Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Quit Smoking at Sea - is this SERIOUS?

OK - I just got this email and at first I thought it would be a great topic for an article. You take a cruise and gets TONS of needed support to help you quit smoking.

Quit Smoking at Sea : travelguytravel.com

Looking to get away and quit a nasty habit on the same trip? TravelGuy Travel has put together this unique cruise which will aid you in your fight to quit smoking once and for all!

Spend 7 nights on the Norwegian Pearl and experience relaxing hypnotherapy sessions as you cruise the beautiful Western Caribbean.

Prices below are based on double-occupancy per person and include one group hypnotherapy session with one follow-up group session during the cruise.

SO - all you get is one GROUP hypnotherapy session with just one follow-up in a one week cruise.

I almost want to write "SCAM!!!" - first of all, it has never been proven hypnotherapy works - especially group-based. second, only TWO sessions? You have people there for a week, what else are you providing them?

Quitting smoking is not that hard for me (I've done it several times - I know that sounds like a joke, but in fact I have completely quit for years at a time three times in my life, and I do not smoke now).

But for a lot of people - almost hourly support would be needed. You have to GIVE UP that cancer stick, and especially during the fir 48 hours you will have constant cravings.

No - even daily hypnotherapy sessions would not be enough. You need almost constant support - and lots of chocolate snacks, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quit smoking on the cruise - but by the way there will be many attractive venues that allow smoking. Don't worry you won't have any temptations - you will have had a hydrotheraphy session.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't buy into hypnotherapy until my extreme chain smoking MIL tried it. She'd tried to quit 1000s of times before and usually held out for about 15 minutes (zero will power). I don't know any details about how many hypno sessions and if it was group or 1 on 1, but she put the smokes down and never picked em up again. I do know it was a short term process. I woulda bet the farm she was gonna smoke until her last day. I'm still not totally convinced, but it did work for at least one person...
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I’m the consultant organizing the cruise, together with hypnotherapist Laura Kohn. Wow, I certainly didn’t expect you to slam this. All intentions are good here. Hypnotherapy is one of the easiest methods used to stop smoking. As a licensed medical hypnotherapist, Laura helps people develop the skills and essentially retrain their way of thinking about negative behaviors. The goal of the therapy sessions is to arm people with the tools needed to stop. This is not a scam. The cost of these two sessions is only $50 (included in the cruise fare), less than a person would spend on land to participate.

If I can be of further assistance, or you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly. I’m available to chat.
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I quite smoking in March 50 a day habit

I purchased a nicorette inhaler for the flight from London Gatwick to Barbados. I used in on the plane and had no withdrawal problems on arrival got straight on the transfer bus to the ship, Azura found our cabin and out luggage arrived almost straight away so helped unpack then we went and booked the spar and specialty restaurants.
Then I remembered I need a cig
Next day Saturday I smoked normally and the same on the Sunday then around 21.45 I thought I would go out on deck for a smoke, I picked up and opened my pack and realized that I had run out, I just could not be bothered to go down two decks and buy a sleeve of 200 for 30.00 less than half the UK price
Just stuck the inhaler in my mouth a couple of draws and went to bed to watch the TV not had a cigarette since
I had no intention of giving up, smoked for 47 years since I was 11 behind the bike sheds
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

So this agency has group space on the sailing and have enlisted the services of a hypnotherapist and using his/her services for a stop smoking therapy session(s)....

Unique way to promote and solicit the TRAVEL AGENCY !!!

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I tried hypnopism once (in a private session). Left feeling great; like having sex, only without the cigarette afterwards

Lasted about 5 hrs. (which is a pretty good glow
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry, TravelGuyTravel...

BUt I do not think two group sessions will be nough to help anyone quit smoking on a cruise. That is ALL you mention in your web site. I would expect two meetings a day tro consult with people about cravings and access to trhe hypnotherapist for extra private session if needed.

Please let me know how many paople take your cruise and how many go the entire last two days without smoking. Seriously - no fudging.

Because it seems to me a cruise would be a very hard place to quit, especially considering the liquor and the relaxation factor. I have quit before - and it always meant not having access to any cigarettes and not doing the things that trigger cravings (like drinking, eating spicy food, playing games, chatting in a group, etc.)
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
OK - I just got this email and at first I thought it would be a great topic for an article. You take a cruise and gets TONS of needed support to help you quit smoking.

Quit Smoking at Sea : travelguytravel.com

Looking to get away and quit a nasty habit on the same trip? TravelGuy Travel has put together this unique cruise which will aid you in your fight to quit smoking once and for all!

