Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Familiar Face

Question Why are aft staterooms coveted?

I've noticed more than once that people want aft facing staterooms.

Can anyone here share the reasons for that? I've thought of a couple of obvious ones... namely less/no wind while at sea, and a great view if where you've been.

There are also some drawbacks I'd imagine. For one, in certain ports when the ship is tied up bow towards the shore, if you've got an aft staterooms you see nothing of the port. Also, I've noticed that there is a bit more vibration near the aft end of a ship, but this would be felt in any room located on the aft third of the ship... it's not specific solely to the aft facing rooms.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am a confirmed aft lover. The view, especially at night, is beautiful and the sound of the wake is mezmerizing.

The other advantages are that the balconies are "usually" a little larger than other balcony cabins. On many ships the cabins are also a little larger. The aft wraparound balconies are the best. The problem is that with the large wrap around balcony I'm not as "out and about" as usual.

I have never had a problem with noise, vibration or not seeing the port. Actually the port areas of most ports aren't that great to look at.

I did have a soot problem on the old Norway when we had a Penthouse suite that was "sort of" on the back of the ship. Sometimes you can have a problem with guests on the Lido deck throwing cigarette butts and other stuff off the back and it ends up on your balcony. On some ships there is less privacy in the rear because those above you can see down onto your balcony.

No matter what I'll take an aft balcony anytime I can. My next two cruises on Carnival Liberty and Carnival Breeze will both be in aft cabins.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It really was not that long ago, when these cabins were not where people wanted to be. The last one I had was fall on the Epic,and it was wonderful. The wide open spaces and watching the wake,is quite comforting I think.

For me as well, not much of anything to bother me..just wonderfulness

I was on a crusie with Kuki on a Princess ship, where, as we sailed out of port, the vibration was unreal......so much so, a wall panel fell off his wall!

If you find one available..book it dano!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Admiral

We had an aft balcony on Ruby Princess it was extra deep - we had two straight chairs and two lounge chairs. Sailaways from most ports were very nice, but you bet as we left Venice we are on the bow taking in the view as we approached.

Two sides of the same coin. There is far less foot traffic with these cabins but it can be a long hike when you want to go all the way forward.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

also, aft staterooms can have minimal air circulation and tend to get warm at times when out enjoying the views.....now a wrap around aft stateroom..... you have the views and air circulation !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Admiral

AFT balcony staterooms are the best! I have never felt vibration, and the views are spectacular. I had a wrap around aft balcony on my Alaska cruise in 2007 and for Europe just last year. In both cases, both the room and the balconies were much larger. We loved it!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There are some really nice ones, and then some not so great ones. The end ones are wonderful, not only do you get the view where you've been, but also side ones...Plus, part of it is covered and the rest is open. You usually get not only a few chairs and table, but lounge chairs as well, there is plenty of room for them.

Now, the not so great part, a long walk to elevators/stairs, but if you don't mind the extra exercise, no big deal.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Only downside for us was less breeze on hot days & a long way to get most places....except on some ships the buffet is just a coupla decks up for the wife to walk for food!!!
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Admiral

We did have a side cabin right next to one of the wraparound balconies - had a case of balcony envy!!

On that cruise we did get a lot of vibration whenever the captain activated the side thrusters for docking maneuvers. By midweek I could wake up and say "We're here"

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014