CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   how long in port? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/385271-how-long-port.html)

Kerr_Met October 2nd, 2011 07:59 AM

how long in port?

So I am looking through different excursions while in port and see some of them are 7 or 8 hours. How long is the ship usually in a port, is there a standard , like pull in at 7 am pull out at 5 pm or does it depend on the ship? I assume that if you book a tour through the ship, and its 8 hours, the ship will be there when you return, :D

green_rd October 2nd, 2011 08:09 AM

Time in port varies by itinerary. In most ports the ship is docked somewhere from 7 to 10, maybe 12, hours, especially in the Caribbean. The sponsored excursions should get you back to the ship on time - barring any serious unforeseen incidents. Be mindful of the time if you are out on your own.

fun2cruiz October 2nd, 2011 10:44 AM

Ship sponsored tours are based on the length of time the ship is in it's port of call. Passengers that opt to purchase "non ship" sponsored tours from vendors on their own will run the risk of "missing the boat".

Personally I believe that first time cruisers should stick with ship sponsored tours so as they can rest assured that they will not have to worry about missing the ship, and also that if the tour is cancelled for some reason, the cruiseline will refund the tour costs and that you also have a source to contact should the tour have not met it's description or up to your satisfaction.

Independant tour operators can be very good, many times offer the same tour as ship is offering or better (many times smaller groups on tour !), and at a much lower cost, but you must do your research and check for their payment policies, refund policies, etc. as well as check their integrity and reviews by others who have used them in the past.

Let us know what ports of call you are visiting and perhaps we can assist more !

Dhill October 2nd, 2011 12:01 PM

Fun2cruiz I was just curious as to why you have the D.Q logo and the blizzard of the month at the bottom. of your post? Not that it matters to me or even any of my bussiness I am just curious. Do you own a D.Q or just like them I guess I am just being noisy.Thank you and have a good day.oh by the way we love going th the D.Q!;)

Juanito October 2nd, 2011 12:48 PM

I haven't been on a cruise since 1992, so I count pretty much as a first time cruiser.

- At some ports like Cayman Islands, where you have to take a tender to the island; is there a wait for a tender?

The people who have first priority are people who are on the ship's tours, suite passengers and frequent passengers, right?

- At a port like Cozumel, where there's a pier; will there be a wait to leave the ship? I have been to Cozumel before, I speak Spanish and my wife & I would go out on our own. Will we have to wait to leave the ship after it docks? If so, for how long?

colorcrazie October 2nd, 2011 01:43 PM

Hi Juanito,
Glad to hear you are cruising again. In ports where a tender is needed, the ship's tour groups get off first. Usually, everyone meets in the show lounge. Those who do not have a tour scheduled will get a number and they allow people to go down to the tenders according to the numbers. But, that is only for the first rush. After that, you just go down to the exit, usually the lowest passenger deck.
In Cozumel, and others, where there is a dock, you just walk off. But, there will usually be a line. Crowded at the start, then tapering off. If we are going off on our own, we always wait a bit to let those who are afraid to miss a single minute get off first.
Keep in mind that these two ports have become very popular and therefore can be somewhat crowded. Depending on which cruise line you are on, you may dock close to downtown in Cozumel or far enough away that you will need a taxi into town. In Grand Cayman, you are tendered right to the main town. Somewhat of a madhouse at times.
Either way, allow more time than you think you will need to get back to the ship. Traffic can be a problem, believe it or not.
Have a great cruise!!
Marty

MercedMike October 3rd, 2011 11:03 AM

Tenders

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie (Post 1395206)
In ports where a tender is needed, the ship's tour groups get off first. Usually, everyone meets in the show lounge. Those who do not have a tour scheduled will get a number and they allow people to go down to the tenders according to the numbers. But, that is only for the first rush. After that, you just go down to the exit, usually the lowest passenger deck.

It is not really true that the ship's tours get off first. The ship's tours are normally arranged on staggered schedules anyhow so they depart at various times. The very first ship's tours will probably go on the first tender. After that they mix ship's tours and independents as tenders become available so the people who go up to the lounge early and get a low number will usually disembark reasonably quickly. You do NOT have to wait a long time until ALL the ship's tours are tendered first. In our experience it is generally wise to allow an hour after the arrival time to be ashore.

Fern October 3rd, 2011 08:38 PM

MM said: "In our experience it is generally wise to allow an hour after the arrival time to be ashore."

I SO agree! If you're not booked on an early excursion you'll be much better off to take it easy, go to a relaxing breakfast, get off at 10 AM instead of 8 AM, and enjoy yourself without worrying about what time it is.

JMHO,

Lakers Fan October 3rd, 2011 08:43 PM

Some port stays can be overnight .

KDGodwin October 15th, 2011 07:17 AM

I had the same concern, so thanks for asking! On my next cruise, we have a port that is docked from 6a to 12:30p. The excursion I want to do is 4 hours, and ends with lunch. I am hoping it starts early enough to make it back to the ship on time, but late enough that we aren't eating an all you can eat crab feast for breakfast!

Fern October 15th, 2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDGodwin (Post 1397054)
I had the same concern, so thanks for asking! On my next cruise, we have a port that is docked from 6a to 12:30p. The excursion I want to do is 4 hours, and ends with lunch. I am hoping it starts early enough to make it back to the ship on time, but late enough that we aren't eating an all you can eat crab feast for breakfast!

Krista, I could eat an all you can eat crab feast for breakfast (or brunch, or lunch, or dinner, or dessert, or... :D).

If your excursion is with the ship, I'd say you would probably eat at the end, about 11:30 AM. If it's not a ship excursion be sure to watch the time!