Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Captain

Default NoroVirus

It's been 10 years since our last cruise (how sad is that?)
I enjoy reading cruise review sites to help me keep up to date on the latest and also to help me re-live our trips (5 cruises total).
I'm recently reading a lot about the NoroVirus outbreaks.
Are these more common now than before? Were the outbreaks in the past just as common but not made public.
It appears as if now the ships hand serve food in the buffets for 48 hours just to make sure the ship is clean. Do newer passenges assume that this is because the previous week had an outbreak? Our last cruise which was in Alaska one of the sister ships in Alaska had an outbreak so our servers loaded our plates and that was about it. To our knoweledge, nobody on our cruise was infected.
Maybe it just seems more common because now the ships are more careful and have hand sanitizers available and other prevention methods.
Has anybody ever done a survey to find what percentage of cruise vacations actually do have outbreaks? I'd like to know that. My guess is that it's not as much as the review sites make it sound.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I observed men on my last cruise going into the bathroom and not washing their hands afterward .People take chances .
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Captain

That of course takes place everywhere. Dirtiest part of a bathroom is the door handle.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The incidents of Noro Virus are in fact much more rare than it appears. The media coverage of these incidents, on the other hand, are much more sensationalized. It used to called "flu". Now in much of the media it's called the "cruise ship virus", though it's much more common to find in nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc.

When there is an outbreak, it's generally limited to around 200 or so passengers out of 2000.

Some cruise lines now try and proactively combat any outbreaks by having buffet food served for the first 48hrs after boarding, as that is the incubation period. Once they are sure there are no cases onboard, they go back to letting people serve themselves.

Go enjoy your cruise. You're more likely to encounter Noro-virus on land at public gatherings than you are on a cruise ship.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Noro is alive and well, but the news hones in on a cruise ship like it's the ONLY place it happens.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Default But...

I have asked this before elsewhere & it was NOT a popular question for some reason...BUT as urine is sterile why is it so bad if a man didn't wash his hands afterwards....?? I am not suggesting he should not do so just wondering that's all.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Captain

I would have no concerns of catching it. It just seems these days there's more talk and worry about it in cruising reviews. As you said, at school's etc it was just thought to be a flu outbreak.
Of course, these are the same people who complain about the "horrible" room steward they had because he/she didn't make towel animals and forgot to fill the ice bucket once.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Admiral

No concerns???.. projectile evacuations from both ends accompanied with severe cramps, possibly two of you in a cabin with one toilet...an absolute nightmare!!
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Captain

I wouldn't waste time and energy worried about catching something on a cruise. Just going out ones front door at home is a risk.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
I wouldn't waste time and energy worried about catching something on a cruise. Just going out ones front door at home is a risk.
I don't worry about it I just don't want it, & one seldom catches Norovirus walking out the door, I try to limit risk where I can.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I don't worry about it I just don't want it, & one seldom catches Norovirus walking out the door, I try to limit risk where I can.
Better start wearing a "bubble" if you are that concerned ! Noro Virus can be contracted in a variety of ways including being around anyone who is coughing, sneezing, etc....not just touching !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Better start wearing a "bubble" if you are that concerned ! Noro Virus can be contracted in a variety of ways including being around anyone who is coughing, sneezing, etc....not just touching !
Say what you want, you catch if you want... I don't want it.
Is this the latest medical advice then? Noro is airborne now? so hand washing is useless, Gels are a waste of time, all the cleaning that the crew have to do is to no avail..all those precautions pointless ..we live & learn!
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Is this the latest medical advice then? Noro is airborne now? so hand washing is useless, Gels are a waste of time, all the cleaning that the crew have to do is to no avail..all those precautions pointless ..we live & learn!
The public thinks gel is the answer, not so. It kills bacteria, not viruses. So it keeps bacteria down. Handwashing is the answer. All the cleaning on board keeps bacteria at much lower levels, a virus will have less to stick to and multiply. I think there is one commercial cleaning product that claims to work on viruses.
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Who said I wanted to catch it ??? Most certainly a germ can be airborne and spread like wildfire..... You are the one and seems so concerned, just as I am..... If everything is a waste of time to prevent contracting Noro Virus in your eyes, and will not solve the problem, you better stay in a sterile environment the rest of your life !

Take the necessary precautions whenever in an area where public is and chances are greatly reduced of you catching anything !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Admiral

The easiest way to catch something is handling paper money .
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

The best thing to do is to wash, wash, wash your hands, to the point of OCD !

Some other ideas for "young" people (some of us grew up with "dirt", etc., and are now, thankfully, immune to most of these viruis's ). Use your little finger or your elbow to push the elevator buttons, carry wipes for your hands and the tables, and the menus, and anything else you touch. Use the provided "anti-bacterial" soap, spray or whatever they have available.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
The best thing to do is to wash, wash, wash your hands, to the point of OCD !

