CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   The worst driving experience (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/384210-worst-driving-experience.html)

Lakers Fan August 8th, 2011 12:47 PM

The worst driving experience

What was your worst driving experience either on a cruise excursion or a land cruise ?

We were on a 2 lane road barely wide enough for one car .There were no lights and the road was very high on a hill .Beneath us was a water body .We were diving at night and the road was very busy .We were very happy to get to "civilization".

(This was in NYS)

Mike M August 8th, 2011 12:55 PM

Good question.

I would have to say that the worst driving experience had to be Cairo, Egypt. I rarely get nervous when riding with someone from a foreign country but the lack of, or total ignoring of the traffic rules, scared me. Two lanes roads became four lane roads. Stop signs became "suggestions" and one way streets were ignored.

It was very similar in Shanghai, China. The rules were followed a bit more closely but the numbers of cyclists and pedestrians who completely ignored any rules made me a bit nervous. I sure wouldn't want to drive there.

Take care,
Mike

MercedMike August 9th, 2011 11:52 AM

Drivers

We have been blessed with amazing drivers all over the world.

In Cairo, a motorbike rear ended our van as it slowed for a truck carrying a water buffalo. Both drivers yelled at each other and it was over.

In Casablanca, our bus died in the middle of a busy road. The driver's assistant got out and crawled under the bus, and two policemen came along and yelled at the bus driver instead of directing traffic.

In Java, our driver took a "short cut" to Borobodur. Between the trucks and the motor bikes there appeared to be no room at all for our car, but he found the room and got us to the Temple half an hour before the buses from the ship.

In Amboseli Park in Kenya, a huge bull elephant started walking along the "road" toward us. I could see our driver trying to figure out how fast he could go in reverse! Fortunately the elephant decided to turn aside.

The entire city of Jakarta is basically one big traffic jam. There, our driver possessed the main requirement, patience.

And in Angkor Wat, our driver simply sat on the elephant's neck and kicked its ears ... ;)

MercedMike August 9th, 2011 11:54 AM

Drivers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1385984)

(This was in NYS)

Do you mean NYC??

Lakers Fan August 9th, 2011 12:00 PM

NYS

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1386169)
Do you mean NYC??

This was in Putnam County,NY

green_rd August 9th, 2011 12:50 PM

Not that the road was so bad, but I was a nervous driver on the PCH in the Big Sur area driving a little Vette (Chevette) with a roof rack and a big on the back. I didn't mind getting passed by the sports cars but was afraid some big RV was going to blow us off the road, literally.

Manuel August 9th, 2011 01:04 PM

After driving a truck in Vietnam, everything else is a piece of cake.
I know that I am getting off the subject, but I did arrive in Vietnam by ship and we did do a lot of touring while stationed there.

TM

TravlGrl August 16th, 2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1385984)

(This was in NYS)

LMAO! I almost spit up my food, as I was envisioning a third world country.