CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Emergency Kit (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/383821-emergency-kit.html)

MercedMike July 20th, 2011 12:24 PM

Emergency Kit

A post on another thread got me to thinking about our "Emergency Kit." After 44 cruises we have had a lot of things happen and have learned to be prepared (I hope.) We have a Princess cosmetic kit that we won in a Trivia game, and it is filled with all the stuff that we hope will see us through an emergency. What do you take with you? Here is our list:

OTC medications: Immodium, Sudafed, Nyquil, Dayquil, Doan's Pills, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Alleve, Gaviscon, Cepastat Sore Throat Lozenges, and coughdrops.

Creams and gels: Anti Itch Gel, Hydrocortisone 1%, Blistex, Joint-ritis,
Tinactin (anti fungal), Triple Antibiotic and of course hand sanitizer. liquid bandage. Braces wax (no braces, but lots of uses.)

Bandaids, small roll of TP, baby powder, wipes (hand and Prep H), Emergency dental filling material.

Sewing kit, black tape, nail clipper, swiss army knife, eyeglass repair kit, nail file.

I don't think a trip has gone by that we haven't used something from the kit! And of course, if something comes up that we DON'T have covered, it goes in for the next trip. That is how most of that stuff got in there!

What do you take along JUST IN CASE??:D

TravlGrl July 20th, 2011 12:35 PM

Do you bring ALL of those items on your cruises? WOWZA! I guess I'm a minimalist. Our
"emergency kit" is just:

Immodium
Aleve or Advil
Aloe

anniegb July 20th, 2011 12:52 PM

The proprietary names will be different; my list is maybe not quite as comprehensive as MercedMike - but I take a lot of the same with me. It does not take up a lot of room or weight.

My philosophy is if I take it, I won't use it. I always use at least 1 item and give bits or pieces to a fellow cruiser.

Who wants to have to hunt for Bandaid in St.Petersburg ?

Annie

anniegb July 20th, 2011 12:53 PM

The proprietary names will be different; my list is maybe not quite as comprehensive as MercedMike - but I take a lot of the same with me. It does not take up a lot of room or weight.

My philosophy is if I take it, I won't use it. I always use at least 1 item and give bits or pieces to a fellow cruiser.

Annie

green_rd July 20th, 2011 03:43 PM

Mike - Emergency dental filing material?

MercedMike July 21st, 2011 10:55 AM

Emergency dental filling

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1382477)
Mike - Emergency dental filing material?

Yes -- you buy it at the drugstore. A goop you put in the hole to temporarily fill it up until you can get to a dentist. Losing a filling in Madagascar could be a bad experience!

MercedMike July 21st, 2011 10:56 AM

Sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1382452)

Annie

Yes, we often share. However, the MOST appreciated share was at a small church in Tuscany, which turned out to have no TP. My small roll of TP was passed from hand to hand as each entered the restroom! I was the hero of all the ladies on that trip! ;)

RTALLEN July 21st, 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1382451)

Who wants to have to hunt for Bandaid in St.Petersburg ?

Annie

Interesting that an ad for hemorrhoid treatment accompanied your response. I assume it's coincidental.

Trip July 21st, 2011 03:25 PM

On one of out CM cruises, Sharon & Larry came to my aid, with meds,when a head cold from hell hit me. Since then, I pack a mini drug store. On the Magic, I was sick as a dog,and had fellow press pals giving me stuff, other than what I had packed..I welcomed everything and anything.

The price of meds onboard, and in port support the need to bring it all from home!

johnthed0g July 21st, 2011 04:17 PM

Not much but we did learn that "Paracetamol" which is dangerous if the dose is exceeded, can be called different things. We tried to buy some in the US but they had no idea what we meant.

Trip July 21st, 2011 04:32 PM

Have not heard of it either....

anniegb July 21st, 2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTALLEN (Post 1382647)
Interesting that an ad for hemorrhoid treatment accompanied your response. I assume it's coincidental.

I am lost - was it Bandaid?

That was the name of a pop group that issued a charity record in 1984 in aid of the Ethiopian famine or is the another name for sticking plaster like Elastoplast.

Different cultures.

Annie

anniegb July 21st, 2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1382662)
Have not heard of it either....

Trip/JTD - I think the common name in US is Tylenol?

Two countries separated by a common language. That is another reason I carry a mini medical kit.

Annie

Trip July 21st, 2011 04:43 PM

Annie..

http://www.bandaid.com//sites/all/th...amadaHome1.png

Trip July 21st, 2011 04:46 PM

Annie, so many things vary within regions here...I call them elastics,others call them rubber bands..to me soda, is tonic..go figure..Tylenol I know:)

johnthed0g July 21st, 2011 05:03 PM

I was under the impression that Paracetamol is the actual drug, like aspirin is....aspirin. That is why you have to be careful with paracetamol any more than 6 or 8 a day can cause liver damage or even death!

Trip July 21st, 2011 05:08 PM

tylenol would be......Acetaminophen

green_rd July 21st, 2011 05:53 PM

Looks like Paracetamol and acetamenophen are pretty similar. I remember the ads for Panadol. Didn't know it wasn't around in the US. I'm not a part of that target market.

Paracetamol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

anniegb July 21st, 2011 06:26 PM

I don't use paracetamol but knew of Tylenol because I read too much American literature.

Annie

johnthed0g July 21st, 2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1382696)
I don't use paracetamol but knew of Tylenol because I read too much American literature.

Annie

Same here!!
I was prescribed it(Paracetamol) for the Flu/Swine flu on Azura, cheaper ashore.

rayb July 21st, 2011 06:37 PM

d

DUCK TAPE Don't leave without it

Marc July 21st, 2011 08:04 PM

Our kit is similar to Mikes. We also take plenty of travel size TP and hand wipes. I wonder if we need to add medical MJ to our kit. ;)

Kuki July 21st, 2011 08:14 PM

V Iagra and handcuffs:mrgreen:;):mrgreen:

LisaK July 22nd, 2011 10:18 AM

our kit is very similar to Mikes- Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Sudafed,Benadryl, Neosporin, Rolaids,
Bonnine, Bandaids, Aloe Burn Jel (this has been a lifesaver for many friends), Sunscreen,
Chapstick, sewing kit-with extra safety pins, eye-glass repair kit, pen & small notepad, Hydro-cortisone cream, Vaseline, highlighter pen, nail clippers, emery board

OklaCruiserMom July 22nd, 2011 09:49 PM

OMG, Kuki! rofl