Some other ideas for "young" people (some of us grew up with "dirt", etc., and are now, thankfully, immune to most of these viruis's ). Use your little finger or your elbow to push the elevator buttons, carry wipes for your hands and the tables, and the menus, and anything else you touch. Use the provided "anti-bacterial" soap, spray or whatever they have available.
Another thing is when going to a doctors office everyone signs in with the same pen .I carry my own pen for signing in . I never read magazines in a doctors office.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Another thing is when going to a doctors office everyone signs in with the same pen .I carry my own pen for signing in . I never read magazines in a doctors office.
You sign in at the Doctors - off topic - just curious?

I agree with Fern - hand washing is key - pity there are so many cruisers who don't.

Annie
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Who said I wanted to catch it ??? Most certainly a germ can be airborne and spread like wildfire..... You are the one and seems so concerned, just as I am..... If everything is a waste of time to prevent contracting Noro Virus in your eyes, and will not solve the problem, you better stay in a sterile environment the rest of your life !

Take the necessary precautions whenever in an area where public is and chances are greatly reduced of you catching anything !
I said I didn't want to catch Noro, YOU seem to think there is something wrong with saying this & mock what I say, you said that we cannot avoid it because it is now(according to you) airborne, therefore rendering all precautions taken worthless.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Question Norovirus airborne?

I did a search on the net for reliable medical literature.

The information I found said that airborne particles in the area where someone has just vomited are suspected of spreading norovirus. There is nothing at all about coughing or sneezing spreading the virus particles.

And the notion that "urine is sterile"??? Where in the world did that come from? Not so, my friends. "Urine ... is typically sterile (in the absence of a disease condition)"

That "in the absence of a disease" is the key here, isn't it?

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Interesting... I will look up the "urine " thing maybe one of those myths?
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Default Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
You sign in at the Doctors - off topic - just curious?

I agree with Fern - hand washing is key - pity there are so many cruisers who don't.

Annie
In NYC and its environs all doctors that I've been to have sign in sheets .
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Captain

This sure has taken a turn. My original point was that as I read reviews it sounds as if every single cruise now has a norovirus outbreak. Obviously this isn't even close to being the case. I wonder how many people considering going on a cruise decide against it for fear of getting sick after reading these reviews.
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admiral

I carefully research every ship prior to booking .I check the CDC website ,that is mandatory .
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
This sure has taken a turn. My original point was that as I read reviews it sounds as if every single cruise now has a norovirus outbreak. Obviously this isn't even close to being the case. I wonder how many people considering going on a cruise decide against it for fear of getting sick after reading these reviews.
Wouldn't put me off using one of the top cruise lines, they do all they can to prevent the spread of the bug. Despite what has been said it is spread basically by contact with an infected person or touching what they have touched, especially if THEY did not have clean hands, then introducing your hands to your mouth/nose etc BEFORE you have washed them.
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I have cruised 3 times - there was an outbreak of norovirus on 2 of the vessels. On the last occasion they tried to hush it up until the night before disembarkation.

Annie
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
First Mate

I've lost count of how many cruises I've taken, but the virus only appeared on one of them. It was several years ago, before the "48-hour rule" on the buffet, etc. was implemented; and definitely the bug was brought on board by some arriving passengers. They became ill within a day or so, and by then had passed it on to several others. This was a 2-week cruise on a 1300-or so passenger ship; they immediately stopped all self-service, drained the pools and the hot tubs, and set staff to constantly washing down bannisters, hand rails, elevator buttons, etc.; the infected were confined to their cabins and provided with meal service, laundry service, and DVD's until their contagion periods had passed. They tossed out the jigsaw puzzles and a lot of paperback books and stopped letting people check out games and other books. Within a week a total of 46 passengers and 3crew had been infected and isolated. Once we went 3 days without anyone coming down with symptoms they relaxed the restrictions on those of us who were healthy. Altogether it was a bit annoying but nowhere near the horrific tales that seem to get spread around.
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Holy cow!! There sure seems to be a lot of germaphobes chiming in on this. While no one wants to get sick, especially on vacation, just take some reasonable precautions, relax, and have fun. When you get a flu shot, you're actually given some of the virus so your body can develop an immunity. Over-washing your hands to the point of obsession is almost as bad as not washing your hands at all. Anti-bacterial wipes help to kill bacteria, NOT germs. When we go on a cruise, I'm more concerned about whether or not the entertainment in the theater will be any good than I am about the odds of catching someone's illness. Like Kuki said, you're more likely to come in contact with norovirus (the flu) somewhere on land than you are on a cruise ship.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
Admiral

We have never contracted the noro on a cruise. But, since I have health problems already, I do wash my hands more often when in public. And cruises are definitely a public place! About every other year, my hubby catches a bug of some sort on our cruises, while I don't catch it. So, while too much hand washing may end up being counterproductive over the long haul, I'll still do it on cruises.
Marty