Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Default Two passports?

Is there any reason a person can't get two passports? I think I've heard of it being done for those who travel to Israel so they can still travel to other countries without an Israeli stamp in their passport book .

Would you just have to apply again, like the first time (including the fees)? Or would you have to say that your passport was lost or stolen and have it replaced?

Like others, I'm a little leery of carrying my passport off the ship, but if I had a "backup" I'd feel much better!

Thanks,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Certain people can have two passports. If you are a diplomat you can have a regular and diplomatic passport.

The general rule is that someone cannot posess two U.S. passports at the same time. There are exceptions but for the regular traveler they do not apply. I don't think us "cruisers" would qualify. BTW: If a second passport is issued it is only good for two years.

Here is the State Department link that explains things as clearly as the government can.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94669.pdf

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Admiral

I think I heard the visitors to Israel get a stamp on a separate paper? We always take our passports with us, that's the point, if you get stranded you can get home.
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Familiar Face

My husband has 2 but he got his 2nd won specifically for Israel. He travels to the middle east and some countries are really picky about that. He also travels for work though so that may be the difference. Also his company used a passport company, I would at least contact one to see what they have to say.
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Familiar Face

won=one, so sorry! just not meant to be up this early
Old August 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Admiral

First, you can have two passports; not just a tourist and official. When we lived in Belgium, we needed to leave our passports two weeks at Russian Embassy for visas. As we were traveling to Poland in the interim, I was able to request additional passports for the two of us. They cost $85 each and are good for only two years so I don't recommend unless necessary.

As for travelling using both; it is probably a good way to end up in jail especially when USA joins the rest of the world in recording departures.

For Israel, if you want, they will stamp on separate paper. I don't worry about Israeli stamps in my passport as I have no plans (currently) to go to countries where it has an impact. BTW, you can go back and forth to Jordan overland with no issues.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post

Like others, I'm a little leery of carrying my passport off the ship, but if I had a "backup" I'd feel much better!

Thanks,
I just make a good color photo copy of mine and bring it with me. (I got stopped at a police check point in Colombia a few years ago and just showed them that, as I left the original in the hotel safe, as was sent on my way no prob). Plus I will scan my passport and email it to myself. That way if all else fails and I have to I can just go to an embassy and have them log on and get my email and there is a copy of my passport on the cloud.