Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dry Docks

Have you ever booked a cruise because you knew it was just out of dry dock or does that not affect your decision at all? Have you ever been on a ship just before dry dock and thought it looked a little shabby, only to learn that it was going to get freshened up after your cruise? Would that disappoint you, and would you pay more to cruise on a ship that is just out of dry dock?
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have been on ships before, after and IN dry dock.

I would definitely recommend taking many cruise ships right after dry dock, depending on they did during the dry dock. For example, I was just taken to Victoria, BC, by Royal caribbean to see the upgrades given to Radiance of the Seas.

based on what they did to the ship, adding several new restaurants, new stateroons, etc, I would say they made an already popular ship far more attractive.

As far as whethwere or not I would be disappointed about taking a cruise if I found out they were just about the go into drydock - the answer is "maybe."

It depends on what they plan to do to the ship. If it is just new carpet & drapes then I don't think it would have changed the experience for me. I notice decor, but it doesn't upset me to see a frayed carpet, etc.

However, if it was a major upgrade with new restaurants, etc, I would have been disappointed that I didn't wait until after the dry dock.