Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Familiar Face

Default Fit or Fat?

Curious what others do to try to maintain a relatively healthy diet while cruising. On land, I eat pretty healthy, am a vegetarian, and try to consume as many organic and non-processed foods as possible. While cruising, I maintain my vegetarian diet, but am less concerned about processed foods and finding organic options...and somehow manage to maintain my weight without working out on the cruise.

What do you all do to find the balance? Do you work out while cruising? My follow-up to that is how on earth you deal with sweaty workout attire on your cruise unless you're sending your laundry out daily???

Do you just plan to gain...say 5-10 pounds knowing that you'll lose it when you're back on land?
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Admiral

We take the stairs as often as possible, sometimes we skip when coming back from shore or if the DW's heels prevent it. Just a few walks on sea days and usually our weight stays steady. I don't deny myself in the dining room and I learned on my first cruise that the ice cream machine makes the ship go, so I do my part there - That's true isn't it?

I think it is the booze that gets you. I know I drank more on our last cruise than any previous cruise and was the first time I gained weight.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
?

I think it is the booze that gets you. I know I drank more on our last cruise than any previous cruise and was the first time I gained weight.
i also drank more on my last cruise than any previous cruise. They were quite generous with the drinks at the lounge for Elite Captain's Club Members ( Celebrity ) and with a party with senior officers, plus being invited to sit at the captain's table, there were a lot of free drinks.

On top of that I tried my first Grasshopper and I became hooked.

Since this was a eleven day cruise, I did put on a few extra pounds.

But I had a great time and it was a fabulous cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too use the stairs whenever possible instead of the elevator and try to eat like I normally do. Usually lunch is a salad, but what does me in, is the breads/rolls and then I spot the dessert area. I figure I most likely put on a few pounds, but it can easily be worked off just by getting back to reality/work....I think also being active while cruising, going on tours, walking around towns, etc...help, but it also can work up a good appetite :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I'm really trying to lose weight for our next cruise (25% there towards my weight loss goal!).

But when on the ship .... I'm not going to crazy .... but I don't plan to hold back. I know try to make sure I don't eat for the sake of eating. I'll order dessert, but if I don't love it, I wont' eat it just because it is infront of me.

We always take the stairs. When it is just DH and I; I like to do the stretching/step classes in the morning (usually back to back). It's a great way to start the day. When we cruise with the kids though (which is more often than not) we tend to stick together.

As for the workout clothes .... I pack 5 shorts and 5 t's which doesn't take much room. I will wear my running shoes when travelling. If I can get 5 workouts in on a cruise .... I'm pretty happy.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Perhaps if we skipped the food all day, and just went for the booze, we wouldn't gain anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
On top of that I tried my first Grasshopper and I became hooked
Best. Holiday. Drink. EVER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I too use the stairs whenever possible instead of the elevator and try to eat like I normally do.
I clearly am out of shape, and typically can't walk more than about 5 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. Worse than that though is how my knees feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
As for the workout clothes .... I pack 5 shorts and 5 t's which doesn't take much room. I will wear my running shoes when travelling. If I can get 5 workouts in on a cruise .... I'm pretty happy.
Ok, I'm impressed. But do you send your clothes out to be laundered? I've thought about taking yoga or hopping on the treadmill, but it never goes beyond "thinking" about it. I tend to think that I should be doing something else, or that I won't want to deal with icky, sweaty clothes. Though, we get free laundry on Princess, so I guess there's really no excuse.
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Nope .... no free laundry. I just let the clothes dry when I get back to the cabin, .... and then once dry they get packed up.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Admiral

TravGirl - no food and you would get buzzed much quicker, so you would drink less booze. Wow you have come up with a way to keep fit and save money!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Admiral

we take the stairs, walk the decks, swim, snorkel, walk the beaches, walk around town
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Nope .... no free laundry. I just let the clothes dry when I get back to the cabin, .... and then once dry they get packed up.
That makes sense. I apparently need to work out and stop coming up with reasons NOT to work out while cruising.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
TravGirl - no food and you would get buzzed much quicker, so you would drink less booze. Wow you have come up with a way to keep fit and save money!
Haaaaaa! True!
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

I usually gain a couple of pounds, but, I know I could do worse. We take the stairs as often as possible and I'm somewhat careful at meals. I look at the dinner menu and if I want to enjoy the entree I'll stick to a simple appetizer. If the appetizers wow me, I'll make a dinner out of them. The breads at lunch and supper don't tempt me because I make my own at home.

Ahh the foo-foo drinks Hubby and I were on Princess this past May and we brought a couple of bottles of wine on the ship with us. We were able to avoid most of the alcohol on the ship knowing we had our own wine to enjoy on our balcony.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artrina View Post
Ahh the foo-foo drinks Hubby and I were on Princess this past May and we brought a couple of bottles of wine on the ship with us. We were able to avoid most of the alcohol on the ship knowing we had our own wine to enjoy on our balcony.
These kill me too! I've recently eliminated my consumption of umbrella monkey drinks (my words for 'foo foo' ) in favor of beer and wine, not that beer/wine doesn't have calories, but they have less.

Our next cruise isn't until December, so it'll be interesting to see how I fare with a week of no tropical drinks and only the stuff out of the bottle!
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
First Mate

I'm overweight, but very fit; got back from a week to Bermuda last evening, and this morning I'm down almost 3 pounds from the day I left.

Walk, walk, walk. Always use stairs unless it's at least 3 flights UP.

I avoid the bread basket at dinner, and never finish any rice or potato on the plate.
Never skip desserts, though, or anything else that looks tasty. Lunches are always light; I particularly like to make myself a taco salad, heavy on the salad, light on the meat, medium on the cheese. And ice cream late-night. I also tend to stick to wine, usually one at dinner and one sometime during the evening.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

I am on holiday so I eat & drink what I want, we take exercise & use the gym usually....my wife seldom puts on anything but I can easily put on 2kgs a DAY, that is over 4 pounds. I have always been fat & have virtually given up trying.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
david30101

I mostly fit for my age, and never had a weight problem. i barely break a sweat at the gym, expecially when they keep it quite cold with the a/c. I take the stairs all time, and do allot of walking on deck and ashore.
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I am on holiday so I eat & drink what I want, we take exercise & use the gym usually....my wife seldom puts on anything but I can easily put on 2kgs a DAY, that is over 4 pounds. I have always been fat & have virtually given up trying.
JTD - a weight gain of 2kg per day is equivalent to 15400 excess calories a day. I doubt anyone eats that much. Weight can fluctuate by 2lbs over a 24 hrs period for various reasons - weigh yourself only once per week.

BTW I have had a weight battle all my life as well For me regular exercise is the key.

Annie
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I'm not a vegetarian but I almost never eat meat .I am on a gluten free died but allow myself to go off when dining with friends or being on vacation .
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi TravlGrl !

I struggle with the same questions you have and try to find a balance between working out on the ship and also making sure I get to sleep in and relax a few days. To do this, I always try to pre-plan my work out days so I don't feel guilty not going 1-2 days while cruising. And yes, like everyone else said, I always take the stairs.

Check out my latest blog post for quick tips on eating well at a buffet on a cruise:
FreshCruiser Blog: Quick tips for eating healthy at the buffet on a cruise

And for the booze - go for low calorie drinks, and stay away from margaritas and high calorie blended drinks. (Blog post on healthy drinks - FreshCruiser Blog: Making the right choice – Refreshing low-calorie drinks while cruising

Enjoying all the posts, great website
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Familiar Face

The common theme here seems to be stairs, stairs, and stairs!

Freshcruiser, I'll check out your blog. Thanks!