Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default If you are prone to seasickness.....

Why go on a cruise? I have seen a number of posts from people that are susceptible to motion / seasickness and have to take medication to combat the effects. Do you love the sea and being on a cruise ship so much that you are willing to put up with getting seasick? Or are you just a crazy masochist?
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I love cruising even though I am prone to getting seasick .I fly even though after every vacation I wind up at my ENT .

What should I do ,hibernate ?
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Admiral

My brother wants to cruise. His wife gets sea sick just looking at the sea.

They asked my advice.

My advice was don't cruise. My SIL is a lousy patient.

There are plenty of excellent vacation alternatives.

Annie
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
My brother wants to cruise. His wife gets sea sick just looking at the sea.

They asked my advice.

My advice was don't cruise. My SIL is a lousy patient.

There are plenty of excellent vacation alternatives.

Annie
Our initial cruise was in 1973 .My wifes seasickness was so bad that we did not cruise again till 1994 .
We got seasick on our cruise 2 weeks ago but we immediately booked our longest cruise to date (12 days)for March 2012 and we are planning another 2012 cruise .

I think for us its because we are a lot older than most of the people who post on CM and we don't have too many more years to be able to cruise .
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife becomes seasick on smaller, ocean going, vessels such as fishing boats. She has also become seasick on lakes when we've had to go through heavy waves.

Because of this she used the scopolomine patch for her first few cruises. On her third or fourth cruise she never changed the patch and realized that it was doing nothing more than a placebo effect. She hasn't been seasick since then and that was about 31 cruises ago.

There are some people who truly do become seasick but I believe many people attribute seasickness to eating rich food and drinking more than they normally do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Familiar Face

I get sick on small boats in the ocean but with all the resources available to prevent seasickness, i am willing to give cruising a try.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Admiral

What like this...??
I don't like dressing up. I don't like crowds. We only eat alone. Can't fly. Can't swim. Easily bored. Feel trapped on a ship. Motion sick.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr_Met View Post
I get sick on small boats in the ocean but with all the resources available to prevent seasickness, i am willing to give cruising a try.
Try eating or drinking something containing ginger, even if it does not work a ginger biscuit dipped in tea/coffee is a delight
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

My Ken is a big sissy when it comes to travel. When we deplane he usually feels nauseous and if there is any motion on the ship he will get nauseous. We book a cabin in the middle as low as possible which usually suits him. On our last couple of cruises he also used a patch which really worked both for the flight and the cruise as well.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

No masochism here. If that was the reason I cruise, there are cheaper ways.
My hubby and I both love cruises. It is a safe and pleasant way to see a bit of the world on a vacation. I started cruising when I was single. I wanted to travel, but didn't have the courage to go off on my own and did not want to take a bus tour or anything like that. Cruises were the answer.
For me, the combination of the luxury of the cruise and the pleasure of seeing other places and other cultures can't be beat. Nothing against other types of vacations. I used to go to dude ranches, and before that, wilderness camping. But, neither gave me the sense of perspective about my life the way other cultures can.
Plus, cruises offer so many options. I can kick back and do nothing or be curious and want to explore new things. And I can decide pretty much on the spur of the moment. If taking some ginger and the occasional bonine pill is part of it, so be it. Today's ships minimize the chances of seasickness anyway.
Does that answer the question?
Marty