Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Captain

Default How long before a Cruise do you prepare?

The excitement of counting down the days to your cruise is just one of the things that make cruising fun.....So the question is.....

How many days before the cruise do you start preparing?

Do you get the suitcases ready 2 weeks before you cruise?
Go out and buy new clothes for the cruise a month before you go?
Prep your car for the trip 3 months in advance?

These are just a sample of the things I'm looking for on this thread. Things like buying shore excursions and airlines tickets are a given to be done early, I'm looking for the "Just can't wait to pack and go" things you do as the excitement builds

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

We usually start our planning about a year in advance, we cruise in the winter to get away from the new england winter, so i will start shopping for end of the season summer sales and clearance items in July/August, pick up a few pairs of new shorts, t-shirts and if i see that wow sundress on clearance it has my name on it. . About a month before we cruise i go thru the closet, check out DH's suit, send it to the cleaners if necessary, check for missing buttons, and make my list- go thru my stash of toiletries to see if anything needs to be replaced. About two weeks before the suitcases come out of the closet to get aired out, the suitcases are laid-out in the spare bedroom and clothes get laid-out, packed and checked off the list. But the most important thing i do at about the two week mark is to double check ALL documentation, insurance ,cruise tickets, air tickets, hotel reservations. On the top of my list in red ink is one word PASSPORT. About one week before inform mail carrier to hold mail, stop newspapers, tell next door neighbors we will be going away and ask them to keep an eye on the house. The night before suitcases go into the car. When we are ready to leave, i check with everyone, do you have your Passport, id's. I hold onto all other documentation until check-in.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Iamchip

I usually get the suitcases ready the week before I cruise, but I go out and buy new clothes for the cruise during the last month before. I also make a point to try to go out a get a nice bottle of wine for the gf and I. The weekend before I get a haircut as well.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

About a month before, I start looking at my clothes, and, bring what needs to be taken to the cleaner. Check out my fave shopping psots for deals. Depending on when I cruise, if the holiday sales are on, I will check for fancy shmancy things .

A week before, the suitcases come down,and start washing and ironing, and getting our traveling medicine cabinet in order. One thing, I have OCD over is,making sure all oue paper work is in order. Even in the car on the way to the airport,I am stillmaking sure the tickets and passports, which I know are there, are really there.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Admiral

A few days prior to cruising we decide what to take and pack the morning of the cruise .
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Iamchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
A few days prior to cruising we decide what to take and pack the morning of the cruise .
Oh living life on the edge! You must be good, I'd forget a bunch of stuff if I did that. Do you ever forget anything by packing so late?
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Yes ,I have .I related in a post last year that one year I forgot to take enough underwear and luckily I was able to find a store that carried my size.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I actually start about a month out, suitcases come out the week before...I agree Trip, you have to double, triple check all the documents. How may posts have we all read where passports were left on kitchen table, etc...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Captain

We normally book a year in advance also but this coming cruise we booked 1 month before sailing. Normally for us we have the suite cases out and packed a week before we actually leave. I also ready the car the week we are gonna leave, change oil if needed, vacuum and clean interior, ect.

This cruise every thing will be done last minute, including printing boarding passes because my wife and I drive truck and will not be home till 4 days before we cruise. I am so afraid we will forget something! Luckily, my wife is one of those make a list persons so we should be good

Booking so late though, I gotta admit, has had me really excited since I booked and I am sure excitement will continue until we reach the ship!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Yikes! Leaving Sat., better get that suitcase out!
A few things picked out, but do my best packing toiletries etc last minute.
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

We tend to take long cruises so starting 3-4 months out is not unusual. I start with lists. This next cruise we will need 3 seasons of clothing. I start packing at least 5 weeks before the cruise. Luggage will be picked up and shipped 3 weeks prior and last minute items go in one bag we take with us.