Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Question What happens if you miss the ship

Perhaps this would be a good blog post. We know that if you miss the ship it is up to you to get to the next port, or the next port where you can catch up with the ship. It seems there are a few different scenarios:

First, you miss the ship at embarkation - you have all your stuff and have to figure out where you can intercept the ship

Next, you don't get back to the ship in time while in port (too much tequila, maybe.) You are now stuck in port with whatever you took with you off the shipI think I read somewhere the crew has to go into your cabin and rummage for your passport.

Finally a twist on the in-transit miss is missing the ship on the last port of call. I assume you have to get to the cruise terminal and retrieve your stuff. The crew will have to pack up all your stuff - it might be adding insult to injury, but they ought to bill you for that service. It seems it might be a very good chance you would not be able to get to the disembarkation port until long after the embarkation process is complete and perhaps the customs agents have gone home.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Missing the ship would be a sad experience.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Being very punctual, I would be hyperventilating and forget to breathe!!! I think when this situation occurs, I have been told, the harbormaster gets in contact with the ship, and, tries to figure out the logistics

I think it was on the Oasis tv travel show,where they showed a couple who had to fly to another island, to get back on the ship. They had $40,000 worth of jewelry in their cabin!! I am sure that's another story altogeher!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There is no easy answer for this - every situation will be different.

The passport question is a good point since few people go ashore with their passports (and we don't advise doing so - no one plans to miss the ship). So, it can be tricky traveling in the Caribbean without a passport, and even worse if you have to fly back to the U.S. since passports are required for flyers to enter.

Now, there are such things as American Embassies who handle problems like these. They can get you a temporary replacement passport. But it takes time and that = money.

There are also restrictions on trying to join a ship in a different U.S. than the one from which it originally sailed. Something about the Jones Act (although the logic of that escapes me right now).

In any case - it is never a pretty picture, but you won't be forced to retire in Anguilla just because you miss the ship - you will get home. It will just cost you more than you thought.

And I'll bet travel insurance doesn't cover that,either.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Talking Missing the ship

It has happened to us twice in 44 cruises, plus one close call ... not too bad, I guess. Both times were at embarkation.

Since I like to chat, settle back for all the details ...

First time. We booked a pre-cruise trip for 5 days in Iceland, and planned to fly to Heathrow and on to Southampton on embarkation day, knowing full well we were taking a chance. Two hours out from Iceland, the plane developed engine trouble and turned back! We called Princess from Iceland and were given contact information for their Heathrow representative when we finally arrived. Several hours later we arrived in Heathrow to find our ship had just sailed from Southampton! The Princess rep was helpful to the minimal extent of finding a black London taxi for us, but the taxi driver was a lifesaver. He drove us to Paddington station (yes, the bear place!) and double parked outside to take us in and show us the proper queue to buy a ticket to Falmouth, the ship's next stop. We had dinner and caught the midnight train and arrived exactly on time at 8:01 the next morning. We found a taxi to the port, and a Purser was waiting at the bottom of the gangway with a clipboard listing about a dozen people who had missed the ship! Our trip insurance paid the train fare and expenses, and Princess gave us credit for one day of cruising. The point is that we took a chance and lost -- BUT we took the chance knowing the next port was close and there was good infrastructure to get us there.

Second time: We were cruising from Santiago, and allowed lots of time by flying in the day before to be sure to make the ship. We flew to Dallas, on independent air not cruise/air. There we, along with about 100 other people bound for the cruise, were informed that our flight was delayed -- by 12 hours!! We gathered in the lobby and milled around for about an hour until we boarded buses and were taken (at airline expense) to a very nice resort hotel, given meal vouchers, and told where to get the bus back next morning. We flew to Santiago and arrived some time after the ship had sailed. Dubbing ourselves "The Lost Tribe of Princess" we began our routine -- wait around a while until somebody gave us some sort of information -- wait a while more for a bus. They put us up in Santiago the first night, meals provided, then next morning flew us down the coast to Puerto Montt. Another night in a hotel, meals provided, and next morning a Princess bus arrived to take us to the pier where a Purser's tent was set up to process all 100 of us aboard. It was all reasonably well handled, except for the inevitable delay and confusion, and worked out well in the end. All our expenses were covered (by the airline or by Princess? I don't know) and we had an adventure!

