Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Leaving late...

I was discussing ships not waiting for late passengers, I was trying to explain that one reason for them not waiting was they are either late at the next port OR they have to go faster therefore using more fuel. I think I am right saying this as they plan to leave at a certain time & plot a course at a certain speed, if they deviated from this it must use more fuel....any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Partially correct in your assesment and also can depend on the embarkation ports if going under bridges are involved, and tidal conditions can dictate some timing issues as well.
But also ships only have a certain amount of time to be in their berth before they must head out due to port authority to avoid possible fines for unnecessary delays.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Admiral

Although "waiting" sounds like a polite concept. why should they wait? We are told what time to be back on board on port days and that gives time to process everyone back. Why people push the limits, I don't understand.
Each ship has thousands who were back on time. There are other aspects people don't think about, and that's the dock workers being held up while on "their" timeclock and who pays them their overtime? They just "stand there" waiting to complete their job.
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Admiral

Yep good points, they rent a berth from say 7am until 6pm then they leave. Yes too there are bridges & tides to take into consideration. What I was trying to get over was, they have plotted a course from A to B at a certain speed, if they have to go faster they use more fuel, trouble was those I was "discussing" it with just said ''but they can make up the time" Arrgghh!!
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It has always amazed me, how accurately most ships stick to their schedule. It is rare to leave any port late, so I am sure a lot of factors go into staying on time and leaving when they are supposed to.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Captain

Smile

I saw a show about a cruise ship the other night on the history channel I cant remember what ship it was about thou, But anyway it showed the ship in port and some people were late getting back to the ship in fact it was quit a few people.They ended up waiting about half an hour for everyone. They said since they were behind scheldue that they would have to increace their speed which in turn would burn about Thirty thousand dollars more in fuel! I found it a little hard to believe buts thats what they said.I also thought that it was really rude to think that you are so important that the ship will wait for you and the heck with everyone else on board! Now before everyone jumps on me I know stuff happens and people will be late once in a while but this was 15 or 20 people and they were not all in one group!
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Admiral

The other place where I mentioned that if they leave late they have to catch up, so therefore must go faster, so therefore must use more fuel seems to be a bit difficult to grasp by some. What can you say?
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Captain

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
The other place where I mentioned that if they leave late they have to catch up, so therefore must go faster, so therefore must use more fuel seems to be a bit difficult to grasp by some. What can you say?
WOW really such anger why do you have to be little people? Everyone is just responding to your post! If you dont want people to comment then why post?
Old December 27th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post

WOW really such anger why do you have to be little people? Everyone is just responding to your post! If you dont want people to comment then why post?
No anger here, but you seem upset about something, only a discussion about why ships leave on time & not even on this site, just thought I would ask experienced cruisers what they thought about the reasons why they do. Is it difficult to grasp if something goes faster it uses more fuel?
I could easily say if you are not interested in the subject or only wish to be unpleasant why do you post?
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Admiral

The best thing to do is for all passengers to do their best to be on time.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I am not putting anyone down...I am, I admit, talking about them behind their back on a forum where I feel people understand the principle that if something goes faster it uses more energy, & appreciate that ships leave people behind because they have to. I DON'T however see fit to lecture others publically on what they post or how they say things.
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The best thing to do is for all passengers to do their best to be on time.

TM
Quite ....but the question was raised that the ship "ACTUALLY" would leave without people?? & I was explaining the reasons why this may be...as far as I know.
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Admiral

John you bring up very valid points, yes we have seen cruise ships leave passengers behind, the ships are on a fairly tight time table,if they are late, that will mess up immigration, dock workers, loading of supplies etc, etc not to mention shore excursions -they know how long it takes to get from port A to port B, and yes the ship will definately burn more fuel if she has to go faster
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Admiral

It was one of those throwaway remarks that I really thought nobody would have an issue with...."why do they leave people?" Well, it's like this...sort of thing, sometimes best not to bother!!
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Admiral

There is an old saying that goes something like: If you can't be a shining example you might as well be a horrible warning to others.

I suppose if the ship didn't leave stragglers behind they might leave port. If they will wait 15 minutes - why not a half an hour - if 30 minutes why not 60 - and on it goes.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Very well put, Bob.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Admiral

I always wonder why people do miss the ship, I suppose transport (independent) failure & getting lost are understandable to a degree. The thing is WE know the ship will leave on time but they don't make it abundantly clear.
This brings me to airports & why people check in but don't turn up to board, WE are quick to slate these people but just think....how do WE know that once you check in you go through security to "airside" & then have to watch a monitor? People may not actually KNOW this & just think someone will tell them or something??
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Admiral

John,
There are a number of reasons that "checked in" passengers miss flights. Here are some that come to mind, in no particular order:
* Checked in on-line within 24 hours, but were delayed and never made it to the airport
* Checked in late and didn't make it through security
* Have a connecting flight that hasn't landed or didn't land in a timely manner
* Got to the airport too early and missed it because they were sitting in a bar somewhere

My guess would be missed connections would be the biggest reason, followed by business travelers who have to change plans at the last minute, but I don't know.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
John,
There are a number of reasons that "checked in" passengers miss flights. Here are some that come to mind, in no particular order:
* Checked in on-line within 24 hours, but were delayed and never made it to the airport
* Checked in late and didn't make it through security
* Have a connecting flight that hasn't landed or didn't land in a timely manner
* Got to the airport too early and missed it because they were sitting in a bar somewhere

My guess would be missed connections would be the biggest reason, followed by business travelers who have to change plans at the last minute, but I don't know.
I was mainly wondering about the cases where the plane is kept waiting & bags taken off because of "option 4" above mostly I suspect. I was considering though that WE know about the procedures but some may not realise what to do after check in & stay "land-side"
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - I have seen MANY ships leave late, especially on the first day, when a there is bad weather a significant number of passenger flights are delayed.

I have also read (someplace) that the engines in most cruise ships DO burn much more fuel when they have to increase the speed of the ship. It is a diminishing returns scenario where you burn up far more for just a slight increase in speed.

If you think about it, the people on the cruise who arrived on time don't want to hear the ship will arrive late in port just because the ship had to leave late. That wouldn't "fly" as an excuse - so they have to make up the time.

It's a tough business when 1/2-hour could mean a $30,000 difference. Those ships tend to burn several tons of fuel every hour. I have read the average "mileage per gallon" for a cruise ship is about 40 feet. This means they can burn four to 10 tons of fuel per hour. I read the average cost of ship fuel is about $680/ton.

Here is data on the Queen Mary:

Bunker Capacities -

Heavy Fuel 5,350 tonnes
Marine Gas Oil 3,885 tonnes

Fuel Tanks
Heavy Fuel 9
Marine Gas Oil 13

Fuel Consumption
The diesel engines burn approximately 3 tonnes per hour each
The gas turbines burn approximately 6 tonnes per hour each

Queen Mary 2 uses grade IFO 380 and marine gas oil.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Yes, ships leave late to suit themselves for reasons such as weather or connection problems, they do make up time & it costs more, interestingly the example given by Paul was the ship I was talking about.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Familiar Face

thats the nice info i came to know about cruise thanks all....
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default leaving late

As paul has mentioned above I have seen and been on ships that wait for lots of passengers. I.E. Shore excurions. They know if a group has not arrived on time the ship will wait for them. There could be several reasons why the buses are late. Bus broke down, weather etc.

Then also if an airflight is late arriving at the imbarkation port and has passengers onboard, the ship will wait for them.

Nuff discussion of the use of fuel in the fast speed. It happens.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.