Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Worst cabin??

Has anyone ever booked the very cheapest/worst located cabin available & was it that bad??
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Yes , it was on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam . It was an inside stateroom that was ever so small , it made me feel claustrophobic ! I had never been placed in such a small cabin , it barely had any room to move around and I was it's sole occupant . You can just imagine if you would get stuck in one of these with a cabin mate for a 32-day cruise , what a nightmare it would be . Always inquire about the stateroom size before you make a reservation / deposit , it's better to be safe than sorry !
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I can't say I've ever had "The Worst" cabin. We sailed on an Asian cruise on the Statendam and had an inside cabin. It was actually quite large (approx 160 sq. ft.) but I developed "Inside Cabin Psychosis" after four or five days.

I wanted to take the dang couch, cut it in half, and then drag it up one deck and throw it over the side.

I also wanted to take those "fake curtains" and rip them off the wall. Who the heck did they think they were fooling. There was no window.

Now I know why people who book inside cabins say: "We don't spend much time in the cabin." I was out of there within five minutes of waking up. I was the guy up on the promenade deck, at 5:00 a.m., in sweat pants and t-shirt, babbling incoherently.

I don't think I would ever sail in an inside cabin. I can't say "never" but it would have to be one heck of a deal on one heck of an itinerary before I would consider it. Then I would have to talk my doctor into giving me a prescription for Prozac or some anti-psychotic drug.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Admiral

''Now I know why people who book inside cabins say: "We don't spend much time in the cabin." I was out of there within five minutes of waking up. I was the guy up on the promenade deck, at 5:00 a.m., in sweat pants and t-shirt, babbling incoherently.''
I love this....I have always thought this was the case...:-))
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Default Why did I read this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I can't say I've ever had "The Worst" cabin. We sailed on an Asian cruise on the Statendam and had an inside cabin. It was actually quite large (approx 160 sq. ft.) but I developed "Inside Cabin Psychosis" after four or five days.

I wanted to take the dang couch, cut it in half, and then drag it up one deck and throw it over the side.

I also wanted to take those "fake curtains" and rip them off the wall. Who the heck did they think they were fooling. There was no window.

Now I know why people who book inside cabins say: "We don't spend much time in the cabin." I was out of there within five minutes of waking up. I was the guy up on the promenade deck, at 5:00 a.m., in sweat pants and t-shirt, babbling incoherently.

I don't think I would ever sail in an inside cabin. I can't say "never" but it would have to be one heck of a deal on one heck of an itinerary before I would consider it. Then I would have to talk my doctor into giving me a prescription for Prozac or some anti-psychotic drug.

Take care,
Mike

As of now we are still in the Inside room .
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Admiral

I always book the worst cabin on the ship. I would rather have all the fat cats booking the expensive suites subsidizing my vacation. I get to eat in same restaurants, have the same level of service, see the same shows, go on the same tours..... just, for less money.

My definition of a great ship is one on which I like the worst cabin.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Captain

Smile

I really dont think we would ever book an inside or the worst cabin, I really dont care how much you would save. You know after you worked most of your life away and finally get to do something fun we just feel liked why skimp.
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Got to give a to Marc. The "worst" cabin on RSSC is better than most cabins on mainstream cruise lines.

Mike - those weren't fake curtains - they just didn't cover anything that a curtain is supposed to cover. I noticed Carnival inside cabins have a mirror where the window would be. Interior designers would tell you this makes a room appear larger.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

When people sometimes sneer at those who book more expensive cabins I do wonder why those cabins are there, is it JUST to get revenue from people who want to appear "better" than others or do they reflect the choices of those who just want more comfort?
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Got to give a to Marc. The "worst" cabin on RSSC is better than most cabins on mainstream cruise lines.

Mike - those weren't fake curtains - they just didn't cover anything that a curtain is supposed to cover. I noticed Carnival inside cabins have a mirror where the window would be. Interior designers would tell you this makes a room appear larger.
Interior designers have also told me that bright pink would give my room a "sassy" edge.

The mirror trick has been used for centuries and I would have preferred that to the "faux effect" of the curtains on the wall. Your semantics are correct they were real window treatments.

I don't know if Marc could make the same statement if he sailed in a Cat I on the Norwegian Sky. The lowest grade cabin on a RSSC ship is better than many suites and better than almost any balcony cabin on most mainstream lines.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I don't know if Marc could make the same statement if he sailed in a Cat I on the Norwegian Sky. The lowest grade cabin on a RSSC ship is better than many suites and better than almost any balcony cabin on most mainstream lines.

Take care,
Mike
Mike, re-read my last sentence; I need to "like" the "worst" cabin before I will book it.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
When people sometimes sneer at those who book more expensive cabins I do wonder why those cabins are there, is it JUST to get revenue from people who want to appear "better" than others or do they reflect the choices of those who just want more comfort?
JTD

I think it will be 80% of folks will wish more comfort; 20% - other.

I was allowed the use of a suite - lovely - but not worth the price differential JMHO - but I am not that comfortable in 5 star hotels either - simple lass me.

Annie
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Admiral

I agree with Marc. If we like the cheapest cabin on a ship, we will sail that ship again. We have actually booked bunk bed cabins on Carnival. The cabin steward brought in a spare bed and made us up a queen and we still had room to move around. I like inside cabins because that are usually very quiet and my health problems mean I need to sleep a lot. We're not the type to just hang out in the cabin usually. We did once when weather conditions doing the Mexican Riviera were so bad you really couldn't move around the ship safely. And doors to the outside decks were locked! It's the only time we've run into weather that bad. But, it happened that we had been upgraded to a large outside cabin. I don't think they even have that type of cabin anymore.
In the old, old days, there were some very tiny cabins. Those I would avoid, but today's ships mostly seem to have very adequate cabins....in my book.
But, heck, I'll help row if it gets me on a ship.
Marty
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default I go Carnival!!!

I travel Carnival Only!!! My 7th cruise will be on the Dream for the second time. In 2012...I have been below the water line inside cabin, Outside cabin looking out to where the people walk by. Been 3 floors up from the lobby Inside cabin Quite Spacious, This was on the Glory. And Had a Balcony on the last trip on the Dream....All of the rooms were quite comfortable. I had a great time. Thats why we are going again...
Old September 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive&Cruising View Post
I have been below the water line inside cabin
Love to know what ship that was on and what category stateroom !

Or perhaps you were a crew member ?

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

Love the lower inside cabins. The complete darkness is great to sleep in, not to mention the humming of the engines. Gotta admit that the balcony cabins are good also. Never had a suite, do not know what we would do with that much room.

Read and post cruise reviews