Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Captain

Smile Why is it cheaper

I read a post the other day about smartcruiser.com so I thought I would wonder over there to see what was going on. My wife and I are thinking about going on a seven day Western Caribbean cruise with Celeberty in April of 2013.I checked the price for the cruise at smartcruiser.com and it ended up being $982.64 pp for a total of $1965.28.Then I went to Celebertys web site and their price was $1132.53 pp for a total of $2265.06. Now these
prices are the bottom line after taxes and every other thing they tack on there.Plus with smart cruiser you get a $135 dollar credit.What I was wondering is how Smartcruiser can sell the cruise for less then Celeberty? It seems to me I have read more then one post where they stated that things were changed from years ago(well before my time of being interseted in cruising)So everyone had to sell the cruise at the same price. Or am I in correct about this.I have looked at a lot of websites for this cruise and they were all priced the same until I went to smartcruisers so whats up? Is this site legit or should we shy away?
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Hi Dhill

It could be that Smartcruiser has group rates?

My story is that I have a current booking with X - cc class - booked solo and the price I am paying is less than the twin share rate with X on their website. So as a solo I am sailing for less than you and your wife would each pay - go figure. BTW I am not complaining and this is not the first time I have managed to achieve this.

It pays to shop around.

Annie
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Hi Dhill

It could be that Smartcruiser has group rates?

My story is that I have a current booking with X - cc class - booked solo and the price I am paying is less than the twin share rate with X on their website. So as a solo I am sailing for less than you and your wife would each pay - go figure. BTW I am not complaining and this is not the first time I have managed to achieve this.

It pays to shop around.

Annie
I dont understand this group rate thing do thy pay for X amount of rooms and get them for cheaper because the bought in bulk or what?If you were to go to the cruise line and say I want 50 rooms would they cut you a deal and then would you be able to turn around and resell tham at a profit?
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I dont understand this group rate thing do thy pay for X amount of rooms and get them for cheaper because the bought in bulk or what?If you were to go to the cruise line and say I want 50 rooms would they cut you a deal and then would you be able to turn around and resell tham at a profit?
Dhill

I don't know the detail of how Group Rates work but maybe one of the TAs who post on the forum can supply more of the detail.

I just take advantage of group rates

Annie
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Some lines will allow TAs to discount cruises. Those trying to sell in volume might discount, particularly if they do not have the higher overhead of maintaining an office that clients would want to visit.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Admiral

I also see that Celebrity is having a weekend sale. Maybe this site posted to sale prices early and then were going to hold the reservations until the sale date.

Whatever you do, make sure your CC payments go directly to the cruise line not the TA.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Captain

You have asked a very simple question that has a very simple answer.

Most cruise lines no longer allow TAs to discount cruise fares.
But that doesn't really matter very much.
The TA can still discount his commission - resulting in a lower overall price.

At the end of the day, it would be very easy for a cruise line to undersell the Travel Agents. But the cruise lines won't do it. We need the support of all those agencies, and our corporate offices are not set up to handle the millons of transactions the TAs handle on a daily basis.

You will rarely:
Get a better geal at the winery than you can get at your local wine shop.
Get a better deal through General Motors than you can get at your local GM dealer.
Get a better deal through the cruise line than you can get from a TA.

All for the same reasons.........
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
You have asked a very simple question that has a very simple answer.

Most cruise lines no longer allow TAs to discount cruise fares.
But that doesn't really matter very much.
The TA can still discount his commission - resulting in a lower overall price.

At the end of the day, it would be very easy for a cruise line to undersell the Travel Agents. But the cruise lines won't do it. We need the support of all those agencies, and our corporate offices are not set up to handle the millons of transactions the TAs handle on a daily basis.

You will rarely:
Get a better geal at the winery than you can get at your local wine shop.
Get a better deal through General Motors than you can get at your local GM dealer.
Get a better deal through the cruise line than you can get from a TA.

All for the same reasons.........
Thank you that explains it.So thats why most websites I have looked out have the same price as the cruise line so they get the most commission.But when smartcruiser lowers their commisions which results in a lower price they are hopeing to bring more people in.More volume more commisions makes sence