Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Default Luxury cruisers - going mass market

John Heald's blog has had a few stories over the last few months of cruisers that were unhappy with the size of the ship and other aspects such as not enough enrichment lectures. As he talks to them they seem to be seasoned cruisers. The common thread is their previous cruises have been either on small ships and/or higher end lines. When he asks why (did they ever) book with Carnival the answer comes down to cost - I got a really great deal, sometimes a TA directed them to it.

Though I have not cruised at the higher end of the cruising spectrum, from what little I know I can understand why these cruisers are disappointed. However, isn't it just as important for an experienced cruiser to be aware of what they are booking as some of the neophyte mistakes we see along the way?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
John Heald's blog has had a few stories over the last few months of cruisers that were unhappy with the size of the ship and other aspects such as not enough enrichment lectures. As he talks to them they seem to be seasoned cruisers. The common thread is their previous cruises have been either on small ships and/or higher end lines. When he asks why (did they ever) book with Carnival the answer comes down to cost - I got a really great deal, sometimes a TA directed them to it.

Though I have not cruised at the higher end of the cruising spectrum, from what little I know I can understand why these cruisers are disappointed. However, isn't it just as important for an experienced cruiser to be aware of what they are booking as some of the neophyte mistakes we see along the way?
The hardest thing for me to go from Regent or Silversea to Carnival would be fixed dining. Of course, quality of food; expansive food choices; good room service; and ability to special order food would all be negatives but I could accept if I were going with the right group. You can get a liquor package with Carnival so it amounts to all inclusive.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For an upscale cruiser to book any line, other then their favorites, because they got a good deal,and then complain, and, compare the two, is ludicrous. With any research and a backbone, they would know what is offered,and they could say no thanks to the travel agent, if it comes up.

Marc, on many ships, there is NO need for fixed dining,and good room service is a given, and excellent most cruises..that's my experience at least.

To browbeat John, is ridiculous, what he puts up with sometimes, is stranger then fiction.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
The hardest thing for me to go from Regent or Silversea to Carnival would be fixed dining. Of course, quality of food; expansive food choices; good room service; and ability to special order food would all be negatives but I could accept if I were going with the right group. You can get a liquor package with Carnival so it amounts to all inclusive.
Marc... virtually all the cruise lines have an "anytime" dining option now.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Trip;1390392]
Marc, on many ships, there is NO need for fixed dining,and good room service is a given, and excellent most cruises..that's my experience at least.
QUOTE]

I guess I have been misinformed. I had thought it was hard to get a hot breakfast on many ships through room service. Hot breakfast and matzoh ball soup at 2am are my main orders from room service.

I am trying to come up with an alternative (somewhat cheaper) cruising alternative. Currently, Azamara is moving towards the top of the list. I need fridge in room and a few other amenities so I am still researching options. When doing an apples to apples comparison between Regent and Ociania, Regent often wins (especially if you take advantage of included excursions). I think Azamara with their beverage inclusion comes out better.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, these days is pretty difficult to get the traditional dining, most is anytime...

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I thinks maybe John Heald heard it as "complaining" when they were probably just comparing ships and noting that Carnival doesn't do some of the things they like.

I mean - I would say it was ludicrous is they sought John out just to tell him they usually sail on uppity-crustier cruise line and they miss the lectures.

Yes - I expect every cruiser to understand the "value equation" on any cruise. You don't eat at McDonalds and complain how bad the food is just because you usually eat at Michelin restaurants.

Come to think of it - some people probably do that... oh well.