Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Jason Leppert

Default Dancing Onboard Cruise Ships

Hi everybody,

I was recently asked about available opportunities onboard cruise ships for ballroom dancing. So, I thought I would ask all of you what your experience has been for the best ballroom dancing onboard as well as other forms of dance such as at the more modern dance clubs.

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Admiral

I cannot recall ever seeing Ballroom Dancing as either an activity or something to view .
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm trying to remember if it was a Princess or HAL ship...we enjoyed watching the couples..Many came prepared with dancing shoes, beaded gowns, and tuxes...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Always, at least on longer cruises, dance instructors and ballroom dancing on Regent. Also, dance hosts on practically all cruises. I know of at least one cruise where they had a dancing with the stars competition with guests matched up with various professional dancers.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM
First Mate

On every HAL cruise I've done that lasted more than a week, there have been introductory dance classes offered, usually in the Crow's Nest. Salsa, cha-cha, foxtrot, and once meringue. Only one of the 7-day cruises had one such lesson.

In the evenings ballroom dancers favor the Ocean Bar, which does not have a terribly large dance floor but usually plenty for the number of couples using it.
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Admiral

I remember the CD on our Princess cruise held several dance classes and many took advantage of the music in the lobby to dance. Some of our Carnival cruises have had dance classes but more along the lines of swing and salsa.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Default Cunard

I am reliably informed that there is a lot of ballroom dancing on Cunard.

P&O this summer I think has one of the gues judges from Strictly Come Dancing, the UK original of Dancing with the Stars, on a cruise teaching dance classes.

Annie
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to dance1

Most ships have discos which play decent music for swing jive hustle etc. (Most DJ's play to the crowd, so you take your chances on that. It depends on who's there. If you want room on the floor to do ballroom, the only ones I am aware of are the (Cunard) Queens (Mary II, Victoria and Elizabeth). (Crystal may also be good. I have not been.) They are not quite regulation ballroom, but as close as it gets on the ocean. If you bvecoem aware of others that have a real bballroom floor, please let me know. :-)
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
First Mate

I must agree that the Ocean Bar on HAL ships offers great opportunities for ballroom dancing, and also offers lessons in the mornings. My son and his wife, who had been on a collegiate competition dance team but had little opportunity to dance for 5 or 6 years after that, were using the dance floor there one afternoon to try to recall some of their routines; and although they did not know it at the time, the leader of the combo that played there in the evenings was watching them. That evening they played a tango for the first time on the cruise; and every night thereafter they repeated it.