CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Luxury cruisers - going mass market (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/384707-luxury-cruisers-going-mass-market.html)

green_rd September 1st, 2011 10:13 PM

Luxury cruisers - going mass market

John Heald's blog has had a few stories over the last few months of cruisers that were unhappy with the size of the ship and other aspects such as not enough enrichment lectures. As he talks to them they seem to be seasoned cruisers. The common thread is their previous cruises have been either on small ships and/or higher end lines. When he asks why (did they ever) book with Carnival the answer comes down to cost - I got a really great deal, sometimes a TA directed them to it.

Though I have not cruised at the higher end of the cruising spectrum, from what little I know I can understand why these cruisers are disappointed. However, isn't it just as important for an experienced cruiser to be aware of what they are booking as some of the neophyte mistakes we see along the way?

Marc September 1st, 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1390383)
John Heald's blog has had a few stories over the last few months of cruisers that were unhappy with the size of the ship and other aspects such as not enough enrichment lectures. As he talks to them they seem to be seasoned cruisers. The common thread is their previous cruises have been either on small ships and/or higher end lines. When he asks why (did they ever) book with Carnival the answer comes down to cost - I got a really great deal, sometimes a TA directed them to it.

Though I have not cruised at the higher end of the cruising spectrum, from what little I know I can understand why these cruisers are disappointed. However, isn't it just as important for an experienced cruiser to be aware of what they are booking as some of the neophyte mistakes we see along the way?

The hardest thing for me to go from Regent or Silversea to Carnival would be fixed dining. Of course, quality of food; expansive food choices; good room service; and ability to special order food would all be negatives but I could accept if I were going with the right group. You can get a liquor package with Carnival so it amounts to all inclusive.

Trip September 1st, 2011 11:07 PM

For an upscale cruiser to book any line, other then their favorites, because they got a good deal,and then complain, and, compare the two, is ludicrous. With any research and a backbone, they would know what is offered,and they could say no thanks to the travel agent, if it comes up.

Marc, on many ships, there is NO need for fixed dining,and good room service is a given, and excellent most cruises..that's my experience at least.

To browbeat John, is ridiculous, what he puts up with sometimes, is stranger then fiction.

Kuki September 1st, 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 1390385)
The hardest thing for me to go from Regent or Silversea to Carnival would be fixed dining. Of course, quality of food; expansive food choices; good room service; and ability to special order food would all be negatives but I could accept if I were going with the right group. You can get a liquor package with Carnival so it amounts to all inclusive.

Marc... virtually all the cruise lines have an "anytime" dining option now.

Marc September 1st, 2011 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=Trip;1390392]
Marc, on many ships, there is NO need for fixed dining,and good room service is a given, and excellent most cruises..that's my experience at least.
QUOTE]

I guess I have been misinformed. I had thought it was hard to get a hot breakfast on many ships through room service. Hot breakfast and matzoh ball soup at 2am are my main orders from room service.

I am trying to come up with an alternative (somewhat cheaper) cruising alternative. Currently, Azamara is moving towards the top of the list. I need fridge in room and a few other amenities so I am still researching options. When doing an apples to apples comparison between Regent and Ociania, Regent often wins (especially if you take advantage of included excursions). I think Azamara with their beverage inclusion comes out better.

Donna September 2nd, 2011 08:42 AM

Actually, these days is pretty difficult to get the traditional dining, most is anytime...

Paul Motter September 13th, 2011 06:32 PM

I thinks maybe John Heald heard it as "complaining" when they were probably just comparing ships and noting that Carnival doesn't do some of the things they like.

I mean - I would say it was ludicrous is they sought John out just to tell him they usually sail on uppity-crustier cruise line and they miss the lectures.

Yes - I expect every cruiser to understand the "value equation" on any cruise. You don't eat at McDonalds and complain how bad the food is just because you usually eat at Michelin restaurants.

Come to think of it - some people probably do that... oh well.