Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Default 20/20 show - drinking and violence on cruise ships - what is your experience?

I know there is thread about 20/20 in this forum right now, but my specific question, is have you EVER seen the debauchery they portrayed on 20/20?

You can see my cruising history in my siggie. I am certainly not as well-cruised as many here, which is why I ask the question.

I have never seen anyone fall-down drunk nor have I ever seen any fights/violence on a cruise ship.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I have been on 26 cruises in the last 10 years, including spring break and holidays. I have cruised on 4 different cruise lines. I have never seen ANY type of behavior as they showed on 20/20. I have never seen any type of altercation on a ship. The closest I have come was during our last cruise. We had 2nd dinner seating. At the beginning of the 1st dinner seating, a waiter attacked the Maitre'D, Ken Byrnes, with a heavy ladle. He was badly hurt, as a result. I have seen intoxicated individuals, certainly.... I think I was one once or twice! Never seen anyone passed out!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were once standing by an elevator,and saw a girl run by crying... shortly thereafter, an officer went running by...When we docked, there was a Broward County Sheriffs car waiting, and, he was brought off the ship..I also know someone who's child was accosted.

On out first Cruise,Carnival Celebration, back in 1990, during the Funship years, there was some serious drinking, and some foolish actions by young adults, around the pool.

Fortunately, that's about all we have been witness to, but, certainly there is bad behavior onboard, as there is on land based vacations. We are sailing on ships the size of small towns..things happen. I will say watching the video, on 20/20, if I saw security running away from a situation I would not be happy. I personally was witness to someone, [crew member] falling and went to get an officer. His response was not what I expected, and, I was surprised, to say the least.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Admiral

The ONLY thing I ever witnessed was a passenger in his 40's punching a woman in her 80's because she cut the line on embarkation .
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I didn't see the 20/20 show in question, but I can tell you over the years I have seen incidence of severe drunkeness, and bartenders over serving already obviously enebriated passengers.

I've seen incidents of physical confrontations between passengers; some handled well, others not so well.

The worst was a case of domestic violence, where the ship "official" knew I was onboard as a member of the press, and a partial witness to the incident. They told me the husband was put off the ship in port the following day; imagine my surprise when I saw the man still onboard 2 days later, though his wife did tell me that he hadn't been allowed to return to their cabin.

Frankly I do believe there is a lack of a "security force" on ships these days. Many towns smaller than cruise ships have a police force.

I don't think the incidents of violence and crime are regular occurances on ships. But I do think we need to remember that the cruise industry is in many areas unregulated (self-regulated), and we shouldn't wear blinders just because we love cruising.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Wow Kuki, that was an AWESOME post. THANK YOU! I really enjoyed it and could not agree with you more.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Trip - please post more details about your last comment, what did the officer say? Was the person safetly recovered?

So Kuki, why don't they have more security on cruiseships? Most nightclubs have bouncers, why don't cruiseships have at least some individuals [big, large -muscle-y ones] who can with altercations if and when they occur?

I was surprised by the "fight" they showed on the Dream. Having sailed her in 2010 (when that incident occured) I certainly never saw the likes of what was shown. It seemed suspiciousl that the one officer was more concerned about the guy filming the fight than controlling the fight.

I know when we were on Dream.... there was in incident either that week (on a different ship) or the prior week on Dream (heck - it may have even been our sailing] where some drunken teens dove into a pool that was empty and had been netted off.

I agree that the comparison to spring-break drunkeness has nothing to do with cruising but is only relevant in a show about spring-break drunkeness.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Queen, this cruise had several instances of people falling. A child fell by the pool with hardly a glance from a security woman close by. [grrrrr]

As I was walking over to an area for a cup of tea, I witnessed a barman handling a keg of something that was pressurized. He fell,and so did the keg, which proceeded to dance around the deck.

Now this guy went down hard I saw an a guy in a blazer & name tag, and told him what just happened. He said something like, he will be ok, with a shrug...not even going over to see how he was ..Made me sick.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Admiral

I have been on 15 cruises on three different cruiselines and I have never seen any violence.

As far as drinking, I have done my share.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Admiral

This happened on the transatlantic that Kuki, and many other CM'ers sailed on..At dinner, an old codger,took his butter knife, and, attacked another old codger...he wasnt put off the ship....Kat, Kuki, remind us !

Now, this was up close and personal!

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Admiral

With over 120 total cruises, on almost all the lines, I've seen quite a few drunks, but 99% of 'em were "happy drunks" and not violent or obnoxious. I have seen a few altercations between passengers, but mostly just harsh words exchanged. We did a "spring break" cruise recently, where a BIG group of breakers stayed drunk for the entire cruise, but once again, they weren't causing anyone, any problems. (except their "daddy" when he got the bill for the booze.) I agree with Kuki, that they really should have a better security force aboard the ships,,,,if for no other reason than to enforce the rules. ie: lounger hogs, and those trying to save entire rows of seats in the theater. (Then I wouldn't have to enforce the rules for them!)

"SKY"
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Default Small towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I didn't see the 20/20 show in question, but I can tell you over the years I have seen incidence of severe drunkeness, and bartenders over serving already obviously enebriated passengers.

I've seen incidents of physical confrontations between passengers; some handled well, others not so well.

The worst was a case of domestic violence, where the ship "official" knew I was onboard as a member of the press, and a partial witness to the incident. They told me the husband was put off the ship in port the following day; imagine my surprise when I saw the man still onboard 2 days later, though his wife did tell me that he hadn't been allowed to return to their cabin.

Frankly I do believe there is a lack of a "security force" on ships these days. Many towns smaller than cruise ships have a police force.

I don't think the incidents of violence and crime are regular occurances on ships. But I do think we need to remember that the cruise industry is in many areas unregulated (self-regulated), and we shouldn't wear blinders just because we love cruising.
The town I reside in has a population of 25,000 .We do not have a police force .
Prior to boarding an HAL ship last year I inquired as to the security force on board and I was led to believe that it was quite sufficient as far as numbers and training .
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
The town I reside in has a population of 25,000 .We do not have a police force .
Prior to boarding an HAL ship last year I inquired as to the security force on board and I was led to believe that it was quite sufficient as far as numbers and training .
Henry... you may have no police force, but I'd be willing to bet at the very least your town has contracted with the police force from a nearby county, or agency.

I don't imagine you are claiming there is no policing of your town.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/