Spend 7 nights on the Norwegian Pearl and experience relaxing hypnotherapy sessions as you cruise the beautiful Western Caribbean.

Prices below are based on double-occupancy per person and include one group hypnotherapy session with one follow-up group session during the cruise.

SO - all you get is one GROUP hypnotherapy session with just one follow-up in a one week cruise.

I almost want to write "SCAM!!!" - first of all, it has never been proven hypnotherapy works - especially group-based. second, only TWO sessions? You have people there for a week, what else are you providing them?

Quitting smoking is not that hard for me (I've done it several times - I know that sounds like a joke, but in fact I have completely quit for years at a time three times in my life, and I do not smoke now).

But for a lot of people - almost hourly support would be needed. You have to GIVE UP that cancer stick, and especially during the fir 48 hours you will have constant cravings.

No - even daily hypnotherapy sessions would not be enough. You need almost constant support - and lots of chocolate snacks, etc.
Paul, many years ago, my dear Mother's best friend went to a "session" here. From what I understand it was huge! Filled up an arena and spilled over :eek:! Her friend said that it worked for her and none of us ever saw her smoke again. I really don't think I could do the same.

We used Chantix (RX) and it worked well for us.

We're just happy to not be trying to find a place to smoke on a cruise. I think whatever work's for a person who is trying to quit, is good.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Quitting on a cruise

Quote:
Because it seems to me a cruise would be a very hard place to quit, especially considering the liquor and the relaxation factor. I have quit before - and it always meant not having access to any cigarettes and not doing the things that trigger cravings (like drinking, eating spicy food, playing games, chatting in a group, etc.)
Actually ONE of the many times my wife and I quit smoking was when we were on a cruise. The complete change of atmosphere, and the lack of our normal triggers, was a great big help. Having things to do and places to go was also a big help. Things like sitting in a chair watching TV was a bigger trigger for us then sitting in bar having a drink with friends. Getting through the plane flight to the ship was harder than the cruise. It worked very well and we actually stayed stopped for a year after that.

When we finally did quit for good, over 15 years ago, it was not with hypnotherapy, group sessions or anything else except the gum. Quitting is all in the head. If a hypnotist or a group help convince you to quit, then good. If you don't have it in your head, nobody is going to hypnotize you or talk you into believing you do!

IMAO taking a cruise which includes stop smoking sessions is probably as good, or as poor, an idea as taking a cruise which includes scrapbooking or jazz sessions.

Looks to me as if they guy is missing a revenue source by not arranging with the spa for acupuncture sessions, too. Probably do as much good as hypnosis.

And -- you all do know what the THREE best things in life are???

A drink before ...

and a cigarette after ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Quitting on a cruise

Quote:
Actually ONE of the many times my wife and I quit smoking was when we were on a cruise. The complete change of atmosphere, and the lack of our normal triggers, was a great big help. Having things to do and places to go was also a big help. Things like sitting in a chair watching TV was a bigger trigger for us then sitting in bar having a drink with friends. Getting through the plane flight to the ship was harder than the cruise. It worked very well and we actually stayed stopped for a year after that.

When we finally did quit for good, over 15 years ago, it was not with hypnotherapy, group sessions or anything else except the gum. Quitting is all in the head. If a hypnotist or a group help convince you to quit, then good. If you don't have it in your head, nobody is going to hypnotize you or talk you into believing you do!

IMAO taking a cruise which includes stop smoking sessions is probably as good, or as poor, an idea as taking a cruise which includes scrapbooking or jazz sessions.

Looks to me as if the guy is missing a revenue source by not arranging with the spa for acupuncture sessions, too. Probably do as much good as hypnosis.

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I xuppose I shouldn't judge. I have never believe hypnotherpy is real. I don't think I am hypnotizable.

And I also know that if you want to stop smoking there is no mgic cure - just plain will power. I know some drugs take away you desire somewhat (chantrix), but the gum is just a nicotine replacement. You are a little better off, but still a slave to the cost and the need to have it.
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Captain

Smile

There you go get a bunch of people who are trying to quit smoking and put them in a confined space for a week!Boy talk about a tense atomsphere.And while your at it lets start a cruise for drug addictes we can put them on a ship for a week and see what happens there.
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
I xuppose I shouldn't judge. I have never believe hypnotherpy is real. I don't think I am hypnotizable.

And I also know that if you want to stop smoking there is no mgic cure - just plain will power. I know some drugs take away you desire somewhat (chantrix), but the gum is just a nicotine replacement. You are a little better off, but still a slave to the cost and the need to have it.
Paul, if you think you should not judgje, then why start this thread in the first place. Have you ever tried hypnotherapy, or are you afraid to try?

