Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Discovery Channel Cruise Ship Disaster: Inside the Concordia 2-19-12 at 10:00

Discovery Channel

Cruise Ship Disaster: Inside the Concordia | Premieres Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 10PM

Who is going to be watching this?

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is the show I have been waiting for...the crew was at the Mass. Maritime Academy filming, just a few weeks ago..the show was put together very fast.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 19th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Trip,
Just set my DVR for this...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

So...

Who watched it and what do you think?

I did. I learned many things that should have been reported a long time ago, and I really do not understand why it has taken so long to get a sequence of events.

It seems to me the biggest problem was losing power to the engines, which essentially meant the ship had to slow down on its own. At one point - just before the ship changed direction (it was reported on the second day) that the captain dropped anchor. If that is true and the anchors were holding the ship, then they could have done the fast muster drill then.

But last night we heard people on thw bridge saying - let's let it drift to shallower water, then at the least it will sit on the bottom. Which was true. But either the ship hit bottom sooner than they thought, or for some reason they could not stop it before it hit land.

Were the anchors already down, dragging along, because they couldn't pull them up? Or did they ever really drop anchor (was that misreported).

See - to me the big question has always been "why did they wait to abandon shop? They knew it was sinking. But how fast was it sinking, and what was their entire strategy, and why didn't it work out?

In the show they say "we had a fortunate accident, if the ship had sunk in deeper many more people would have died." - IF IT HAD SUNK.

But the question is "how long would it have taken it to sink?"

No one has ever answered that - and it is critical because it is very possible the evac could have been much earlier while she ship was still upright.

I can understand the strategy of wanting to get closer to land in case the ship sank quickly. But aren't they capable of calculating how much time they have before a ship will sink if it has "this big" a hole, in "this many watertight compartments" and they are taking in "this much water per minute?"

It seems to me the most important thing would have been getting everyone in a life jacket and on an upper deck. Then start the evacuation immediately. Even if the ship then sank people would be floating and all the lifeboats would be in the water.

I am just expressing some surprise that these things have not been thought out in advance. Surely the cruise industry knows no ship is unsinkable, Titanic tought us that, and this was a classic "Titanic-style" accident.