Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Jewel of the Seas or Carnival Fascination

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, and hoping to get some good feedback on a question. My wife and I have been on 2 cruises, both with RCCL, Mariner
( 7 nights in 2004) and Monarch (2010). We loved the Mariner, it was our first cruise ever, honeymoon, brand new ship, and we were in dire need of a vacation.

We went on the Monarch for a quick 3 night cruise in 2010. Although still nice, no where compared to the Mariner, but still a good time.

So here is my question. We loved both cruises, but we've never experienced anything else. We are thinking of doing another cruise this year, but because we don't want to fly anywhere (Flights are ridiculous right now) from Charlotte, NC, and can't do any more than 5 nights.....we are kind of limited in our options. Basically, it's coming down to the Jewel of the Seas which leaves from Tampa (9 hour drive) or Carnival Fascincation which leaves from Jacksonville (6 hours).

I know that Carnival Fascination is not in the same class as the Jewel, but I'm open to trying it out. We've already done RCCL twice and have a good idea of what the Jewel has to offer since it's almost right in between the Mariner and Monarch.

We are 35 years young, and although we can't hang like we used to, we do like to enjoy plenty of drinks and entertainment on the cruises (loved the piano bar on the Mariner, probably my favorite part). While we are not looking for a fraternity party, we do like to have a good time and have some drinks.

Could anyone be kind enough to give their opinions of Carnival Fascination, and/or their experience betwenn RCCL and Carnival. The jackpot would be if someone has been on both ships.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to any responses.
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpoppagorgio View Post
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, and hoping to get some good feedback on a question. My wife and I have been on 2 cruises, both with RCCL, Mariner
( 7 nights in 2004) and Monarch (2010). We loved the Mariner, it was our first cruise ever, honeymoon, brand new ship, and we were in dire need of a vacation.

We went on the Monarch for a quick 3 night cruise in 2010. Although still nice, no where compared to the Mariner, but still a good time.

So here is my question. We loved both cruises, but we've never experienced anything else. We are thinking of doing another cruise this year, but because we don't want to fly anywhere (Flights are ridiculous right now) from Charlotte, NC, and can't do any more than 5 nights.....we are kind of limited in our options. Basically, it's coming down to the Jewel of the Seas which leaves from Tampa (9 hour drive) or Carnival Fascincation which leaves from Jacksonville (6 hours).

I know that Carnival Fascination is not in the same class as the Jewel, but I'm open to trying it out. We've already done RCCL twice and have a good idea of what the Jewel has to offer since it's almost right in between the Mariner and Monarch.

We are 35 years young, and although we can't hang like we used to, we do like to enjoy plenty of drinks and entertainment on the cruises (loved the piano bar on the Mariner, probably my favorite part). While we are not looking for a fraternity party, we do like to have a good time and have some drinks.

Could anyone be kind enough to give their opinions of Carnival Fascination, and/or their experience betwenn RCCL and Carnival. The jackpot would be if someone has been on both ships.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to any responses.
I don't have a ton of info for you, but I have a little...my boyfriend and I are going on Jewel on 3/31 out of Tampa and we chose it based on his having been on Carnival twice and RC once before and he much preferred the food and ambience of RC over Carnival. We are both 37 and agree that we don't want to be the oldest or youngest on board. I'm a first time cruiser and have been reading and watching everything I can find on Jewel and I'm impressed so far...good luck with your planning!
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have sailed the Fascination twice in it's heyday,and enjoyed each cruise. I have not sailed the Radiance class, which is what the Jewel is. In all my years of moderating, I have seen how much this ship is loved,and when she makes the repo cruise from my home port of Boston, it's filled to the brim, with happy cruisers, the October one, had many of my pals on it.

Given just the difference in the age of the ships, the Jewel would be my first choice, but, add in all the other good things I've read and heard, The Fascination would be scratched off my list.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've been on Radiance and Jewel and both are the absolutely most beautiful ships sailing..Don't think you'll regret sailing on Jewel one bit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Just mildly curious why if you're considering Tampa that you haven't considered sailing out of Canaveral? Or do those 2 ships have ports that most interest you? Canaveral would only be a tad further than Jacksonville really...

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For me it would be a "no-brainer". The Radiance class of ships, which Brilliance is, are the most beautiful ships at sea. You truly know you are on a ship with the large amount of glass and fantastic views that this gives you.

They also are larger and more modern than Fascination.

I have been fortunate enough to sail on Radiance, Serenade and Brilliance of the Seas and loved each one. My daughter will be sailing on Serenade this weekend.

Take care and enjoy whichever cruise you choose.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me