Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:42 AM
Captain

Default Cruise and all inclusive resort

The last cruise I was on, Norwegien Pearl, we had a group of around 90 Germans leave the ship and another 90 board the ship in Jamaica.

I got to thinking about this and wouldn't it be nice, with airfares as high as they are, to be able to combine a cruise and a all inclusive resort stay at the island of your choice?

Say you wanted to stay at Sandels in Jamaica for a week. You board a ship that has Jamaica in it's itinerary, get off when it visits Jamaica and then the following week you reboard the ship to finish your cruise.

I wonder how viable this would be. Would anyone else out there be interested in doing a cruise like this?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think something like this would have some interest. After all, they do something similar in Alaska where they have the combined land/sea tour. I believe most of those are completely run by the cruise line, including where you stay, but I bet they could make something like this work.

I personally would rather just do a 14 day Caribbean cruise rather than a 7 day land, 7 day sea vacation. I stayed at a Sandals in St. Lucia last year for my brother in law's wedding. While we had a good time, the all inclusive, 1 island resort just wasn't for us. There was nothing bad about the trip, but we just prefer cruising. Just like some people would prefer the all inclusive resorts over cruising. Its just PP.

I guess I just like the ship atmosphere too much to give it up for 7 days. Now if I cruised several times per year, perhaps my feelings/interests would change but I bet there would be quite a bit of interest in this, especially those that have never done either type of vacation. It gives them the opportunity to see what they would like best.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Cruise & stay is possible & what these people did sounds great, people do this from UK to the Med but a flight is involved. We can do this to the Caribbean from the UK, fly to Barbados, stay then cruise home on a repositioning TA.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Admiral

I remember that our S. Caribbean cruise took on passengers in San Juan on Sunday and Barbados on Wednesday. You could use either of these as a starting point and have some resort time before and/or after your cruise.

Americans generally take less vacation time than their European counterparts.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Admiral

So we get back to the problem of people getting on at different ports & drills?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - Royal Caribbean is going to start boarding people in Gudeloupe, on the 4th day of cruise that started in San Juan. They just announced.

This is called "interporting" and they announved an expansion of it after the Concordia incident. It seemed like pretty odd timing to me.

NCL also announced they were starting interporting in Europe on Epic in 2013 - you can board in Rome or Naples (I think) and stay for seven days and get off in the same port.

When I worked for Holland America in 1993 we were taking passengers up to Juneau who then got off for a land tour and then returned to the ship afterwards (seven days later) for the return trip. So it isn't a completely new concept.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Question What about muster drills?

Paul, how can cruise ships interport if the people who embark on Day 4 had not done a muster drill? Now the CLIA is mandating muster drills be done before embarkation.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews