Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Getting a credit if the prices drop?

I wasn't aware this was possible, but I recently came across the CruiseFish site and unless I'm misreading something, it is. Am I correct in understanding that if I pay $1000 per person right now for a cruise next year, and over the course of time the fare drops to $800 per person by the time we sail I can get $200 per person back just by asking? :???:

Is it that simple?

Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAddict View Post
I wasn't aware this was possible, but I recently came across the CruiseFish site and unless I'm misreading something, it is. Am I correct in understanding that if I pay $1000 per person right now for a cruise next year, and over the course of time the fare drops to $800 per person by the time we sail I can get $200 per person back just by asking? :???:

Is it that simple?

Or am I missing something?
Depends on what cruiseline you are speaking of and what fare code you are booking under. Generally.... If you find a lower rate BEFORE FINAL PAYMENT DATE and it is applicable to your sailing date or if you are eligible for a discounted rate i.e. state resident discount, sr. fare, past guest, military, etc......than the difference in the original rate vs. the lower rate would reduce your final payment amount. Some cfruiselines require you to fill out a form depending on the fare code you booked under, if working with a TA, they should be able to take care of the paperwork (if required) for you. Once PAST FINAL PAYMENT DATE in general, if lower fares are found, you will not qualify for any OBC or refund, but could possibly be provided with a nice upgrade to a higher category if it is pricing out at or below your cruise fare.

Alot depends on which cruiseline you are booking with and the rate code that is used.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

While it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the cruise fares after you've booked, there's no guarantee that you'll see a price drop ( but it would be nice). We booked our cruise with Carnival (for next May) using Early Saver. I've kept pretty close tabs on the prices, and so far, for the category we booked, the price has gone UP $100.00 per person. I'm still patiently waiting for a price DROP. Maybe as it gets closer to the sailing date, if the ship hasn't filled to capacity, there'll be a price drop. If you booked your cruise through a travel agent,hopefully he/she is keeping an eye on the fares and will let you know if and when a price drop occurs. If it's before your final payment, it would simply reduce the cost of your cruise. If it's after the final payment, you would be eligible for an on board credit, and your travel agent will tell you what you need to do to get the OBC.

Cruises

upcoming cruise: Carnival Liberty May 2012

CARNIVAL SENSATION FEB. 2008
CARNIVAL DESTINY FEB. 2007
RCCL EXPLORER OF THE SEAS MARCH 2002
RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS DEC. 2000
CARNIVAL IMAGINATION SEPT. 1999
RCCL ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS FEB. 1999
RCCL GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS FEB. 1997
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTALLEN View Post
While it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the cruise fares after you've booked, there's no guarantee that you'll see a price drop ( but it would be nice). We booked our cruise with Carnival (for next May) using Early Saver. I've kept pretty close tabs on the prices, and so far, for the category we booked, the price has gone UP $100.00 per person. I'm still patiently waiting for a price DROP. Maybe as it gets closer to the sailing date, if the ship hasn't filled to capacity, there'll be a price drop. If you booked your cruise through a travel agent,hopefully he/she is keeping an eye on the fares and will let you know if and when a price drop occurs. If it's before your final payment, it would simply reduce the cost of your cruise. If it's after the final payment, you would be eligible for an on board credit, and your travel agent will tell you what you need to do to get the OBC.
This is only true IF you are booked under the Early Saver Fares currently only offered by Carnival Cruiselines. Early Saver Fares are the only fare code that provides this OBC after final payment up to 2 business days before sailing if lower fares should occur.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; October 7th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
This is only true IF you are booked under the Early Saver Fares currently only offered by Carnival Cruiselines. Early Saver Fares are the only fare code that provides this OBC after final payment up to 2 business days before sailing if lower fares should occur.
Well, hooray for those of us that book under Early Saver. It would be nice if all other cruise lines offered this.

Cruises

Old October 8th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Well, hooray for those of us that book under Early Saver. It would be nice if all other cruise lines offered this.
I was merely trying to clarify your comments, i.e. "Early Saver" Rates, to the OP, which are SPECIFIC to Carnival Cruiselines and so that the they did not think it was the same with all cruiselines rate reduction policies. The OP also needs to be aware that ES rates also come with non refundable deposits, no name changes, etc..... Much stricter change/cancellation policies than regular rates. ES rates may in most cases appear cheaper and give more flexibility for price adjustments....But do not necessarily work for everyone due to their stipulations.

No need to get "sarcastic"

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; October 8th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wasn't being sarcastic. I happen to like Early Saver. While I do agree there could be fewer restrictions, I also wish that the other cruise lines had something similar. I realize that not everyone is able to commit to a cruise 12 months in advance. But as of now, I'm happy knowing that we've saved money by booking early. Of course, should the prices happen to drop below what we originally paid, I certainly wouldn't turn down an adjustment or an on board credit. So again, hooray for Early Saver (no sarcasm intended).

Cruises

Old October 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Captain

Thumbs up

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I happen to like Early Saver. While I do agree there could be fewer restrictions, I also wish that the other cruise lines had something similar. I realize that not everyone is able to commit to a cruise 12 months in advance. But as of now, I'm happy knowing that we've saved money by booking early. Of course, should the prices happen to drop below what we originally paid, I certainly wouldn't turn down an adjustment or an on board credit. So again, hooray for Early Saver (no sarcasm intended).
Yeppers...ES can be a hero for many regarding price adjustments or OBC, but it has had its share of nightmare stories too. Personally I think it is a great program... really when you look at it, you stand to lose a max. of $50.00 p/p, but the remaining funds can be used towards final payment on a rescheduled cruise up to two years later. Not a bad risk in my eyes and agree with you in that other cruiselines should comsider something similar to stay in the comeptitive arena. CCL has always been the leader with new and creative ideas -or- perfecting other cruiselines ideas.....Kudos to CCL marketing and pricing stradegy

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"