Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I was meaning a collision with another ship or unseen object at sea at speed resulting in a catastrophic failure of the integrity of the hull, not scraping a rock at relatively slow speed close to land.
That scraping as you call it was enough to tear a hole well over 150 foot long in her hull. I think having a hole ripped in her hull well over 150 feet is a catastropic failure of the hull, that ended in this terrible accident and the lose of many lifes. Ships hulls are not designed to be dragged across the rocks. Alot of ships have been lost by scraping a rock at reatively slow speeds and most of this happens close to land.Take care and have a nice day
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
That scraping as you call it was enough to tear a hole well over 150 foot long in her hull. I think having a hole ripped in her hull well over 150 feet is a catastropic failure of the hull, that ended in this terrible accident and the lose of many lifes. Ships hulls are not designed to be dragged across the rocks. Alot of ships have been lost by scraping a rock at reatively slow speeds and most of this happens close to land.Take care and have a nice day
The scenario I envisaged where a modern cruise ship is lost was something like a collision at sea, a completely unforseen incident, a fluke, not anything like what occurred.
I haven't said there was no hole, nor that there was not a catastrophic failure of the hull, I realise it was a terrible accident & lives were lost, I also realise ships are not designed to hit rocks & rocks are usually close to land but thank you for pointing this out. What I have said is that I was surprised the ship sank so quickly, I did not think this would be the case with a modern vessel.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
The scenario I envisaged where a modern cruise ship is lost was something like a collision at sea, a completely unforseen incident, a fluke, not anything like what occurred.
I haven't said there was no hole, nor that there was not a catastrophic failure of the hull, I realise it was a terrible accident & lives were lost, I also realise ships are not designed to hit rocks & rocks are usually close to land but thank you for pointing this out. What I have said is that I was surprised the ship sank so quickly, I did not think this would be the case with a modern vessel.
If this accident was not a fluke then what was it ? its not the norm, And I dont really think anybody thought or foreseen this happening. Large ships of all sizes can sink rather quikly. Look at the Edmund fitzs Gerald.Let us not forget that we are out on the ocean floating around on a pile of steel. Have a nice day and take care
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
If this accident was not a fluke then what was it ? its not the norm, And I dont really think anybody thought or foreseen this happening. Large ships of all sizes can sink rather quikly. Look at the Edmund fitzs Gerald.Let us not forget that we are out on the ocean floating around on a pile of steel. Have a nice day and take care
I really don't see why you appear to be making an issue out of a simple remark that I was surprised that the ship sank so quickly.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
I really don't see why you appear to be making an issue out of a simple remark that I was surprised that the ship sank so quickly.
Just trying to have a conservation about this terrible event. Buts thats all right just forget it sorry. You were right everything you said was correct and everything I said was wrong! I wiil just move along and find someone that wants to hear another point of view besides their own.Have a good evening and a better tomorrow take care.

Last edited by Dhill; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Getting back to the original question as to will I be doing anything different after this disaster? As I posted on another topic, I will not book another cruise on a foreign (non American) cruiseline. This means Adia, Costa, MSC, etc. Except for when they are in Caribbean, English is not the primary language. Those lines have to made announcements in 5 or more languages and in an emergency pax, crew & staff will be running around yelling in all different languages. I will still cruise to European ports but on Princess, RCL, HA, etc.

O F C'er