Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Reversed Itinerary??

How often do ships reverse thier itineraries? Why do they do this and how soon before the ship sets sail do they inform you?
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It does happen, but for good reasons.....hurricanes often make ships relalign their ports of call. Sometimes there is unrest, or strikes, as just happened in Italy. I know the Magic just had do do some magic with changing ports and excursions.

It's not easy to change all the things that need to change when "stuff" happens.

Thigs can turn on a dime sometimes,without notice at all, other times you may get a heads up.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 10th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Captain

Ships occasionally reverse or alter itineraries to avoid port congestion.

There are some ports that will take as many ships as they can hold. This can result in a totally wasted and ruined day for our passengers. We sometimes alter our itinerary to avoid those problems.
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Itinerary

It is very informative to read the actual cruise contract. Essentially what the ship promises to do is to "attempt to provide transportation." That's it. Period. They can change any port, any time, any cruising direction, anything at all at any time at the sole discretion of the Captain.

However -- making an alteration in the itinerary of any ship is a truly major project. There are so many arrangements to be made, from pilot and berthing space to supplies and deliveries to shore excursions and accomodations ashore. No ship is going to do that on a whim. In fact changes in itinerary are extremely unlikely, especially at the last minute.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is also done on ships that do not have a "home port", on more exotic sailings and river cruises where it isn't feasible to return to the embarkation port. You will see more reverse itineraries outside the Caribbean. An Australia/New Zealand cruise can be one of these. One week it's Sydney to Auckland and the next cruise is Auckland to Sydney. Next year we will be doing an Azamara sailing that is Singapore to Hong Kong. The week before it will be Hong Kong to Singapore.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I think the question is really how often do ships deviate from the published itinerary, and what sort of notification do passengers get?

I'm not sure "how often" I would guess less that 10% of cruises deviate from the published itinerary but when it is weather related you see it happening across several ships at once so it seems epidemic.

Sometimes the decisions are made seemingly "on the fly". You may hear of a change at embarkation or it may occur during the cruise itself.

A couple more reasons for deviation are for medical evacuations of an ill passenger or crew member, or on occasion a cruise ship will come to the aid of a smaller vessel in distress.

There have been deviation due to ship problems - such as propulsion - sometimes passengers are made aware of these deviations a few days or weeks ahead of time.

Like MercedMike said the cruise contract doesn't promise much other than x days aboard the ship.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Talking Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Like MercedMike said the cruise contract doesn't promise much other than x days aboard the ship.
Once again it is very informative to read the contract. In fact, it does not even promise a particular number of days, but provides that the cruise can start late or be cut short without notice or compensation. It really is a marvelous document.

Bottom line is, legally, you are totally at their mercy.

Might as well accept it, relax, and enjoy what you get!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you, all. The reason why I ask is because I took an Eastern Caribbean cruise and it basically went backwards or in reverse. What they advertised as where we would be the first day actually happened on the last day. I am reading some comments from passengers for the itinerary I am thinking about taking and it seems some sailed the itinerary in reverse of what is advertised. Your comments were all very informative.