CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   20/20 show - drinking and violence on cruise ships - what is your experience? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/387239-20-20-show-drinking-violence-cruise-ships-what-your-experience.html)

Queen of Oakville January 22nd, 2012 05:43 PM

20/20 show - drinking and violence on cruise ships - what is your experience?

I know there is thread about 20/20 in this forum right now, but my specific question, is have you EVER seen the debauchery they portrayed on 20/20?

You can see my cruising history in my siggie. I am certainly not as well-cruised as many here, which is why I ask the question.

I have never seen anyone fall-down drunk nor have I ever seen any fights/violence on a cruise ship.

ready2gonow January 22nd, 2012 05:57 PM

I have been on 26 cruises in the last 10 years, including spring break and holidays. I have cruised on 4 different cruise lines. I have never seen ANY type of behavior as they showed on 20/20. I have never seen any type of altercation on a ship. The closest I have come was during our last cruise. We had 2nd dinner seating. At the beginning of the 1st dinner seating, a waiter attacked the Maitre'D, Ken Byrnes, with a heavy ladle. He was badly hurt, as a result. I have seen intoxicated individuals, certainly.... I think I was one once or twice! Never seen anyone passed out!

Trip January 22nd, 2012 07:17 PM

We were once standing by an elevator,and saw a girl run by crying... shortly thereafter, an officer went running by...When we docked, there was a Broward County Sheriffs car waiting, and, he was brought off the ship..I also know someone who's child was accosted.

On out first Cruise,Carnival Celebration, back in 1990, during the Funship years, there was some serious drinking, and some foolish actions by young adults, around the pool.

Fortunately, that's about all we have been witness to, but, certainly there is bad behavior onboard, as there is on land based vacations. We are sailing on ships the size of small towns..things happen. I will say watching the video, on 20/20, if I saw security running away from a situation I would not be happy. I personally was witness to someone, [crew member] falling and went to get an officer. His response was not what I expected, and, I was surprised, to say the least.

Lakers Fan January 22nd, 2012 09:37 PM

The ONLY thing I ever witnessed was a passenger in his 40's punching a woman in her 80's because she cut the line on embarkation .

Kuki January 23rd, 2012 12:21 AM

I didn't see the 20/20 show in question, but I can tell you over the years I have seen incidence of severe drunkeness, and bartenders over serving already obviously enebriated passengers.

I've seen incidents of physical confrontations between passengers; some handled well, others not so well.

The worst was a case of domestic violence, where the ship "official" knew I was onboard as a member of the press, and a partial witness to the incident. They told me the husband was put off the ship in port the following day; imagine my surprise when I saw the man still onboard 2 days later, though his wife did tell me that he hadn't been allowed to return to their cabin.

Frankly I do believe there is a lack of a "security force" on ships these days. Many towns smaller than cruise ships have a police force.

I don't think the incidents of violence and crime are regular occurances on ships. But I do think we need to remember that the cruise industry is in many areas unregulated (self-regulated), and we shouldn't wear blinders just because we love cruising.

snorklr45 January 23rd, 2012 12:49 AM

Wow Kuki, that was an AWESOME post. THANK YOU! I really enjoyed it and could not agree with you more.

Queen of Oakville January 23rd, 2012 01:03 PM

Trip - please post more details about your last comment, what did the officer say? Was the person safetly recovered?

So Kuki, why don't they have more security on cruiseships? Most nightclubs have bouncers, why don't cruiseships have at least some individuals [big, large -muscle-y ones] who can with altercations if and when they occur?

I was surprised by the "fight" they showed on the Dream. Having sailed her in 2010 (when that incident occured) I certainly never saw the likes of what was shown. It seemed suspiciousl that the one officer was more concerned about the guy filming the fight than controlling the fight.

I know when we were on Dream.... there was in incident either that week (on a different ship) or the prior week on Dream (heck - it may have even been our sailing] where some drunken teens dove into a pool that was empty and had been netted off.

I agree that the comparison to spring-break drunkeness has nothing to do with cruising but is only relevant in a show about spring-break drunkeness.

Trip January 23rd, 2012 02:10 PM

Queen, this cruise had several instances of people falling. A child fell by the pool with hardly a glance from a security woman close by. [grrrrr]

As I was walking over to an area for a cup of tea, I witnessed a barman handling a keg of something that was pressurized. He fell,and so did the keg, which proceeded to dance around the deck.

Now this guy went down hard:( I saw an a guy in a blazer & name tag, and told him what just happened. He said something like, he will be ok, with a shrug...not even going over to see how he was ..Made me sick.:(

Manuel January 23rd, 2012 02:21 PM

I have been on 15 cruises on three different cruiselines and I have never seen any violence.

As far as drinking, I have done my share.

TM

Trip January 23rd, 2012 02:35 PM

This happened on the transatlantic that Kuki, and many other CM'ers sailed on..At dinner, an old codger,took his butter knife, and, attacked another old codger...he wasnt put off the ship....Kat, Kuki, remind us !

Now, this was up close and personal!

skymaster January 23rd, 2012 03:08 PM

With over 120 total cruises, on almost all the lines, I've seen quite a few drunks, but 99% of 'em were "happy drunks" and not violent or obnoxious. I have seen a few altercations between passengers, but mostly just harsh words exchanged. We did a "spring break" cruise recently, where a BIG group of breakers stayed drunk for the entire cruise, but once again, they weren't causing anyone, any problems. (except their "daddy" when he got the bill for the booze.) I agree with Kuki, that they really should have a better security force aboard the ships,,,,if for no other reason than to enforce the rules. ie: lounger hogs, and those trying to save entire rows of seats in the theater. (Then I wouldn't have to enforce the rules for them!) ;)

"SKY"

Lakers Fan January 23rd, 2012 03:12 PM

Small towns

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1411367)
I didn't see the 20/20 show in question, but I can tell you over the years I have seen incidence of severe drunkeness, and bartenders over serving already obviously enebriated passengers.

I've seen incidents of physical confrontations between passengers; some handled well, others not so well.

The worst was a case of domestic violence, where the ship "official" knew I was onboard as a member of the press, and a partial witness to the incident. They told me the husband was put off the ship in port the following day; imagine my surprise when I saw the man still onboard 2 days later, though his wife did tell me that he hadn't been allowed to return to their cabin.

Frankly I do believe there is a lack of a "security force" on ships these days. Many towns smaller than cruise ships have a police force.

I don't think the incidents of violence and crime are regular occurances on ships. But I do think we need to remember that the cruise industry is in many areas unregulated (self-regulated), and we shouldn't wear blinders just because we love cruising.

The town I reside in has a population of 25,000 .We do not have a police force .
Prior to boarding an HAL ship last year I inquired as to the security force on board and I was led to believe that it was quite sufficient as far as numbers and training .

Kuki January 23rd, 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1411487)
The town I reside in has a population of 25,000 .We do not have a police force .
Prior to boarding an HAL ship last year I inquired as to the security force on board and I was led to believe that it was quite sufficient as far as numbers and training .

Henry... you may have no police force, but I'd be willing to bet at the very least your town has contracted with the police force from a nearby county, or agency.

I don't imagine you are claiming there is no policing of your town.