Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Familiar Face

Default Authorization for foreign travel with minor

If anyone has ever needed this form, I would love to hear your story!

My daughter's father told me 6 months ago that he would sign the form, but has yet to do so and hasn't responded to my e-mails over the last two months He is currently deployed and we leave in 10 days, so my hands are really tied! I do have a copy of her birth certificate without his name on it, so at this point, I just plan on bringing that and praying!

I'm also curious how this whole thing works in this day and age where so many children grow up not knowing who their dad is, and I'm sure that some dads were never even told that have a kid ... Do those mothers just not travel outside of the country!?
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went cruising with our friends a year ago. They have custody of his two kids from his previous marriage. His ex also promised to sign for them to get the kids passports, and didn't. Then she promised to sign authorization for foreign travel, and she didn't do that either. He simply took their BCs and their custody papers. They had no problem whatsoever. Hope this helps!
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
We went cruising with our friends a year ago. They have custody of his two kids from his previous marriage. His ex also promised to sign for them to get the kids passports, and didn't. Then she promised to sign authorization for foreign travel, and she didn't do that either. He simply took their BCs and their custody papers. They had no problem whatsoever. Hope this helps!
They didn't need passports!? Were they ever questioned, and had to show the documentation to anyone?
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnGrl View Post
I do have a copy of her birth certificate without his name on it, so at this point, I just plan on bringing that and praying.
You have the passport and BC w/out his name on it???... Should be no problems at all, even if just using a BC and photo ID (required if a minor 16 years and under).

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
You have the passport and BC w/out his name on it???... Should be no problems at all, even if just using a BC and photo ID (required if a minor 16 years and under).
Indeed SHOULD be no problem. I have rarely heard of someone even being asked for the papers ...

UNLESS ...

Some minor functionary someplace gets bored and decides it is his day to make trouble ...

OR ...

unless there is some sort of incident which gets the authorities involved ...

OR ...

unless somebody decides that they need a new policy and sends a memo around ...

OR ...

unless that uncooperative ex decides that this is something to make an issue out of ...

OR ...

Well, something happens.

Good luck -- I hope it works for you.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

birth certificate isn't enough you need a photo id also, her school id with photo will do
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
birth certificate isn't enough you need a photo id also, her school id with photo will do
Yes BC is enough if under 16 years of age no photo ID required.
School photo ID is good to have though for those under 16 years of age, but in the same breath does not qualify as a "gov't. issued" photo ID for those 16 years and older.

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
He signed for the passport years ago (I thought she needed it) ... I guess I didn't realize his name was on it. I will take the school ID and a birth certificate too ... and pray!
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnGrl View Post
He signed for the passport years ago (I thought she needed it) ... I guess I didn't realize his name was on it. I will take the school ID and a birth certificate too ... and pray!
You should be well covered with all those docs.

Good Luck and have a great cruise !

"January"
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes BC is enough if under 16 years of age no photo ID required.
School photo ID is good to have though for those under 16 years of age, but in the same breath does not qualify as a "gov't. issued" photo ID for those 16 years and older.
are you sure about this? on our last cruise, our friends who have a daughter who was 13 at the time, had to show her picture id- which was her school id
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am no expert. I will say we have heard about this being a problem, but pretty rarely. There are so many single parents these days I think it is pretty unlikely someone would choose to make this an issue just for you.

I think it would also help if you just happened to have any communication from him where he promised to take care of his end with you. Don't show it or even mention it unless it becomes an issue, but if the worst happens, having that might help.

When it comes to CPB I never have any problems - as long as you feel confident and act friendly I really doubt anyone is going to give you a hard time. I always just say "good morning" and sail through. Of course I have nothing to hide, but it just surprises me that I travel pretty often and I never get a security check.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am no expert. I will say we have heard about this being a problem, but pretty rarely. There are so many single parents these days I think it is pretty unlikely someone would choose to make this an issue just for you.

I think it would also help if you just happened to have any communication from him where he promised to take care of his end with you. Don't show it or even mention it unless it becomes an issue, but if the worst happens, having that might help.

When it comes to CPB I never have any problems - as long as you feel confident and act friendly I really doubt anyone is going to give you a hard time. I always just say "good morning" and sail through. Of course I have nothing to hide, but it just surprises me that I travel pretty often and I never get a security check.