Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Last Minute cruise bookings(literally)

This topic comes up once in awhile. Some people always claim to know people who have booked cruises the day they are sailing.

But I want to hear from someone who has done it personally. Has anyone ever booked a cruise on the day the ship was leaving?

If so - what year was it, what cruise line, and what kind of "deal" did you get for being so flexible?

Are there real last minute "stand-by" types of cruise fares?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default I sort of did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
This topic comes up once in awhile. Some people always claim to know people who have booked cruises the day they are sailing.

But I want to hear from someone who has done it personally. Has anyone ever booked a cruise on the day the ship was leaving?

If so - what year was it, what cruise line, and what kind of "deal" did you get for being so flexible?

In 1973 my wife and I were booked on a cruise with an Amerikanis ship .On the way back to NY the ship had a problem and would not be having a return cruise .This was 3 days before we were due ro board . Our TA said she could either give us a complete refund or attempt to get us on another cruise line .
A day before we were going to cruise we were booked on a Cunard ship .I believe it was $600 for both of us ,a cabin with a porthole .
NYC to Bermuda ,a 7 day cruise .
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you Henry....

That certainly does qualify.

But that was (what?) 1973. I guess you could say I'm looking for a little more current data.

Does anybody REALLY KNOW anyone that for certain has done this in this millennium? I am just asking because it almost feels like an urban myth. I hear stories all the time, "I know someone who booked a cruise an went the same day"

But I don't know anyone who really knows someone who did this, except Henry, of course.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is the closest I can come to answering this. My cruising started in 1990...somewhere in the years inbetween, while we were checking in for a cruise, a couple came up behind us in line, just off a cruise,and wanted to get on ours...The end of this story is, I don't know if they made it.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I've booked and sailed within 48 hours a couple of times.
I've booked and sailed within 24 hours one time.

All Carnival. Within past 10 years.

It was cheap or I wouldn't have done it....they waived single supplement on one, reduced on the others. I think the best was about $220 solo for 4day cruise. Others were $360's solo on 5day.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

I did, waiting and monitoring - booked and paid early AM the day of departure - RCCL Majesty Nov./Dec.2010

ready to go, - anytime....

P.S.

Thanking all of you terrific potential cruise mates for your interest in my upcoming Celebrity Solstice Transatlantic sailing and other future cabin-share sailings.

I am now all set, looking forward to enjoy a well priced starboard balcony in hopefully fair weathers and have no new plans until November 2012 at the earliest.

Until then, wishing all of u fair winds and smooth sailings.

Last edited by Warum; February 14th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good, thank you. How much did you guys pay, and where did you go to book the cruise? Did you call the cruise line directly?
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Haven't booked that late, but added someone at the last minute to my solo cruise. The only problem was, and it wasn't a problem, was he wasn't on any rosters that were preprinted. That was NCL Sun.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do remember, before 9-11 you could go just about last minute, but that changed and I've read you have to be booked at least 72 hours before the cruise departs?? Anyone get one with that time frame recently and how much did you have to pay, etc.?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I do remember, before 9-11 you could go just about last minute, but that changed and I've read you have to be booked at least 72 hours before the cruise departs?? Anyone get one with that time frame recently and how much did you have to pay, etc.?
Donna,

The 72 hour thing was "The Urban Myth" propagated by many people, including me, who thought it was true. It was that way for a couple of months after 9/11 but that was all.

A few years ago I contacted Jennifer at Carnival and their policy was "day of sailing" and Royal Caribbean's was 24 hours.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike,
We're actually waiting to hear from cruisers that did book at the very last minute and recently...Just made us wonder how close to sailing you can actually book and what kind of dollars you can save?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Really interesting. My husband is military, so we are often dealing in last minute leave. Currently, we are waiting to hear if we can take leave in 2 weeks, and will book as soon as we get the go ahead. It'll be interesting to hear how close we can actually cut it and if we can still go through a travel agent etc.
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Admiral

KA,
Be sure to keep us posted, hopefully you will book a cruise that fits your schedule. Do you have a ship or two in mind.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Donna,
Yep. I am looking most seriously at the Celebrity Eclipse and the Carnival Liberty. I actually posted a poll on our facebook page, letting our listeners vote on which ship they want to hear about. The Eclipse is ahead by several votes (including my own). Here's hoping he finds out about his leave soon. (Fingers crossed!)
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

KayAnnie, I have sailed on both and had great times on both, but night and day.....I vote the Eclipse!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Admiral

How are the itin's? Are they both the same, close?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Very similar. Both Eastern. Eclipse goes to St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan (late arrival) and Liberty does St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan (early) and Half Moon Cay. We prefer the Liberty itin, but have most recently sailed Carnival, so Celebrity would be a nice change.
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Admiral

That is a tough choice, how about the difference in price? If they are close, I would go with Celebrity too..

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Almost identical in price, unless I were to go with a guaranteed inside on the Carnival Liberty. (not excited about that)