Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Default FLL to Miami

Well, I paid my November cruise off today and am now thinking airfare. I've never sailed out of Miami before. Actually, I've never been to Florida before. I'm thinking of flying in the day before and flying out a day after the cruise in case something goes wrong. I like to have my bases covered that way. I already have a place in mind to stay. I've been looking at airfare and want to go ahead and use southwest if I can...but they fly into FLL instead of Miami. Anyone know of a taxi or bus service that would take me to my motel in Miami and how much it would cost? I am not sure of how/what my cousin is going to do about her arrangements in flying in. She may fly directly from California or she may fly here and then come with me...but that seems pricey...but at most there will only be two people to transport.

Also, I do plan to get the insurance but have not done so yet. Buying from the cruiseline is always kind of pricey. Anyone tell of of a better option?
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Captain

If you haven't booked the hotel yet I'd look into one that has free shuttle service. Some offer pickup from airport & drop off at cruiseport. You pay a bit more than the cheapest motel but will save quite a bit in transportation to make up for it. Many internet comparison sites will allow you to search by hotel that has a shuttle.

South Florida has supershuttle though I used SAS last time. Airport to port for $15 vs supershuttle $23. Of course with supershuttle you don't need a reservation so it's a bit faster, showup and the next van takes you.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I was going to also suggest a hotel with a shuttle service (though I don't know of any).

Although it was years ago, I had a bad supershuttle service, so I would not recommend them. I'm sure things have improved.

We fly SW to; so we always fly into FLL. Although we do pre-cruise stays when we fly into MCO and cruise out of PC; .... we've always done day-in/day-out with FLL.

I generally rule out cruises that cruise out of Miami, because Everglades is so convenient. Please let me know your experience.

Moraine - your avatar made me chuckle and just reminded me of something from our disney cruise. Most days, we saw Captain hook, in his full costume (big foam head - think mickey mouse). In the villians tonight show, he appears as an actor (i.e you see him in human not cartoon form). My 5 year old was convinced he was NOT the real Captian Hook - it was Captian Jack Sparrow dressed up as Captain Hook!.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I generally rule out cruises that cruise out of Miami, because Everglades is so convenient. Please let me know your experience.
Most though not all shuttles will happily take you from FLL to Port of Miami as well and it's only a few dollars more.

View the ports as interchangeable though I did find flying to Mia then cruising to FLL was a bit of a pain...they actually went to FLL first to pickup more passengers so it took awhile and we were already late. Lucky our driver understood and booked it. =)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Familiar Face

I usually fly Southwest airlines into FLL because of the price. I then pick a hotel near the airport and stay overnight. Then I go back to the airport and take the cruise shuttle.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just fooud out that the cruise lines run shuttles from the port of Miami to both MIA ($20 per person) or FLL ($30 per person).

Especially if you are travelling solo this is the best bet - but even of you have two people a taxi from Miami port to FLL is going to be about $60- $70 (last time I did it, maybe more now).
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Before I would book SW, check all your carrier options, that would get you into Miami vs FLL...the shuttle costs, could make up the difference,and be much more convenient...in my searchs, I have found SW is not always the cheapest, even with the free baggage.....

Go to insuremytrip.com, plug in your info,and get side by side comparisons.
Easy at a glance, to see it all.

SAS Rides, I don't believe, will drop you off in Miami, other than the port.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator