CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   How far would you drive? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/387346-how-far-would-you-drive.html)

TomS January 27th, 2012 11:06 PM

How far would you drive?

It has been some time since my last cruise, but the addiction is hitting hard. I've been planning (way) ahead for when my daughter (she will be 8 months old on Monday the 29th) would be old enough to appreciate the cruise expierence. During my planning, I was thinking about how far I would want to drive versus flying to the port of embarcation. Before, I always flew to the port city, but I lived in Denver at the time, so driving wasn't pratical unless I went to Galveston. Now, I live in Cleveland, and New York City, Baltimore, Norfolk, and even Charleston, SC are a day's drive away, and Tampa and Port Canaveral are a day and a half, enough time to arrive at the port, board, and eat lunch before the lifeboat drill. My question is how far would you want to drive for a cruise? Thanks for your help.

Manuel January 28th, 2012 12:41 AM

We drove from Connecticut to Florida several times for a cruise.

TM

Charity January 28th, 2012 01:25 AM

I will be driving from the St. Louis area to Galveston in November (and adding an hour to the trip so I can stay on major highways and avoid the majority of Houston). If the price of the cruise was right, I would consider driving anywhere. I enjoy flying, but am aggravated with the ever-increasing limitations on luggage size and the increasing fees related. I enjoy driving too and am ok with cheap (but decently rated) hotels or staying with friends scattered throughout the country.

Doug S January 28th, 2012 02:15 AM

For our usual Galveston cruise the 4 hour drive is about the same time to port as if we flew, but without the luggage restrictions and shuttle hassles, so its foolish not to drive. New Orleans is the next port over, and at 8 hours we may occasionally drive, but we're far more likely to jump on a Southwest flight. Anything further than that and driving would not even be a consideration.

snorklr45 January 28th, 2012 02:59 AM

I've driven to Galveston several times as it is the closest for me. I've flown to Florida..But would be willing to drive to New Orleans if the right cruise came along...Or to fly to other ports if the right flight sale came my way..

Lakers Fan January 28th, 2012 12:18 PM

We will be driving 2 hours to NJ for our next cruise ,that will be the furthest we've driven ,

HawkeyeFLA January 28th, 2012 01:12 PM

Living in Florida I guess I am a bit spoiled. 5 ports all with in "wake up and drive to ship" distance. My first cruise was out of FLL, with a few stops along the way, I think it took us 4 hours to get to the port. Last 2 cruises were out of MIA and about 5 hours of total time to get there. It's just a matter of getting up early enough on departure day, and for the 2 MIA cruises we were on in time for a good lunch.

Donna January 28th, 2012 04:14 PM

I could see driving a couple hours, but living in the burbs of Chicago, way too far...

MTL January 29th, 2012 09:24 AM

Driving!!

Hello cruisemates,
We drove many times from Québec City to Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral.Plan your trip well in advance not to rush.We were only adults in a car.Now our daughter lives in Palm Coast,we fly to Orlando to continue to FLL the same day.
Have a nice day,

MTL

seadog2 February 1st, 2012 08:52 PM

We usually fly out of Ontario Int. in California which is about 15 minutes from home. I will drive to LAX which is about 1 hour away. To far to drive any place else.

KDGodwin February 2nd, 2012 03:21 AM

I have actually never flown for a cruise! We live in the Phoenix area and have only taken cruises out of LA and San Diego so far. It's a 6 hour drive to both. I was with a group for one which was great because we chartered a bus and it took us right up to the terminal. :)

I am realizing why we have always driven now that I am ready to book my airfare to Seattle in September... So worth it though!

Paul Motter February 6th, 2012 03:06 PM

A great web site is www.travelmath.com....

It lets you figure out mileage, drive time and fuel costs between any two cities. I recommend it all the time for people who want to drive.

Golden1 February 6th, 2012 04:51 PM

When you drive, how much does it cost to keep your car parked at the port for a week?

MTL February 6th, 2012 06:55 PM

Parking price

Hi.
The average cost of Port parking is between 15$ to 20$ per day including the day you came in and the day you get out.
MTL

Marc February 6th, 2012 07:45 PM

Tom, great to see you back on boards again.

I have driven three hours; would probably drive as much as eight or nine hours but it is dollar driven; i.e., cost of fuel and parking at port versus air (and parking or taxi at home).

HawkeyeFLA February 7th, 2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL (Post 1413946)
Hi.
The average cost of Port parking is between 15$ to 20$ per day including the day you came in and the day you get out.
MTL

Always something to consider yeah. Thankfully for me I have friends in the Lauderdale and Miami areas. With a little planning I am able to park at their place. Which is going to come in handy if I am able to get on the 14n DCL Wonder in December. Wasn't looking forward to spending $280 or more on parking. Probably more since I am planning to fly out at least 2 days early to get some Disneyland time in. :)

KayAnnie February 8th, 2012 06:47 PM

I would personally drive about 12 hours tops. Plane tickets are just too expensive for me to justify normally. If I found a great rate though, I might consider flying.

OldFartCruiser February 8th, 2012 10:56 PM

12 hours

Because of the airfare leaving FLL or MIA on weekends when the ships return, I rent a car and drive 12 hrs. One way air to FLL & MIA is reasonable. Car rental including drop off cost and taxes is costing me $135 for my Carib. cruise in a few week. I've done this in the past and works out fine. Added benefit, no problem bringing home bottles of liqour. ;-)