Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Best Cruise Lines for Drink Prices?

I was just doing a little research and recollection, and I was thinking that some cruise lines are better for drinking than others. So, I would like you to share your personal experience on this.

I do not drink cocktails, and I generally only drink wine at dinner. I prefer beer.

But it seems to me (and correct me if I am wrong) that for drinking wine by the glass Carnival is the best value. As I recall, the bartender uses a sized glass to measure the wine, and it is usually about 3.5 ounces (or so, I am not a bartender). On the other hand, on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean it seems to me that wine comes in rather small glasses and they usually only pour about two fingers.

For beer, Royal Caribbean used to have a house brand, but I heard recently that they discontinued it. Carnival just created its first house brand RedFrog beer. Is it good?

For cocktails - who has the best prices and pours the strongest?

Please share your experiences - and we all imbibe differently, so you don't have to be an expert, just tell us what you have noticed about any difference between cruise lines; or how to get better value on all cruise lines...
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Admiral

I've found NCL, Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean all to be pretty reasonable and on par. Celebrity I found expensive. HAL had an amazing wine punch card that worked out to around $3.20 a glass and it honestly wasn't bad wine.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hmmm... I like the sound of that wine punch card.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Royal Belgian Ale was the name of the Rpyal caribbean beer - does anyone know if it is still available. As I recall, it was NOT available on Freedom of the Seas when I went the last time.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Hmmm... I like the sound of that wine punch card.
Not sure they do it anymore, Sadly

Hawaii By land x 2
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Admiral

P&O UK are much the same or cheaper than a "Pub" at home, wine is always too expensive especially when you are paying 15 for something YOU KNOW you can get three bottles for that much...We found Celebrity to be variable depended on the bartender....
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am not a big drinker,and hubby rarely imbibes, so, I don't really know from pricing.I will buy a bottle of wine for dinner..I dont have eclectic tastes, so Berringers white zin is what I get, and, the mark up, just amazes me.

Next month, I am expecting this bottle to be close to $30.00.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I found Royal Caribbean drink prices slightly cheaper than Carnival for cocktails. The drink of the day was lower in price, for example.

How much are the drinks on Celebrity? We are on the Eclipse next week, and I want to prepare myself.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
First Mate

I've got about 140 days on HAL and never heard of a "wine punch card". On the other hand, HAL does sell a bar beverage card that gives a 10% discount; a $50 card for $45 or a $100 card for $90. I'm also a wine drinker, and for the best prices one should specify a "house" wine. You can still choose from quite a few, and the price the last time around was $4.55 plus the normal 15% service charge; not at all bad, IMO. I like their pinot grigio and their sauvignon blanc, and their merlot isn't bad, either. Also, I once commented to the wine steward that I thought a "serving" of wine was supposed to be five ounces, but that the last glass I'd been given could not possibly have been more than three and a half; he not only agreed with me, he brought me a free glass. And it was noticible that for the rest of my cruise my glass at dinner definitely had the requisite five ounces.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Princess sells "Buckets of Beer" where you get 5 bottles for the price of 4 (Bud/Bud Light Aluminum bottles). If you pre-order beer before the cruise, you get 6 bottles for the price of 5 (Becks, Coors Light, MGD, Miller light and Dos Equis).

I think you can get the buckets of MGD, Coors etc... at the bars as well.

I wish they would have a better beer selection but I'm sure its hard appealing to everyone and easier to go with the mass market brands.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they had their own Ale. That would be nice, especially if it was on tap.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wekk, I'll tell you, I like a strong beer, and Royal Belgian (the RCL house brand) was a strong beer, two and I was set. That was the best thing about it, it was probably 5% alcohol while a lot of beer is 3.2%, that's a big dfference 3 Royal Belgians = 5 budweisers.

I don't know how strong Carnival's RedFrog is - does anyone know?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
I've got about 140 days on HAL and never heard of a "wine punch card". On the other hand, HAL does sell a bar beverage card that gives a 10% discount; a $50 card for $45 or a $100 card for $90. I'm also a wine drinker, and for the best prices one should specify a "house" wine. You can still choose from quite a few, and the price the last time around was $4.55 plus the normal 15% service charge; not at all bad, IMO. I like their pinot grigio and their sauvignon blanc, and their merlot isn't bad, either. Also, I once commented to the wine steward that I thought a "serving" of wine was supposed to be five ounces, but that the last glass I'd been given could not possibly have been more than three and a half; he not only agreed with me, he brought me a free glass. And it was noticible that for the rest of my cruise my glass at dinner definitely had the requisite five ounces.
They changed the punch card for the deal you describe above. You could buy a 10 or 20 punch card.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to hollyevans119
Default cheap drinks

I had a look on a website with a grid of all the drink prices and i found that Fred Olsen is the cheapest for all drinks!
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Admiral

The Royal Ale was not listed on the bar menu aboard Enchantment Of The Seas this past June and I didn't see any bottles of it displayed.

I do like to sit in the pubs on Royal Caribbean ships and have a pint of stout or two, especially the Murphy's they have on tap aboard Oasis and Allure.