Millions of people on this globe try to quit smoking either with acupuncture, hypnotherapy, magnets, name it. It will work for one, it wont for the other. But if you dont try, you dont know. Same goes for seeing shrinks

Quiting on a cruise sounds great to me, like others said, its a relaxing environment and those 7 days can be just enough to have had the worst withdrawals, knowing your group is going through the same.

I gave it up 10 years ago, cause I had to healthwise, and it took me 1 week to get through the worse, and after 3 months being on a cruise, watching my husband roll his tobacco after dinner, I realised I had no craving for it anymore.

Good luck for the ones who signed up on that cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Familiar Face

I'm not a smoker, but hypnotherapy worked for severe stress I was experiencing years ago, and it taught me how to re-condition my brain and how to "de-stress". I had two sessions, and that was about 14 years ago, yet, to this day, I use those techniques in meditation to "bring myself down" and mellow out.

Don't knock it until you try it.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I said I suppose I shouldn't judge about hypnotherapy - but even if it does work I just don't think two sessions on a 7-day cruise as the entire "quitting smoking" program is enough.

Cruise ships have cigarettes for sale and smoking areas. In my opinion it is not a good evironment to quit smoking unless you just want to stay in your cabin the whole time.

For me to quit smoking I had to be at home with no cigarettes in the house. If they were there or close by I might have bought one.

On a cruise ship, if I were doing a "quit smoking" program I would have daily meetings (twice daily the first three days) - where we would talk about lung cancer and stuff like that. We would set up ground rules - such as "no, you can't even have one puff."

Then I would have a buddy system where two people watch each other the whole time.

I would pass out candies to every one of my guests - chocolate drops, etc.

Finally, I would have a hotline phone number for a counselor onboard who anyone could call at anytime if they were having cravings.

Bottom line - I just don't like to see "theme" cruises that are not thought out and thorough. Granted, it isn't expensive, but I just tend to doubt its effectiveness as it is planned.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - I am not afraid to try hypnosis, but I really doubt it would work on me. I have seen people at shows that were supposedly hypnotized and it seems absurd to me to say the least.

I can't believe a person's mind can be taken over so easily just because a person says "when I count to three you will be in a deep sleep" (or whatever they incanted).

I'm sorry - but those things just seem like a joke to me - I don't get it.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

I've been to several of those "count to 3 and..." as an observer (I worked grad parties for years and years in the past) and those are really more for entertainment purposes. Those are typically hypnotists, not hynotherapists who are usually doctors or at least licensed therapists.

Wouldn't it be great though if someone could count to 3, snap their fingers and ALL of our ills would be gone? Life would be awfully boring though.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Talking Smokers

Quote:
Bottom line - I just don't like to see "theme" cruises that are not thought out and thorough. Granted, it isn't expensive, but I just tend to doubt its effectiveness as it is planned.
Lots and lots of very expensive doctor supervised stop smoking clinics ashore have very low effectiveness ratings. Stopping smoking is easy. I did it lots of times!

The gum worked for me. Is it really medically effective or did I just hypnotize myself into believing it was?

I am like you. I don't think hypnosis would work for me. But if it floats other people's boats, what the heck!

Lots of foolish people find ways to waste their money, and there is always somebody to take advantage of it. "Ain't we got all the fools in town on our side, and ain't that a big enough majority anyplace?" I suspect that cruisers who go to St. Thomas to buy diamonds are getting ripped off a whole lot more than these smokers are.

The only thing is -- what about all the non-smokers on the ship who are going to find every hidden corner occupied by a "quitter" sneaking a smoke?

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
So this agency has group space on the sailing and have enlisted the services of a hypnotherapist and using his/her services for a stop smoking therapy session(s)....

Unique way to promote and solicit the TRAVEL AGENCY !!!
That was my first thought too.

Nice reply to Paul.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
That was my first thought too.

Nice reply to Paul.
Agree,, $50 sounds like a miracle inexpensive method to quit smoking so it might appeal to folks who were wanting to cruise anyhow and just needed an excuse. Perhaps their health insurance covers expense to quit smoking.

I tend to agree with Paul in it takes will power to quit then remind yourself each day not to just have one. I know their are exceptions which is why substitutes sell well.

For me it began as feeling stupid in begging my father in law years ago to drive us on a Sunday to the local rum shop where the tourists were to get some cigs as we lived in the country and had not rented a car that year.
A few months later it was my daughters worrying about Dad dying based on a lung information session in the schools. Showing a pure lung vs. a black tar lung and how many years it took to clear itself certainly woke me up. Course noone told me about the weight gain but better lungs and exercise help one.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

1) Nobody can be hypnotized who does not want to .

