Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Captain

Smile Oversold

I was reading an other post on a diffrent thread and someone mentioned that their cruise was oversold.Does this really happen? How can they overbook a cruise? They know how many staterooms there are.What do they do give some people their money back and say tough luck? It sounds like another slap in the face kind of like making reservations and then having the cruise line charter out the boat!
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes it does happen. It is not a common occurence but one that is possible. Cruise lines use a similar approach to inventory management system much like the airlines. They often oversell a cruise knowing that a certain percentage of people will cancel. If for some reason that percentage of people canceling is signifcantly lower than expected then someone will be out of luck.

The compensation for being bumped is usually pretty good. Full refund, significant future cruise credit and perhaps reimbursement of already purchased airline tickets. The cruise lines are only required to refund the full cruise fare and the other stuff are added "goodwill" gestures and not guaranteed so insurance is always a good idea so you can recoup your airfare and other pre-paid expenses.

People who book a guarantee have the greatest chance of being bumped but, as I said earlier, the chances are quite low.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I have heard stories of great buyout packages; but that is not always the case. My cruise this month was oversold for quite a while; then people would cancel for one reason or another. Ends up the "deal" (at least on cruise before ours) was just to give you your money back. Apparently, there are enough people that have had work or other things come up (e.g., financial difficulties) that have been taking the offer. Of course, if that offer had not worked for enough people, they would have sweetened the offer until they had the necessary volunteers. Oceania had an episode of involuntary bumping at last minute a few years back and with all the bad press I would never do that again.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I have heard stories of great buyout packages; but that is not always the case. My cruise this month was oversold for quite a while; then people would cancel for one reason or another. Ends up the "deal" (at least on cruise before ours) was just to give you your money back. Apparently, there are enough people that have had work or other things come up (e.g., financial difficulties) that have been taking the offer. Of course, if that offer had not worked for enough people, they would have sweetened the offer until they had the necessary volunteers. Oceania had an episode of involuntary bumping at last minute a few years back and with all the bad press I would never do that again.
what happens if ther are not enough volunters then how do they decide who to Bump? I would guess loyalty to the cruise line would play a part.Then what just throw everyones name in a hat?And I wonder how far in advance do they notify you? I would not imagine they would let you get all the way to the ship to tell you that you have been bumped!Sounds like a bummer to me I mean what a let down
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The first that would be bumped would be those who have not had a cabin assigned to them. (Guarantees)

I actually believe that a new cruiser would have less of a chance of being bumped than a repeat passenger. They know that if they bump the first time cruiser, on that line, that person will probably never book with them again unless the compensation is good enough.

Long time cruisers already have some built in loyalty and may have a greater tolerance.

It's like upgrades. It "seems" like more new cruisers are given upgrades than repeat cruisers.

This is just my opinion, based on years of cruising, talking to many long time and first time cruisers and reading thousands of post.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Well they do seem to give upgrades to new cruisers. It's all very well giving the money back but what about your hopes & dreams?
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
First Mate

You people are making a big drama out of nothing,

I have managed cruise ships for over 30 years.
I have worked on nearly 1400 cruises.
The majority of those 1400 cruises were overbooked.
Nobody on any of those 1400 cruises was ever bumped.

The cruise lines always sweetens the deal until enough people are quite happy to take them up on the offer.

If you feel the need to worry about details of your cruise, this idea should be at the bottom of your list.
You can only hope that your next cruise is overbooked and you get an offer that you cannot refuse.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post

The cruise lines always sweetens the deal until enough people are quite happy to take them up on the offer.

If you feel the need to worry about details of your cruise, this idea should be at the bottom of your list.
You can only hope that your next cruise is overbooked and you get an offer that you cannot refuse.
With all due respect I asked a question and some nice people were answering it for me I dont feel like anyone was making a big drama out of anything! Your post came off a little rude to meAnd the lady that wrote the post that I read was bumped from her cruise so it does happen.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

While I am sure it does sometimes happen, the only times I've heard this, is when some big wig books the entire ship. You hear the airlines overbook all the time, so I think this is very rare and certainly nothing to worry about.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Even if you were incentivized to change your cruise you still have been bumped.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post

They could not sweeten the deal enough for me, I would keep writing to the newspapers about it until a national paper picks up on the story.