CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Give an old gal a break? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/385208-give-old-gal-break.html)

Trip September 27th, 2011 07:48 PM

Give an old gal a break?

Thankfully, we don't age as fast as cruise ships,and it seems, before you know it, cruisers overlook the old gals, for the new kids on the block.

Would you book an older ship? I remember after I sailed the Tropicale..I called it the "scow." I said, never again. The crew seemed to be doing it by rote..The ship was dirty,and there was just a sense of, I wish I was on another ship.:(

Old ships get drydock, we get botox;) If all the heavens aligned with price, itinerary,and timing..would you book?

green_rd September 27th, 2011 08:27 PM

I'd be glad to do an older ship as long as the crew cared and she had had her botox. I don't need a lot of ship based gltiz to be be happy. I just want to avoid musty, dirty and ripped.

ruthlessboss September 28th, 2011 08:09 AM

Carnival Ecstsy just got her botox facelift! Carnival Liberty has or is due!

Those new huge ships are not necessarily the answer!

Mike M September 28th, 2011 08:29 AM

How can I put this..........................Hell yes. :D

The sad part is that ships that are five or ten years old are considered "old". I did an Asian cruise on Statendam and other than the inside cabin I loved the ship. It was a destination oriented cruise and the ship had everything you wanted for when you arrived back from a long day or for the few sea days we had.

Carnival Liberty is going into drydock and it is "supposed" to be having a major upgrade. This ship is six years old.

We will be sailing on Millennium next year on another Asian cruise. We sailed her about ten years ago when she was almost brand new. We loved it but we'll she how well she's aged.

If the cruise lines keep the ships shipshape then it's fine. If they let them go then it may not be too much fun to cruise them.

Take care,
Mike

Moiraine September 28th, 2011 08:43 AM

In a word, yes. Don't need all the latest glitz. As long as the ship is well maintained, then no problem.

Trip September 28th, 2011 09:08 AM

While the Tropicale had issues I never had on any previous cruise, or since. we had a fun cruise, in spite of the ship.:) My favorite southern itinerary had a lot to do with our enjoyment. I think the last older gal we sailed, was the Century, with our giant CruiseMate group cruise. [whatta cruise!] Drydocking especially with a full glam makeover, makes a gal feel good again...I should be making a spa appointment then.:cool:

RTALLEN September 28th, 2011 09:44 AM

Several years ago, we did a cruise on Carnival's Imagination. At that time, it was pretty gaudy for my taste. About two or three years later, after it had gone into drydock and had been refurbished, we sailed on it again. The tacky, gaudy colors had been toned down and it was much easier on the eyes. We've not been on the Liberty yet. We've booked a cruise on her for May 2012. We've looked at all of the photos and videos we could find on line, and I like the decor. I hope the decor isn't changed too much, and that the drydock is more for regularly scheduled maintenance and not a complete re-do of the decor.
As long as a ship is well maintained, I would have no problem with sailing on an older ship. While most everybody else is sailing on the new ships, maybe it will make the older ones a little less crowded. That could be a bonus.:cool:

LisaK September 28th, 2011 11:33 AM

i totally agree, as long as she is well maintained and has a good crew i would have no problem sailing on an older ship

anniegb September 28th, 2011 12:23 PM

Itinerary is always top of the list.

Key is maintenance and a happy crew.

Annie

ruthlessboss September 28th, 2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1394719)
Itinerary is always top of the list.

Key is maintenance and a happy crew.

Annie

I agree. I did Carnival Dream a few months ago, with all the bells and whistles. I've already forgotten most of them, guess I wasn't impressed!

colorcrazie September 28th, 2011 02:40 PM

Oh yes!!!. If well maintained, I prefer the older ships. I don't need or want all the fancy glitzy stuff. I dislike it actually. And, while I am prone to seasickness, I'll take my bonine if they would give me back that feeling of being at sea. Loved being rocked to sleep at night.
Also, the newest ships are just too huge for me. I'm an old gal myself and can't get around as easily as I used to. I get thoroughly worn out on the newer ships to the point where it stops being fun.
Marty

skymaster September 29th, 2011 08:17 AM

We've done lots and lots of "old ships" over the years, and with only one exception, have always had a super fun time aboard. I agree with the others above, that the crew is what really makes the difference. If the crew is happy, and has a good outlook, then most likely the cruise is going to be a good one. ;)

"SKY"

A&B September 29th, 2011 03:41 PM

Yes I will and I have.

We just sailed the Elation this past July only 6 months after the Conquest and she shallows in comparison to the Conquest though I knew she would, just as I know she will to my upcoming Magic cruise but we had a wonderful cruise all the same. The ship and all the glitz and glamour isn't what makes it a great cruise for me. It's awesome service, wonderful weather with hopefully no catastrophic events keeping me from being able to make a port, etc., etc. I remember my very first cruise (1991) we missed the Cayman Islands due to a tropical storm back when the Stella Salaris sailed from Galveston. I was devastated as I was so looking forward to that port.

I have sailed the Festivale and she was quite aged when I sailed her (1994) but a wonderful cruise as well. As excited as I was to cruise back in my early days, the ship could have been 100 years old and it would have made no difference to me so long as the service, food and weather are good! :p

Beth

Lakers Fan September 30th, 2011 09:30 PM

If I had my druthers it would be a new ship

Marc September 30th, 2011 11:56 PM

My first cruise was on Britannis when she was over 50 years old; wonderful ship. The ships I sailed in 2002 and 2003 when they were brand new, are now getting close to ten years old and still wonderful. It is amazing to me that since 2003, there has not been another ship built with all balcony accomodations; so, I stay with the older ships I enjoy.