The third time involved heading for Fort Lauderdale to meet some friends and board the ship. Again we planned to arrive the night before. As our plane was about to land in Dallas (HMMM) it pulled up and the pilot announced 50 mph crosswinds so we were diverting to Austin. You can't get anyplace from Austin! Eventually we wound up back at Dallas as they were breaking out cots for the hundreds of passengers who had been diverted. My DW, being a TA, eventually pushed the gate agent away from her computer and started searching herself. Ultimately she got us on a midnight flight to Orlando. We arrived in Orlando about 4 AM and rented a car to drive to Fort Lauderdale. Getting there, we met the rest of our party at the motel. The small problem, however, was that our luggage was most likely still in Austin! I took our group of friends and we boarded the ship, while DW Renée kept the rental car to go out to the airport and search for our luggage. Several flights arrived from Dallas, but NOT our luggage. On the way to the airport, she had passed a Target store, so half an hour before sailaway she boarded the ship with four large shopping bags as our luggage! HAL was extremely good, offering us free laundry and even free formal wear rental. DWs shopping had been great and we managed very well. We had a day at sea, then a day at Half Moon Cay, so it was on the third day in Aruba that we were finally united with our luggage. HAL took care of everything and we just went off on a shore excursion and found the bags in our cabin when we came back! Our travel insurance paid for the extra clothes we had to buy.

So -- moral of the story -- when you travel, stuff happens. Try to plan ahead, but if it all falls apart then just go with the flow.

Now, I have to day that I do NOT recommend staggering out of Senor Frog's just as you see your ship start to move!! That may be a different story

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Passenger Service Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

There are also restrictions on trying to join a ship in a different U.S. than the one from which it originally sailed. Something about the Jones Act (although the logic of that escapes me right now).
Paul, Paul, for you of all people to confuse the Jones Act and the Passenger Service Act?

Indeed, especially on trips to Alaska, the Passenger Service Act may apply. It prohibits any non-American flag ship from carrying passengers from one American port to another without a foreign port in between.

This is why many Alaska cruises sail from Vancouver, and those that sail from Seattle usually call at Victoria. But if you miss the ship in Vancouver, you could not join it at the next Alaskan port as that would be an American port.

This very old act was designed to protect American shipping in the days of Matson and other great American flag cruise lines. It seems to serve no useful purpose today.

BUT -- it is said the cruise lines are not willing to push for change, as they are afraid they would then become subject to the ADA, OSHA, American minimum wages and a whole lot of other regulations they do NOT want to comply with.

'Tiz a puzzlement ...

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Familiar Face

If I ever miss the ship *knock on wood* I want to be traveling with Mike! Holy cow. Sounds like you actually had some adventurous fun in the meantime.
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
It has happened to us twice in 44 cruises, plus one close call ... not too bad, I guess. Both times were at embarkation.

Since I like to chat, settle back for all the details ...

<*SNIP*>

Our travel insurance paid for the extra clothes we had to buy.

So -- moral of the story -- when you travel, stuff happens. Try to plan ahead, but if it all falls apart then just go with the flow.

Now, I have to day that I do NOT recommend staggering out of Senor Frog's just as you see your ship start to move!! That may be a different story
I see as one of the big morals of this long but entertaining story ... INSURANCE. Now I am lucky in that I get to drive to my ports here in FL, and AAA Premier will handle me if something happens on the way. Granted, I do leave the house the day of sailing ... but early early early enough that if something happened along the way, there is plenty of time to get things sorted. But yeah, a nice combination of AAA and travel insurance goes a long way.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Talking Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
If I ever miss the ship *knock on wood* I want to be traveling with Mike! Holy cow. Sounds like you actually had some adventurous fun in the meantime.
. Well actually, it is more fun telling about it afterwards than it was while it was happening!!

But really, you are right. When stuff goes wrong, your attitude is what can make a difference. We travel for new experiences, right?

Old July 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Thumbs up Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
I see as one of the big morals of this long but entertaining story ... INSURANCE. Now I am lucky in that I get to drive to my ports here in FL, and AAA Premier will handle me if something happens on the way. Granted, I do leave the house the day of sailing ... but early early early enough that if something happened along the way, there is plenty of time to get things sorted. But yeah, a nice combination of AAA and travel insurance goes a long way.
Hawkeye is right about insurance. However, in the particular instances I wrote about above, the fact is that the amount of money we received from our insurance was actually minimal. Trip interruption, or even trip cancellation, can cost a bit but it is not really the major reason we take trip insurance.

Recently, in Cambodia, I was rushed to the emergency room with congestive heart failure! I spent two days in ICU and another in a private room. Then we had to extend our hotel stay for an extra three days until the doctor cleared me to fly. There was a more substantial expense, that could have been financially more difficult. Fortunately we had good insurance and the hospital and extra hotel stay were fully covered, as well as the nonrefundable part of the tour we missed in Bangkok.

Can you guess what my hospital bill at the wonderful Royal International Hospital in Siem Reap was? I had Emergency Room with ambulance transport, multiple tests, doctor's fee, and three nights in the hospital. What do you think it cost?

Scroll down ...

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Total hospital bill, just under $6000!!

Still it was nice to have the insurance. It could have been much more.

Old July 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
. Well actually, it is more fun telling about it afterwards than it was while it was happening!!

But really, you are right. When stuff goes wrong, your attitude is what can make a difference. We travel for new experiences, right?
Agree completely!