Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default You gotta shake your head sometimes!

Working in a demanding retail setting, I can commiserate with John Heald, in some of his dealings with passengers. Following along with one of his latest escapades with passengers, this one, just took the cake.

When I sailed the Magic, while not attending his port lectures, I did see this warning on TV. He told us, NOT to buy anything faux, in Italy, because, you as the buyer, could get fined. So, this woman, purchased a "Chanel" bag for 50 euros, paid for it and,voila, the police came,and she got a 400 euro fine, to be paid immediately.

She comes back on the ship,and, it went like this.... I went to see the guest as she demanded and I stood there listening to her tell me that it wasn't her fault for buying the bag it was actually my fault for not personally telling her not to. I explained its on the video playing in her cabin TV but she wouldn't listen. And in front of Sabrina, the guest services manager, she actually pointed her figure at me and said Its your fault and I will never cruise Carnival again. And I nodded and apologized.

It went even further...this woman went on to make up a petition, and, some guests actually signed it!!! I am waiting for the next chapter, tomorrow. Has taking responsibility for your actions, become a thing of the past? Truth is stranger than fiction, How far can someone take a complaint, even when it's pointed out how blatantly wrong they are!

And that people signed her petition, boggles my mind!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I had seen some of John's FB posts on this subject and missed that it was indeed a part of his port talk. I was starting to feel sorry for Mrs. Chanel but no more. Buying knockoffs in the Caribbean or Mexico may be fun but since Carnival tried to warn her ignorance is not so bliss.

I remember seeing these guys in Venice, especially after hours. We had to get past two or three of them to get to our hotel from St. Mark's.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Having had someone threaten to sue me when I worked at Blockbuster because they watched the second disk of The Green Mile first, I know that people have stupid grievances. ANY research will tell you that buying knock offs is illegal in Italy, and yes, John did addess it, but even if he didn't... do people need Carnival to tell them not to rob banks or assault people?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Admiral

I don't understand how John hasn't gone off on someone. He posted last week that during his talk we warned of pickpockets in Rome. Some well dressed guy came up to a women and asked if she wanted him to take her picture..she handed over the camera - then ran. It was somehow Johns fault because he warned of pickpockets, but not this.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am repulsed by the way people post on there.. telling him that they want this and that, never asking... just gimme! The names they call him, and, how over extended he is....Life as a brand ambassador is a tough life.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Comedian Ron White says it best: "You can't fix 'stupid'".

There are probably people in this world that get upset when their local weatherman says it's going to rain but doesn't tell everyone to carry an umbrella.

God must love stupid people because He sure made a lot of them!
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Admiral

P&O told us the same in Venice, but the vendors can be quite insistent, one pushed a bag at my wife & she took it as a sort of reflex...but away from her body sort of holding back to the guy....that's when the cops pounced!! he fled, my wife was left with the cops & the bag..I had sidled into a shop to pretend I didn't know her....as no money has changed hands she was released but we headed right to the nearest bar!!
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
....as no money has changed hands she was released but we headed right to the nearest bar!!
Hey John, does that mean that Mrs "d" got a free Goochy handbag

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Nope she sort of held it out in both hands & the cops took it ....I was still studying that Ferrari F1 car in the shop....
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:20 AM
First Mate

As a long time Cruise Ship Hotel Manager, I shake my head many times every day.
With some of the craziness I hear and witness every hour of the day and night, I am still baffled about how some of these special people have mustered the required brainpower to actually get themselves aboard my ship.