Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I must say, while on Allure this past week, you kind of forget when hearing all the doom and gloom about the economy, there are still a bunch of people that are doing OK. This ship was absolutly fully booked. I just had me thinking positive for the first time in a long time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I must say, while on Allure this past week, you kind of forget when hearing all the doom and gloom about the economy, there are still a bunch of people that are doing OK. This ship was absolutly fully booked. I just had me thinking positive for the first time in a long time.
Sure, there are always people who are doing OK. But if the OP's stats are correct, only 17% of the population has ever gone to sea. Frequent cruisers are obviously an even lower percentage. Ships are full because cruise lines generally do a good job of understanding the size of the potential market and operating accordingly.
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I realize that this thread is a few months old, but I am new to this forum, and wanted to give a "new spin" to the original posters' question. I am actually a "non-cruiser"....so why am I here?

I'm here because I've been listening to a few family members for MANY years tout how great cruise vacations are, to which frankly we've always resisted. To be fair to our family members who are so insistant, I agreed to check out a few of these cruise community forums (at their recommendation) to get some background and current info on cruising.

To give some general info:

*We are fortunate to earn a very nice living, so economics does not come into play when we choose not to cruise.
* We live in the SE United States, so access to cruise departure ports is not an issue for us if we so chose
* We take multiple enjoyable vacations every year, so I wouldn't characterize ourselves as "workaholics" who can't or won't relax.
* We enjoy having fun, so we are not what most would consider "sticks in the mud".
* He have no doubt that those of you who cruise regularly truly love them, so I have no opinion that cruises must be a "bad vacation"...to each his/her own.
* With full respect to all of you who love cruising....I'm not really looking to be "converted", I'm just trying to offer another opinion on why some of us (I guess 80% of us?) choose not to cruise.

However, from a non-cruisers' standpoint, here are some of the reasons why we have always resisted even considering a cruise (please forgive that some may come across as tired answers to you that have been made by many non-cruisers before):

* We are really not at all interested in "resort type settings"; we have instead traveled to Europe somewhat regularly to stay in B&B's, or go to destinations in Arizona and New Mexico, as well as the Gulf Coast to rental homes.
* We do not happen to like crowded venues for a vacation.....I know that many say that cruise ships are not crowded, but every photo and video our family brings back from their cruises show crowds, crowds and more crowds...I guess they just must happen to go where everyone else is going at the same time?
* Even our cruising family members have commented that food and service has declined for them on ships over the past 5 years.... they even compared the "fine dining" (in the MDR) to the quality of Chili's or TGI Friday's. (Not that those are bad places to eat, but "fine dining")? That really doesn't appeal to us.
* I know that ships offer a large number of activities, however we're honestly not rock-climbers, or pool loungers, heavy-drinkers/partiers, or surfers (wave-rider)...we're more the types to go to the beach however, or go on an expedition in Santa Fe, NM or Sedona, AZ or the Grand Canyon for instance.
* Everyone says that you can't feel cooped-up on a ship, but those cabins REALLY look tiny to us (from our family's photos).
* It's not possible to try out a ship and decide you don't like it (unless you're on Carnival I guess with that cruise guarantee they used to talk about?) When you go to a hotel, if you don't like it, you leave...hard to do on a ship...you have to be completely committed to the duration of the trip....not our cup of tea if we don't like it.

Anyway, not to bore you, but my family certainly never seems to take a respectful "no" for an answer when we refuse to cruise with them

Hopefully this offers some (completely respectful) perspective on an "alternate view"......
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Quite frankly, I think, if you are on the right cruise for you and your family, you may just find that you are enjoying yourselves....I would recommend Princess or Celebrity for the issues you mentioned. Just do your homework before deciding a ship and destination...

Please, keep us posted and try to keep an open mind and consider the option of taking a cruise vacation, you may be suprised.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While we have been cruising for over 20 years, I do understand,and accept that cruising is not for everyone. For many vacationers, the value they get with a cruise, puts it at the top of the list.

It seems that your are fortunate to be able to vacation often, and are selective about the ambiance of your surroundings, and, from what you have seen, and heard from your family, a cruise ship does not support, what you like about the vacations you have taken.

I agree that any cabin, you would book, unless it was a catagory of a suite & up, you will feel, and be cramped. On largers ships, the design is such, that the flow lessens the crowded feeling, but you are still sailing with 2500- 4000 people. There will be some lines, getting on, and, off can be an issue at times..these things are a given, and most go with the flow.

Courtyard Villas, on the NCL line allows a sense of privacy & dining, within these, set apart cabins.I have toured them, and they are stunning. Other lines like Seabourn, Crystal, might surprise you with what the level of fine dining and a much smaller passenger ratio. Something to consider.

Living close to a port does make a shorter cruise to test it out easier to do, but honestly, what you would experience of a short run, is not a true test, in my opinion.

Cruisers are a devoted bunch, as you have found out. This is my opinion alone, and, excuse my straight forwardness. There comes a time, when you will just stop defending how you spend your vacation dollars. What is sublime for one, is misery for another..You've listened, and researched, and if you decide it's not for us, so be it. Look at the family's cruise pictures, and smile.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

AHarkins... I completely respect your position. I absolutely agree that a cruise vacation is not going to be "the thing" for everyone.

And on cruises you do indeed compromise on some things (like size of accommondation, etc), in exchange for other things.

And I also agree that you don't have to try a cruise to know, after researching it, that a cruise is not in line with what you enjoy and look for in a vacation.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Admiral

You are correct in that you are stuck for a certain amount of time.

Cruising is not for everyone.
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Admiral

AHarkins...first, welcome to CruiseMates and secondly, from this cruiser, I agree with you. We enjoy cruising and being at sea, we really do, but we find ourselves backing away a bit and doing land trips. I have 4 future cruise credits to use up and nothing booked. We were going to do a wine cruise, thought about it, and decided to just go to Napa instead..cheaper (shockingly) and better weather. We were looking for something in the spring, usually a cruise...I just booked a condo in Honolulu this morning for a week instead.

We're really starting to miss our own schedule when on a ship. We like waking up and deciding what to do that day. Do we want to explore or a beach day...yes, you can do that on a ship, as long as its confined to the port you happen to be at that day.

We'll still cruise, just more to places that a ship makes it easier to get around...ie. Asia, South America, etc. but right now were more interested in visiting more places in detail than what a ship can provide.

and from a perspective of a non cruiser, my girlfriend is petrified of rogue waves, she will not step foot on a cruise ship.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Yet another consideration --- although I have not seen a recent statistic, the last I did said that less than 50% of our population has ever been on an airplane. So, since many people do not live within reasonable driving distance of a cruiseport, that automatically cuts down on the portion who would even consider a cruise.
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can see why some people do not like to cruise. I've heard some people say they do not like having to be at a certain place at a certain time for the activities, like the shows and bingo. But I suppose any vacation you take there are time restrains. Also, not being enough time in port. Some people like to visit a place and really get to know it as if they were living there. Time in port on a ship doesnt allow you time to do this. Also, if people like quiet, it may be hard to find on the ship other than on your balcony and perhaps some people feel they could be on a balcony anywhere. So, if you are not impressed with the ship and really want to get to know a place, cruising may not be for you. However, it is a great way to get a little taste of everywhere so that you can return on land to your favorite places for the next time!