). Our wedding anniversary is in September. This September we'll be in Hawaii for it and September 2012 we'll be on a land trip in France and Italy.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
We time our trips around B-days and Anniversarys. This year we were on our Panama Canal Cruise for my B-day (his is 10 days before mine). Our wedding anniversary is in September. This September we'll be in Hawaii for it and September 2012 we'll be on a land trip in France and Italy.
I thought you were cruising?

Funny though I am in the middle of planning a France/Italy trip starting in Nice going east as far as Trieste and hopefully will end up in Venice at the time of one of their festivals. Snag is a family wedding - folks are so inconsiderate .

Annie
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I thought you were cruising?

Funny though I am in the middle of planning a France/Italy trip starting in Nice going east as far as Trieste and hopefully will end up in Venice at the time of one of their festivals. Snag is a family wedding - folks are so inconsiderate .

Annie
Keep up women Sorry, I thought I updated you. I think with so many repeat ports on that cruise, we're going to cancel. Instead... we'll do 5 or 6 nights in Positano, then fly to Geneva and stay a few days in Annecy where we'll also be picking up the car. We'll then take about two weeks to make our way from the Alps to Bordeaux and fly home from Bordeaux. Probably 3 nights in St. Paul de Vence a visit to Carcassone, 4 or 5 in the Dordogne and then into Bordeaux.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

For the past 2 years, I have been in another country on my birthday, due to being on a cruise. My b-day is early May, which really works for us for Med cruises. Last year I was in Tunisia, and this year I was in Livorno. Because we had visited Florence only a few days before, we stayed on the boat and I got a massage and just relaxed all day. It was glorious!
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnnie View Post
My b-day is early May,
Me too..the 5th

Hawaii By land x 2
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Keep up women Sorry, I thought I updated you. I think with so many repeat ports on that cruise, we're going to cancel. Instead... we'll do 5 or 6 nights in Positano, then fly to Geneva and stay a few days in Annecy where we'll also be picking up the car. We'll then take about two weeks to make our way from the Alps to Bordeaux and fly home from Bordeaux. Probably 3 nights in St. Paul de Vence a visit to Carcassone, 4 or 5 in the Dordogne and then into Bordeaux.
I was off the boards for a few weeks and may have missed your update.

May I ask what happened to Cinque Terre? Funny, I hope to visit Carcassone one day.

Thanks

Annie
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I was off the boards for a few weeks and may have missed your update.

May I ask what happened to Cinque Terre? Funny, I hope to visit Carcassone one day.

Thanks

Annie
To hard to get it to fit into the itinerary. We have to pick the car up in France because of the drop charges and flights out of Naples were pretty limited. Easyjet flies to Milan but then you have the car issue. They fly to Geneva and there's a car rental on the French side which would be easy. We could drive from Annecy down to CT for a few days and then into France which is still a possibility.

Hawaii By land x 2