CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Best vs. Worst (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/385089-best-vs-worst.html)

Lakers Fan September 21st, 2011 11:40 AM

Best vs. Worst

If you had a choice between booking the best inside cabin on a cruise or a terrible outside or balcony cabin which would you choose ?

We met a couple on our last cruise who were in the largest cabin on the ship aside from a suite .It was an inside cabin and mid-ship .

They were offered an upgrade to an outside cabin at an end (not the favorable end )or an obstructed balcony cabin .

Queen of Oakville September 21st, 2011 11:56 AM

Not sure .... I think I'd keep the inside.

We just had our first upgrade to a balcony (we always book inside). Those of you who said we'd be spoiled were right.

DH said next time (if the price were right) he'd actually spring for the balcony.

But as for bad location, that is a tough one. When we were offered the upgrade on FOTS, we had the choice of 7214 or 7216. We took 7214 (the most forward balcany). My rationale was that if we took 7216, and smokers took 7214, then we'd get their smoke. As it turned out, we took 7214 and the people who took 7216 were smokers. However with the forward action of the ship, it did not bother us, except when we were in port and they were out smoking.

We contemplated not taking the upgrade at all because the two cabins were forward. We were worried about rocking because my daughter has motion sickness. We didn't notice the rockign at all. I'd book 7214 again in a heartbeat.

Snoozeman September 21st, 2011 12:13 PM

RCCL has some nice larger interior cabins. I had one once and was asked twice if I'd like an upgrade to an O/V. No thank you, I don't consider that an upgrade. Come back with a balcony offer and I'll consider.

RTALLEN September 21st, 2011 01:14 PM

In the past, we've typically booked either an ocean view or balcony cabin. We tried an inside cabin once and didn't like it. We like to be able to see outside when we're in our room. And, since I'm a smoker, unless the cruise lines change their policies about not smoking in the cabins, we'll always be booking a balcony cabin. Since we usually book our cruise and choose our cabin early, (as much as 12 months in advance), the odds of getting a "terrible" balcony cabin are nil.

nlb1050 September 21st, 2011 01:34 PM

Book the inside. if we were given a free upgrade to ov or balcony then we would take it.

Actually had an upgrade to a balcony and we did not know about until we checked in and the person only told us we would really enjoy our cabin. While it was nice we don't need the balcony so only book inside.

skymaster September 21st, 2011 03:42 PM

I've actually made that mistake in the past! We always book an inside, (except on Spirit Class, where we sometimes book a 4K cabin) and have been given an "upgrade" to an obstructed balcony, in a poor location on the ship. I'll keep the inside in the future! A couple of times, we've been upgraded without any O.K. from us, and in that case, there's not a lot you can do. We enjoy the quiet, serenity of the inside cabins!

"SKY"

johnthed0g September 21st, 2011 04:00 PM

We tend to book what we actually want, don't like insides for anything other than a few days..

Trip September 21st, 2011 04:31 PM

An upgrade to one cruiser, is not an upgrade to another cruiser.We had an inside cabin once,and I cannot remember even why we had it, since we always booked, at that time, ov's.

Since I like natural light in our cabins, getting any at all, instead of none, would probably make me change Unless it was a horribley placed cabin.

On the Magic we, were forward,and I thought it would be terrible, and, it was completely the opposite.....happily.

johnthed0g September 21st, 2011 04:49 PM

Last minute free upgrades are not always what they seem...mind you only had one & THAT was to Concierge on =X=

Fern September 21st, 2011 09:04 PM

At this point, at least a balcony. I need fresh air :shock: ! We put "do not upgrade" on our booking. We like a cabin between other pax cabins. It's quiet!

Sometimes they think an "upgrade" means moving you to a higher deck where you may be over or under the galley or a noisy public space.

LisaK September 22nd, 2011 10:16 AM

Neither, we book far enough out to get the balcony cabin of our choice, we tell our TA our top three choices for deck and location and she works her magic, if she can't get us the cabin we want we are booking far enough out to be flexible with our time frame to change the week of our sailing

suse September 22nd, 2011 08:38 PM

Once upon a time, all I booked were balconies. However, cruiselines got a little more restrictive with smoking, so the smokers were booking balconies. So, since I don't smoke and find smoking disgusting, I stopped booking balconies. I would find an inside cabin ok. Not perfect. I have actually stopped booking cruises because of the smoking. I find land resorts preferable and far more restrictive. It's just so tiresome to try to find fresh air on a cruise and rather ridiculous, out on the open sea, to smell the repulsive cigar smoke. Yick!

gb52877 September 23rd, 2011 07:54 AM

We would choose the upgrade. We like to see the sun light. Our last cruise we could only book an ov right up front and very low but we really wanted the itinerary and week. Much to our surprise we loved it. It was so quiet and peaceful. You never saw anyone around or heard anyone even though the ship was sold out.

CruisinK n J September 23rd, 2011 02:07 PM

Best vs Worst

If I had to stay in an inside cabin, I'd stay home. Mike once said that after the third day in an inside cabin, he wanted to cut a hole in the hull, or words to that effect! :):)

These days an obstructed view cabin can be a cruise value.

Judy

Aerogirl September 23rd, 2011 04:34 PM

I'll take the worst balcony over an inside room hands down.