2) To stop smoking you need will power .I have not had a cigarette since 1986 and I was a smoker for 24 years .
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
1) Nobody can be hypnotized who does not want to .

2) To stop smoking you need will power .I have not had a cigarette since 1986 and I was a smoker for 24 years .
That is KEY! Many here who are nay-sayers don't want to be hypnotized. To each their own.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Talking Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
That is KEY! Many here who are nay-sayers don't want to be hypnotized. To each their own.
Any honest hypnotist will tell you that hypnotism is no wonderful secret mind control, it is simply the well known power of suggestion in the hands of an expert. We are all well aware that some people are more susceptible to suggestion than others, and some are more resistant to suggestion than others.

Have you ever watched one of those shows where a hypnotist brings a whole group of people up on stage to hypnotize? You might (and might not) have noticed that during the preliminaries, he will quietly pull a few people from the group and send them back to their seats, because his first few words have allowed him to determine they are not good subjects for hypnotism, i.e. they are not very suggestible.

I'm with Paul ... I don't think I would be a good subject. I am one of those salmon who tends to swim the opposite way from the other salmon ...

Just in case anybody hasn't noticed it from my posts ...

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Any honest hypnotist will tell you that hypnotism is no wonderful secret mind control, it is simply the well known power of suggestion in the hands of an expert. We are all well aware that some people are more susceptible to suggestion than others, and some are more resistant to suggestion than others.

Have you ever watched one of those shows where a hypnotist brings a whole group of people up on stage to hypnotize? You might (and might not) have noticed that during the preliminaries, he will quietly pull a few people from the group and send them back to their seats, because his first few words have allowed him to determine they are not good subjects for hypnotism, i.e. they are not very suggestible.I'm with Paul ... I don't think I would be a good subject. I am one of those salmon who tends to swim the opposite way from the other salmon ...

Just in case anybody hasn't noticed it from my posts ...
Yes, I was in a position for 10+ years where I hired hypnotists for entertainment (not for medical reasons at all!), and many, many, many subjects were asked to sit back down. I've been hypnotized, and I was a willing and able soul, but it wasn't for entertainment.

Now, if I were in a situation of being on stage for entertainment purposes...though I'm a ham, I think I may fall into the group of people not willing or able. When it comes down to it, I don't want to embarrass myself in a way that I'll regret later...but that's what the entertainment is all about. We just need to make sure we're not confusing the two -- hypnotizing for entertainment and hypnotizing for medical purposes.

I'm a different salmon too. If you swim right, I'll swim left JUST BECAUSE you went the other way! Sort of like a kid whose mom says, "Don't stick your finger in the light switch." To me that means, "As soon as she's not looking, I'm sticking my finger in the light switch!"
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:26 AM
david30101

If people want to quit smoking on a cruise, they need to bring back non smoking ships like the Paradise. And for a bonus.. Make it a cruise to nowhere, so nobody can get off for 7 days at any ports so they can smoke. . Im a non smoker, and I would book that trip just to enjoy a smoke free ship. That would be worth it.
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would not want to be on a ship, filled with people trying to quit smoking.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Default Hypnotists

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
Yes, I was in a position for 10+ years where I hired hypnotists for entertainment (not for medical reasons at all!), and many, many, many subjects were asked to sit back down. I've been hypnotized, and I was a willing and able soul, but it wasn't for entertainment.

Now, if I were in a situation of being on stage for entertainment purposes...though I'm a ham, I think I may fall into the group of people not willing or able. When it comes down to it, I don't want to embarrass myself in a way that I'll regret later...but that's what the entertainment is all about. We just need to make sure we're not confusing the two -- hypnotizing for entertainment and hypnotizing for medical purposes.

I'm a different salmon too. If you swim right, I'll swim left JUST BECAUSE you went the other way! Sort of like a kid whose mom says, "Don't stick your finger in the light switch." To me that means, "As soon as she's not looking, I'm sticking my finger in the light switch!"
As I have posted numerous times I spent many years as a Health Insurance Fraud's Investigator .
I believe it was in 1987 that a supposed Hypnotist came up with an idea of using hypnosis to cure every kind of medical problem from asthma to sarcoma . I went to him "undercover" and he was not able to hypnotize me .I was not trying to "fight" it .I was very relaxed .I've had other people attempt to hypnotize me without success .
IMHO ,the majority of hypnotists are charlatans .