Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Help me decide!

Okay, so the husband and I are looking to cruise in December. We have our eye on two very different cruises, but similar itineraries. You might laugh, but let's see what you think. First, I'll tell you about the cruises, then I'll tell you about us and considerations.

Cruise 1: Celebrity Eclipse/Eastern Caribbean 3 ports (Charlotte Amelie, San Juan and St. Maarten) Balcony 859, gratuities prepaid

Cruise 2: Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam/ Eastern Caribbean 4 ports (San Juan, St. Maarten, Grand Turk, Private Island) Oceanview 659, plus we would get a cabana for the week for 299

Considerations:
We host a cruising podcast and want to report about a ship and itinerary people want to hear about, but we are, of course, paying with our own money and it is our vacation. On Celebrity, we could probably only afford 1 specialty restaurant, but could afford to try them all on HAL. We love trivia and ship activities, and it looks like Celebrity has more of that, but would rent the cabana on HAL, which could be really nice. (But different for us, who are not normally loungers. Still, it would give us a nice place to hang out and read.) Cruising with an older demographic doesn't bother us at all, but since we don't have to get up as early in the Caribbean, we might want to stay up late and do activities. We like the idea of a dedicated movie theatre on HAL, as well as the full walk-around promenade deck. Both staterooms seem spacious enough and nice.
So, what do you think? We obviously hit an extra port with HAL, which would give us more to report on, but people might prefer to hear about Celebrity, as it is a bit more "hip" (as opposed to broken hips ) Thanks in advance.
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Cool

My preference would be HAl because it's a smaller ship and less pax.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The Eclipse is a new ship with many new innovations and more people are interested in it rather than the ten year old HAL ship.

I personally would do the Eclipse just to see the new, adult, innovations that Celebrity has implemented.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:55 PM
First Mate

The Nieuw Amsterdam is not a ten-year-old ship; are you thinking of the Amsterdam?

While HAL does tend to have a quieter group, there's always a fun group up late in the Crow's Nest for those who want it. But if I were you I'd skip the cabana and use the money for a good shore excursion or two. By the way, the Tamarind restaurant is EXCELLENT.
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I vote for my fave ship..the Eclipse! My last HAL was not the best, cruise experience, and I love the high end hotel look of the Solstice class. Our Zuiderdam cruise was too quiet at night for us,and we are not party animals by any means

We booked a cabana in 05, with some friends...at that time I believe we paid $219.00, and split it which was ok..Now I think it's like $299.00,and for me, it wasn't worth it, especially at that price.

We dined in Murano and Tuscan Grille on the Eclipse,loved them both..sooo
the Eclipse would be my choice

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator